Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Benavidez looks like the goods.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default David Benavidez looks like the goods.

I actually had to catch myself during the Gavril beat up as hype has a way of overtaking reality. But I was very impressed with his improvement. He looked fluid, composed and displayed great ring awareness. Now I get he had the luxury of facing a hard nail he had already fought over 12 but I think this kid is here to stay. Only hope he stays at 168 and resist adding weight that he's already carried.

Love to see him with another defense or two and then mix in with fellow champs.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Benavidez looks like the goods.

There are some decent fights at 168 for him. Ramirez is the best option at the moment and I think he is beatable. Ramirez is pretty good but seems to be missing something that makes him really good. Then he has the winner of the 168 tournament.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He seems so seasoned for a guy with a minimal amateur background. Has a great engine, and has shown a willingness to improve. He does need to tighten his defense but I like what I see.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I actually had to catch myself during the Gavril beat up as hype has a way of overtaking reality. But I was very impressed with his improvement. He looked fluid, composed and displayed great ring awareness. Now I get he had the luxury of facing a hard nail he had already fought over 12 but I think this kid is here to stay. Only hope he stays at 168 and resist adding weight that he's already carried.

Love to see him with another defense or two and then mix in with fellow champs.
    He has been on my "To watch" list since last year. Top tier talent. Needs a bit more power, but he still is exciting to watch.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    He seems so seasoned for a guy with a minimal amateur background. Has a great engine, and has shown a willingness to improve. He does need to tighten his defense but I like what I see.
    Hard to believe just 15 ama bouts. He has some gaps to work on over 24 rnds with Gavril, got clipped on the ropes a couple times and when Gavril opened rounds shooting a hard constant jab Benavides closed down a bit and started reacting second. But that varied arsenal, talk about gears on an uppercut, and matter of fact poise and confidence stood out. He's definitely a kid who knows he belongs in the room. For all the talk of Eubanks Jr off a loss on the same day I'd pick Benavidez to take that one.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard to believe just 15 ama bouts. He has some gaps to work on over 24 rnds with Gavril, got clipped on the ropes a couple times and when Gavril opened rounds shooting a hard constant jab Benavides closed down a bit and started reacting second. But that varied arsenal, talk about gears on an uppercut, and matter of fact poise and confidence stood out. He's definitely a kid who knows he belongs in the room. For all the talk of Eubanks Jr off a loss on the same day I'd pick Benavidez to take that one.
    His father is a very underrated trainer, his brother is also a former undefeated champ. I think he beats Ramirez.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm hearing Benavidez night have failed a VADA test.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearing it was coke rather than PEDs.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearing it was coke rather than PEDs.
    Well at least he isn’t cheating...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oi vey not smart. Has to fall under recreational drug regardless of how dumb and self destructive it is for him. But if it's on the banned substances list then dirty is dirty in their eyes I suppose. Makes you wonder how much the promotional yo-yo and fight fall outs have been mashed in with personal habits and partying it up. He may not be suspended but for a kid just realizing the 'big time' and fame he needs to get his head right. It is the WBC so you never really know what they'll do. Didn't Cuadras test 'dirty' for alcohol and Sulieman talked about saving his life and helping him with personal rehab etc etc . It was like a sympathy suspension the way he sold it. "Alcohol"..mm hmm.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They stripped him . What an inconsistent 'make it up as we go' bunch of clowns.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nobody has any idea if he actually has a problem with it, bit sanctimonious to be saying he has to get his head right or anything like that. Could be something he does at a party once in a blue moon. It’s a stimulant, wouldn’t affect a young athlete one way or another in the absolute slightest unless it’s a habit that affects other lifestyle choices. Stripping him is an absolute joke, and so is anyone getting on a high horse over this imo. God only knows how many athletes have done it here and there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Nobody has any idea if he actually has a problem with it, bit sanctimonious to be saying he has to get his head right or anything like that. Could be something he does at a party once in a blue moon. It’s a stimulant, wouldn’t affect a young athlete one way or another in the absolute slightest unless it’s a habit that affects other lifestyle choices. Stripping him is an absolute joke, and so is anyone getting on a high horse over this imo. God only knows how many athletes have done it here and there.
    Yeh he may not be on the road to ruin but it's not exactly like just enjoying a joint every now and then. Experiences vary per the individual and lifestyle and the shat can be very addictive. Often you don't know addiction is a 'problem' until you're even deeper in the darker hole and as he's experiencing first hand, it's costly in more than one way. For a green young kid who was leaping back and forth with promotion, has had big fights fall out and is just tasting his first stardom I as a fan would like to see him not dabble in the nonsense. We've all sadly seen that movie before.

Looks like they are naming him 'champion in recess' and he'll have to wait for the winner of Dirrell v Avni Yildirim. Once again wbc never fails to collect those sanctioning fees . Not clear if they'll suspend or not.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yeh he may not be on the road to ruin but it's not exactly like just enjoying a joint every now and then. Experiences vary per the individual and lifestyle and the shat can be very addictive. Often you don't know addiction is a 'problem' until you're even deeper in the darker hole and as he's experiencing first hand, it's costly in more than one way. For a green young kid who was leaping back and forth with promotion, has had big fights fall out and is just tasting his first stardom I as a fan would like to see him not dabble in the nonsense. We've all sadly seen that movie before.

Looks like they are naming him 'champion in recess' and he'll have to wait for the winner of Dirrell v Avni Yildirim. Once again wbc never fails to collect those sanctioning fees . Not clear if they'll suspend or not.
    Didn’t mean to single you out ofc, and you don’t have to tell me anything about addiction. People handle different substances differently though. On a per use kinda thing, I actually don’t think it’s any different to enjoying a joint now and then. I was a daily pot smoker for years and it caused me a lot of grief, I’ve only dabbled in the other stuff here and there socially and it never came close to being a problem or anything that affected me much, aside from that it let’s you just keep drinking entirely too much Just saying we don’t know, this was a random test right? Cocaine won’t stay in your system long at all, which could mean it’s a habit, or just that he’s very unlucky. Like I said the list of great fighters who had storied careers and did it here and there would be very long.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Same crap they pulled on Cuadras (although he wasn't a titleholder).

I can understand his situation, money and a bit of fame opens all kinds of doors. Better to hit it on the head early tho, thing for me is that it delays a unification fight for Benavidez.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information