Thread: Manfredo vs. RJJ sounds to be only 3 months away... Seriously talking

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Manfredo vs. RJJ sounds to be only 3 months away... Seriously talking

Manfredo, Spina speak!

October 15, 2006

By Billy "Loops" Luppert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photos: Emily Harney

The fight between Joey Spina and Peter Manfredo, Jr. Saturday night at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, RI. was dubbed "Put Up or Shut Up," but easily could have been called "Backyard War", or "Bragging Rights", as these two super middleweight rivals, who grew up less than a mile from one another were scheduled to do battle for 12 rounds. Manfredo, who became a crowd favorite on "The Contender", destroyed Spina within 3 rounds and "The Pride of Providence" could also be known as "The King of Providence," a title that Spina gave himself in the days leading up to the bout.

Leading up to the bout, there was plenty of bad blood between the two fighters, and neither was shy about expressing their dislike for one another. Manfredo vowed to punish Spina for disrespecting him and his father. Spina promised to embarrass Manfredo in front of their hometown fans. At the post-fight press conference following the fight however, all the bad blood between the two had been left in the ring.

When the conference started, Manfredo was up on the podium with Contender Producer Jeff Wald, who said about the fight, "Peter Manfredo did exactly what he said he was going to. Peter fought an incredibly disciplined, smart, professional fight, and never got out of his gameplan."

Manfredo opened up by thanking his fans and those who came out to support him, including former rival Sergio Mora. Mora defeated Manfredo in the finals of "The Contender" and followed up that up with a controversial win over Manfredo in the rematch. "I know there was always a lot of bad blood between me and Sergio, but it's cool now, I'm in a different weight class. We're going to do our own thing in our own weight classes. He wants to be a champion, I want to be a champion, and I respect him." When asked to comment about the knockout of Spina he said, "Well, I really didn't want to end it that early, I wanted to punish him for all the things he had been saying. A lot of people in Providence said this kid is big and strong, and I better watch out for his left hook, but you better watch out for Peter Manfredo."

"The kid wasn't ready for me tonight. I don't want to knock the kid, he just wasn't on my level. He may have been led to believe he was on my level, a lot of hype and built himself up, but he's never fought anybody in my caliber. He was always brought up to feel that he's on top of his game, and you have to blame a lot of that on his trainers, and managers. I don't want to rag on the kid, he came in and did the best he could tonight," Manfredo went on to say. At that point, a dejected Spina walked into the press conference with his left hand bandaged up, which according to Spina, was broken. Manfredo turned to Spina and told him "stay strong, keep up the good work, it's hard to be a fighter."

"We had bad blood but I think a lot of it was to promote the fight. I helped him as an amateur, he always fought at a different weight and if he had a question I would help him out, and he would do the same for me."

Spina was asked about his hand, and said he broke it in the second round but wasn't sure how he did it, but said "that's no excuse though." Spina was then asked if he respected Manfredo now, after reportedly saying he didn't have any respect for him. "I never said I didn't respect him. I respect anyone that gets in the ring. It was a business thing, it wasn't any disrespect. In boxing, you don't make any money, and 19-0 with 14 KO's I never made any money and that's why I fought "The Contenders" (Spina knocked out another Season 1 participant in Jesse Brinkley in May)."

When someone commented to Spina that he "made money tonight," Spina responded by saying, "pride means a lot more."

While Spina didn't comment on his future, Manfredo is rumored to be fighting former pound for pound king, Roy Jones, Jr. on January 20th.

When Manfredo was asked about this, Wald spoke up and said, "Nothing is signed, sealed, and delivered" but said they are exploring a bunch of options and that Jones was definitely under consideration to fight at a catch weight. Stay tuned in the coming weeks, as an official announcement could be made regarding a Jones-Manfredo fight, which would be just over 3 months away.

http://www.fightnews.com/luppert56.htm
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manfredo vs. RJJ sounds to be only 3 months away... Seriously talking

It would be a massive comedown for Roy from being unquestionably the worlds best to fighting the runner up of a reality TV show, who not only lost in the very first round to a (welterweight Mexican road sweep who counts an epic trilogy with Jesse Felliciano as amongst his proudest moments), but whom also barely managed to scrape through against Espino, and Joey Gilbert too, beforelosing decisively to the Contender champion Sergio Mora.

