Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Dubois v Cojanu/Yarde v Reeves - 8/3/19 Royal Albert Hall

Possible good step up this for Dubois
    Cojuna has been the distance with Parker but also been smashed in 2 rounds by Ortiz.
    The best UK boxing venue by a mile too if any of you are lucky enough to have seen a fight there.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dubois v Cojanu/Yarde v Reeves - 8/3/19 Royal Albert Hall

I really don't rate Dubois , he is to upright , stiff, and lacks the punch variety to be a top fighter.
    His distance fight with Kevin Johnson showed how unadaptable he is.

Yarde needs to be fighting for the title soon, why is he wasting time fighting comedian Vic Reeves ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cojanu will fold up pretty easily compared to Johnson who was at least skilled and stubborn enough to bluff his way through.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How cool would a fight between Joyce v Dubois be?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fights are shit but the venue is the most eye-catching - Royal Albert Hall.

Back in the day that was a boxing venue you could instantly recognise.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Went tgere about 3 times when i was a kid. (Mick duff shows i think) Pat Barret that sort of era, i was only about 11 years old but loved it!!
    Not a bad seat in the house either, easily the best boxing venue I've been too 😎

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Yarde ready to shoulder burden of expectation at history-laced Royal Albert Hall

After The Damned, a topless ranting Muhammad Ali and a thousand nylon-clad thighs from Miss World nights, it is time for the Beast from Stratford to walk out under the strobing beam of a star’s light at the Royal Albert Hall.

On Friday night professional boxing returns to the ancient and beautiful venue for just the second time since 1999 and Anthony Yarde, known as ‘The Beast’, fights an American coastguard called Travis Reeves in a ring heavy with fabulous memories. The very finest to ever box in Britain fought inside the glorious round hall, plush with drapes, velvet, fat chairs, purple ropes, the grand organ and echoes in corridors from a thousand concerts.

There were also a few stinkers, men convicted of ring larceny long before their fights ended and articulate booing filled the acoustic brilliance of the venue. One Tuesday in October 1980 there was an event dubbed The Night of the Tijuana Tumblers; it entered boxing folklore, a night so awful it has never been forgotten. It has also been added to the sport’s rich lexicon and since that night all inept, collapsing and canvas-seeking imports are known as Tijuana Tumblers.

On that night four Mexican boxers went down in a total of just seven uncompleted rounds, their combined collapse was comic in the end and took under fifteen minutes. The BBC cameras were there to record the tumbling quartet – Mendez, Castro, Lopez and Torres – for the following night’s television and Harry Carpenter, his knuckles white with fury on the microphone, had to spread dignity like butter during the Second World War.

The ignoble art and the tricky men and women it attracted certainly played a regular role in the venerable hall’s daily life throughout the late Sixties, Seventies, Eighties and Nineties.

It was Frank Bruno’s home, the blood of countless champions has soiled the old canvas over decades and Naseem Hamed once transformed the venue when he put in a 300-second appearance in 1995. Hamed entered the ring that night from a space between two of the ornate gin-soaked boxes, dancing through the comfy swivel chairs, down the gentle slope, his music fierce, to vault walls and the ring ropes before the demolition of a Colombian – not a tumbler under any flag, by any stretch – called Juan Polo Perez. It felt like a cultural coup that night and it probably was: The kid was in town, stuff your organ.

“It’s an iconic place to fight,” Yarde acknowledged. “I want to be a part of its history.” It is a rich one, especially at light-heavyweight, with the ghosts of British boxers Chris Finnegan, John Conteh and Dennis Andries all haunting the industrial size dressing rooms – designed for an orchestra and not a 12-stone man, his trainers and somebody hired for the night to stop a cut.

The Royal Albert Hall always felt like boxing in a time machine, a gentler time that was oddly far more vicious, with men wearing old and tiny 8-ounce purple gloves by Bailey’s and the three-roped ring a blur behind a drifting and rising cloud of smoke. I can remember standing at the top of the hall for fights in the Seventies, only dreaming of what riches existed beyond the heavy drapes that closed and made soundproof the corridors surrounding the seats and boxes far below. It felt, years later, that covering a fight from ringside was a privilege.

There was a lot of expectation on those rare nights – hope and dread often enough that the Tumblers were not back in town – before the records of fighters were known, scrutinised and dismissed. On Friday night Reeves arrives with a reputation for resilience, which is good because Yarde has stopped or knocked out 16 of his 17 victims. Yarde is expected to be tested, Reeves is expected to test him, but as Yarde is finding out, expectation is most definitely a beast of burden. He is definitely in the right ring to leave an impression. It will be a joy to be back.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ant...134300850.html

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couldn’t remember if I’d seen Dubois or not, but i watched the Kevin Johnson fight I remember, wasn’t impressed. Granted Johnson is the ultimate fight to survive type, but guys know that coming in, and should know they just need to do something dynamic, get creative as there’s fuck all coming their way.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Couldn’t remember if I’d seen Dubois or not, but i watched the Kevin Johnson fight I remember, wasn’t impressed. Granted Johnson is the ultimate fight to survive type, but guys know that coming in, and should know they just need to do something dynamic, get creative as there’s fuck all coming their way.
    Yes Dubois is very wooden and stiff when he fights. I was hoping he would loosen up more as he gained more experience but I think that is how he will fight for the rest of his career.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1-100 odds i just read so if you put a tenner on Dubois & Yarde you win 20 pence plus your stake money.
    Dubois you can kinda excuse as he's only 8-9 fights in but Warren & Yarde are purposely treading water and blatantly waiting for Kovalev to get old.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone watching this?

I spent from Tuesday night until this morning in bed with the flu, felt fucking dreadful, I've felt a little more alive today, still a fucking walking corpse but I won't let it interrupt my Friday night so I am fighting my way through my stella (just cracked my 5th can) and I've got a chicken naga on the way, got the boxing on in the background whilst listening to some Jimi Hendrix.
    Last edited by Batman; 03-09-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is on now?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cojanu giving it a good go in the first round. Looks tired already. Dubois landing solid punches.

1 nil Dubois

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Boxing is on now?
    Nah it starts tomorrow you buffoon

Thread Information