Thread: Joe Joyce: The politely frightening threat to the heavyweight division

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Joyce: The politely frightening threat to the heavyweight division

Despite what people say about his quiet demeanor, Joe Joyce can talk. A capable orator on a variety of subjects, Joyce communicates in a manner befitting a well-composed gentleman who believes actions speak louder than words. In a division, or sport for that matter, that reeks of boasts, threats, and patronizers, Joyce is prepared to go about his business on mute as the craziness grips everybody else around him. Following a detailed conversation charting his brief rise, Joe hands the phone to Sam Jones, his manager, who is prepared to map out his charge’s future.

“Let me tell you something about Joe,” begins Jones, as I anticipate something of a rehearsed soliloquy. “He’s far too nice and polite to call anyone out or disrespect anyone in the sport, but I believe he’s the most frightening heavyweight out there and that 2019 is going to be a massive year for him. He’s going to do a great job in Los Angeles on December 1st [against Joe Hanks ] and then we want Luis Ortiz in America. Too many are getting ahead because of what they say, but that’s not Joe at all, he’s going to prove how good he is in the ring and next year will be when everyone stands up and appreciates just how good a fighter Joe is.”

The vocal driving force behind Team Joyce is much more than just a mouthpiece. This isn’t Paul Heyman perpetually plugging Brock Lesnar before the WWE superstar donates a beating to someone; Jones is the mastermind behind the scenes and insists that his man will soon be operating on the level enjoyed by Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury, who occupy the main event spot this Saturday. The Olympic silver medallist’s ascent towards that prized echelon of the heavyweight division has been swift due to his extensive amateur experience, and the London monster is satisfied with his first year as a professional.

“It was good to finally get it all off the ground,” remembers Joyce in a west London accent that stands out in the Big Bear mountain camp where he currently trains – under Abel Sanchez – and resides.

“Between the [2016] Olympics and my first fight, there was a lot of stuff going on and a few big decisions to make so I didn’t just want to sign a contract with anyone unless I was certain I was getting the right deal. I spoke to all the people you’d expect me to speak to and finally signed with David Haye and Hayemaker/Ringstar and that, at the time, seemed like the right decision to make.”

Being courted by the former two-weight world champion and recent retiree for a sustained period impressed Joyce. Pursuing him was a man who had often stuck a middle finger up to tradition and familiarity when selecting a promoter, instead opting to build his own road and stick to the trail regardless of any obstacles that confronted him on the journey. With Eddie Hearn and Frank Warren also expressing an obvious interest, Joyce was faced with a dilemma, but eventually settled on the lure of his fellow heavyweight.

“It had to be the right move and that didn’t just mean money. If I was to go with Matchroom then I thought I might’ve been in the shadow of all the other Olympians that were turning professional along with the other heavyweights they’ve got. Warren made me a good deal that I took a lot of time over, but I just felt the move to Hayemaker was right. They were on a UK television platform with a lot of viewers, I was a big priority for them, and it gave me the chance to work with trainer Ismael Salas, who I’m a massive fan of. Getting the right deal came down to a lot of things and I just think that David and his team had the best ideas for me.

Joyce’s maiden year in the paid code started emphatically when he halted British title contender Ian Lewison in eight one-sided rounds. In May, on the undercard of Haye’s rematch with Liverpool’s Tony Bellew, Joyce collected the Commonwealth belt as he steamrolled over Jamaica’s Lenroy Thomas in just two sessions. With his ledger currently reading a perfect 6-0 with as many stoppages, Joyce isn’t eager to build his profile by dispatching local journeymen and feeble foreigners. The likes of the aforementioned Ortiz, and the ridiculously brash Jarrell Miller have made their way onto Joyce’s radar, and the Englishman is desperate to test himself against the division’s best names.

“People are aware of who’s ahead at of me at the moment and the only way I can get there is by beating them. When I was turning pro after the Olympics I knew deep down that I didn’t have long to get the big fights and prove how good I am. I’ve just turned 33 and the bulk of my fighting years have been in the amateurs at a high level so I really haven’t got the time to be getting in there and just knocking people over. I feel the heavyweight division is in a good place now and that good fights can be made and I’m confident I have the right team around me to get me to where I want to be.”

With Jones, plus Al Haymon’s PBC group now taking the majority stake in Joyce’s burst through the heavyweight rankings, alongside Ringstar following an amicable split with Haye, it appears that there’s passion and knowledge underpinning one of Britain’s leading prospects. Now performing his drills under the studious eyes of Sanchez, in California, Joyce’s immediate priority is performing alternately between his homeland and America as he chases similar lofty prizes to those he pursued admirably in the vested world. A routine medal collector at all the big tournaments, Joyce confirms that the disappointment of silver in Rio two years ago, when controversially defeated by France’s Tony Yoka, is firmly in the past.