Maybe if this fight doesn't come off we can look forward to Jones Jr vs Grady Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manfredo vs. RJJ sounds to be only 3 months away... Seriously talking

I agree... I will say that was a weak manfredo who struggled to make weight... but you are correct. This fight would do nothing for RJJ... His legacy will be mared for just taking the fight and god forbid if he ever lost... We're not talking Tarver or Johnson here!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by "PRIDE OF BOSTON"
    I agree... I will say that was a weak manfredo who struggled to make weight... but you are correct. This fight would do nothing for RJJ... His legacy will be mared for just taking the fight and god forbid if he ever lost... We're not talking Tarver or Johnson here!
    I actually like Manfredo and think he looks like he could be a threat at 168 but from Jones' position I wouldn't touch this fight.

Legacywise it's on a par with moving up to face Buttterbean in a 6 rounder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by "PRIDE OF BOSTON"
    I actually like Manfredo and think he looks like he could be a threat at 168 but from Jones' position I wouldn't touch this fight.

Legacywise it's on a par with moving up to face Buttterbean in a 6 rounder.
    Your absolutly right. I love Manfredo but Roy was "THE MAN"... This fight would do nothing for him win or lose... Makes no sence to me and I actually think manfredo has a chance... How sad is that... Roy has lost it. Prob go to Jones on points but like I said... Why? I don't want this fight to happen
    Hidden Content

SigmaMu Guest

Well if they make these fights happen, Barnum & Bailey has nothing on these guys
    I would find it very hilarious if Peter sparked up Roy Jones Jr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant see why RJJ would even consider this fight. Nothing against Manfredo (I like him and think he is so much better now than when he was on the show) but neither fighter really gains much from this. If RJJ wins he was suppose to and if he loses it shows how much he has fallen from where he was. Manfredo would get absolutely no repsect no matter the outcome of the fight, if he wins he beat a shot RJJ if he loses then he lost to a subpar RJJ.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    I cant see why RJJ would even consider this fight. Nothing against Manfredo (I like him and think he is so much better now than when he was on the show) but neither fighter really gains much from this. If RJJ wins he was suppose to and if he loses it shows how much he has fallen from where he was. Manfredo would get absolutely no repsect no matter the outcome of the fight, if he wins he beat a shot RJJ if he loses then he lost to a subpar RJJ.
    I agree, if Manfredo beat Jones if anything it might even increase on the hate that's already on him.

People will say he beat up on an old and faded legend in order to bolster his commerical appeal.

Personally I think for Manfredo a fight with Allan Green has to be the logical move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    I agree, if Manfredo beat Jones if anything it might even increase on the hate that's already on him.

People will say he beat up on an old and faded legend in order to bolster his commerical appeal.

Personally I think for Manfredo a fight with Allan Green has to be the logical move.
    Agreed. Manfredo is never going to get any respect until he faces some legit fighters like Froch, Santos, Beyer, Mundine, Veit, Bika, most of these are legit fighters and would be a better gauge for where he is at. They at least have some credibility in the boxing world.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really? A step down? There's a post here somewhere that read along the lines of Manfredo could fight Calzaghe next but if he fights Roy its a "step down" for Roy. Shows that people hold Roy in a much higher regard then they do Calzaghe imo.

Manfredo is a STEP DOWN from anyone..

Its not even a step

its a leap off the grand canyon!!!
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

El Kabong Guest

Bad move for Manfredo in terms of TITLE shots....yeah he'll get hella money BUT Roy Jones Jr. is 37 he's been beat 3 out of his last 4 fights and the shine is off of that Golden Boy.

If Manfredo wants to be taken seriously he needs to get Kessler in the ring with him!

#1 Kessler isn't fast like RJJ can be
    #2 Kessler isn't crafty he's big and strong but he's the type of guy who stands infront of you and doesn't run around much
    #3 He has 2 titles and Manfredo can really test Mikkel IMO no offense to Mikkel but Pete looked damn good vs Spina.

Peter has heart and he COULD give Kessler a tough fight

RJJ COULD humiliate Manfredo...so could Kessler but Roy hasn't fought at 168 since 1996

Thread Information