“It’s out my system now because I’ve got other priorities and goals to aim for, but I won’t lie, the gold medal would’ve got me more money and maybe even an M.B.E. [a British honor], but I can’t be too down on things as life is good at the moment. I’m over here in California learning every day off one of the best trainers in the world and the change has done me so much good. I could’ve gone to any trainer, but the work I saw Abel do with [Gennady] Golovkin and [Murat] Gassiev, combined with the way I fight, made him stand out. Things have been perfect out here so far and I think you’ll see just how far I’ve come in such a short time when I fight on December 1st.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/joe...001454790.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Joe Joyce: The politely frightening threat to the heavyweight division

He looks like a good fighter....but the age my man...

6(6 KO)-0-0 is nice and the guys he has fought meh, but he's 33 bruh 33. I think Joe Hanks is a good opponent for him, Derrick Rossy would have been good too.

I think sometime next year Joe Joyce vs Kash Ali.....wouldn't that sell in the UK? On paper it looks like a solid fight. Maybe Joe Joyce vs Michael Hunter next year as well.

He's got to get a move on at his age, time to step up the competition.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Joyce: The politely frightening threat to the heavyweight division

Yep, only 6 pro fights at age 33

That's a really big handicap for him.

Yes, he has lots of high level amateur experience, so he is well schooled in the technical basics ...... but at that age, he is not going to get much better than he already is.

Essentailly, a 6 fight novice is already the finished article .... would today's Joyce win a world title, defend it and dominate the division going forward?

That is the question, because there isn't a better Joyce waiting to happen in the future ........
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He will achieve nothing in the pro ranks and is the most boring cunt ive ever seen interviewed.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm more impressed with several other up-and-coming heavyweights like Michael Hunter, Nathan Gorman, and Petr Milas than I am with Joyce.

But I may be wrong, we'll see.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd shorten it to J.J and nickname him 'Mid-Life Dynamite' and it may give him a needed career spark. Joe Joyce sounds like someone who sells self help books on Oprah.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not particularly impressed with this guy , and Usyk gave him a beating not long ago in that Pro Am Hybrid thing (Forgotten what it's called.)
    I'm very curious as to whether he is still managed by David Haye , and if not , what happened there. nobody has managed to explain that yet.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Not particularly impressed with this guy , and Usyk gave him a beating not long ago in that Pro Am Hybrid thing (Forgotten what it's called.)
    I'm very curious as to whether he is still managed by David Haye , and if not , what happened there. nobody has managed to explain that yet.
    So let me get this straight....he (Joe Joyce) himself is a boring interview according to @smashup and he has David Haye as his manager...there's only one direction this can and SHOULD head....

Get David Haye a Union Jack suit and a tennis racket (with cover) and I think we're all set

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see him as a great threat. I think by the time the championship scene thins out, he may be too old to have a good and memorable run.

But I would LOVE to see him bomb out Tony Yoka. lololol....
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What ha e you got against Tony yoka m8... He's not bad, stupid git is banned from fighting in France for the rest of the year though. Apparently he could fight outside of France but doesn't want to... :S....

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see Joyce take on a decent fringe contender like Chisora or Takam next.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    What ha e you got against Tony yoka m8... He's not bad, stupid git is banned from fighting in France for the rest of the year though. Apparently he could fight outside of France but doesn't want to... :S....
    What is he banned for? I just think that Yoka- and most French fighters- are soft and padded up more than any other European country. lololol...

I feel Joyce got the raw end in the Olympics against Yoka. Plus, Yoka looks to have no power.

I reserve the right to dislike a fighter if I wanna. No reason. I just don't like him!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    What is he banned for? I just think that Yoka- and most French fighters- are soft and padded up more than any other European country. lololol...

I feel Joyce got the raw end in the Olympics against Yoka. Plus, Yoka looks to have no power.

I reserve the right to dislike a fighter if I wanna. No reason. I just don't like him!
    He missed three drugs tests in a year so he's out for the rest of this year... As for him having no power, I'm not sure about that, o e of his fights went to the scorecards and Allen was stopped on fight(after taking big beating), he looked pretty powerful with the other four Kos. He could probacvly improve his power so fair enough.... Anyway he'll have a good pro career in my opinion and he'll beat geriatric Joyce if someone doesn't get to Joyce first...

I also dislike people for no reason, so keep it up

Hrgovic to KO both of them
    Last edited by palmerq; 12-03-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't want to pile in on the guy just for the sport of it, but no, Joyce does not have what it takes to get to the very top. He is 'thudding' at best.

That said, he could still be a top 10 heavy given the lack of depth.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Apparently Joyce is super smart and a super athlete. Good looking bastard too.

When I watch him fight, I think to myself Matt Skelton must have got lucky one time with a fit athletic looking bird.

For now he's fun to watch in a weird way. But wait for the timber.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information