Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default the WBC is a Cancer to Boxing

From Dan Rafael

The WBC and its president-for-life, Jose Sulaiman, are nothing more than a bunch of greedy bullies whose recent actions illustrate my longstanding assessment to a tee.

As for the bullying nature of the organization, the WBC seems to think it runs boxing and that it can call the shots -- that it can force any fighter in its rankings or a holder of one its titles to bow down and kiss the ring whenever Sulaiman snaps his greedy little fingers.

Recently, Sulaiman sent a letter via e-mail to unified junior welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander. Copied on the letter, which I got a copy of, were WBC executive Mauricio Sulaiman (Jose's son and chief excuse maker) Don King (Alexander's promoter), and Dana Jamison (King's top lieutenant).

Was it a letter congratulating Alexander on his outstanding knockout win against Juan Urango to unify titles March 6? No.
    Was it a letter complimenting Alexander for being a role model, a credit to boxing and one of the most humble, respectful young men you will ever meet? Nope.

Instead it was a letter threatening Alexander's status as WBC 140-pound titleholder. Alexander's transgression? He had the audacity to say that he would like to face WBO titleholder Timothy Bradley Jr., whom many regard as the best junior welterweight in the world not named Devon Alexander.
    In his letter, Sulaiman wrote, "I read today in the papers that you want to fight Timothy Bradley for the WBO championship. I appreciate the information and I kindly ask you to immediately present the resignation to the WBC championship, as it seems that our organization is not up to your stature as a boxer. The WBC green and gold belt has been the dream of many boxers in the world, but apparently it is not yours. I will be waiting for your resignation and may you have good luck in your fight."

Have you ever read something so arrogant and, frankly, delusional in your life? Let me see if I have this straight: Alexander, one of the finest fighters in the world, wants to fight another top fighter and Sulaiman takes offense? Let me tell you what I take offense to: that Sulaiman tarnishes boxing on almost a daily basis with his nonsense and by regularly forcing terrible mandatory fights and working against great matchups, like a Bradley-Alexander fight would be. Who the hell does he think he is?

Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's manager and underrated trainer, was about as stunned as I was when he read the garbage from Sulaiman.
    "Devon is calling out Bradley because Bradley and Devon are considered the two best junior welterweights in the world and because that's the fight fans want to see to determine who is the best junior welterweight in the world," said Cunningham, who was disgusted by the letter and said Alexander has no intention of giving up his title.

If the WBC wants the belt back, it will have to strip Alexander and then prepare for a lawsuit. I actually hope the WBC goes for it and strips Alexander, because he would win his lawsuit and hopefully put the miserable organization out of business once and for all.

The Sulaimans did not respond to a request through their publicist for a comment.
    "I've never heard of anything like this in my 45 years of living -- that a sanctioning body would want to strip its champion because he wants to fight of the best fighters out there," Cunningham said. "It's not like we are trying to avoid a mandatory. We have no problem making our mandatory when it is due. To get a letter like this is insane. How do you tell a guy to resign his title when he did nothing wrong? This sanctioning body is asking the kid to resign his title because he said he wants to fight the best guys out there? Are you [expletive] kidding me?"
    I wish Sulaiman was.

Now onto the topic of the WBC's blatant and unending greed. I laughed out loud when I read a missive from Sulaiman expressing "concern" for the way sanctioning bodies use interim titles "when they should be used strictly when a champion leaves a title inactive for medical or legal problems."
    The WBC, of course, is historically the worst offender in the business this side of the WBA when it comes to approving interim belts for no apparent reason. However, Sulaiman forgot to mention that he is responsible for the WBC's insane reliance on interim belts as a revenue stream.

In any event, Sulaiman said he would recommend to his puppet group of WBC governors at the annual convention in November that they institute the WBC "silver title," which would be a "substitution of an interim championship that does not represent a real title, when it is approved only for a fight without real significance."

In other words, every fight should have some dumb belt attached to it because he thinks it somehow helps the sport. Of course, the real reason is so Sulaiman can use the fees to line the WBC coffers and his own bank account because there are too many promoters, managers and fighters out there who want to keep Sulaiman happy, so they go along with what is, in essence, extortion.

I loved how Sulaiman tried to justify the invention of another bogus title by saying "ways must be found to keep the interest of boxing fans in the world, who are depending on reform that the WBC has been doing for three decades."

What an absolute joke. The WBC, with so many reprehensible rulings, worthless forced mandatory fights and numerous approved mismatches, is responsible for much of boxing's downfall over the past two decades. Adding a silver belt, like it tried to add the diamond belt for catch weight fights, is more of the same old money grab.

Here's an idea for Sulaiman, one which I will give him for free and not charge a sanction fee: How about he strip Alexander, offer him a silver belt replacement and then crawl under a rock.

WBC bullies trying to shaft junior welterweight champ Devon Alexander - ESPN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: the WBC is a Cancer to Boxing

What a joke, the WBC is definetly a cancer to the sport. Why would you not want to two best guys to fight each other? Just plain stupid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is terrible! Just makes you wonder if any of the other alphabet title organisations are doing the same?
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't blame Alexander for telling the WBC in a more tactfull way than this TO SHOVE THE BELT STRAIGHT UP THEIR ASS'!!!...

If I were Alexander's people, swiftly after resigning my WBC championship I would have them contact every news outlet in boxing and let them know why.

Champions fight champions... Not cannon fodder.

Screw the WBC and its cohorts.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, I'm genuinely furious, is this man sick, I hope sulaiman gets hit by a truck and has too live out the rest of his days in a vegitated state, with nothing but a shit sack too keep him company. What a fukking scumbag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are the WBC really that desperate for Ionut Dan Ion or Ajose Olusegun to get a title shot??

I personally think Olusegun has been deserving for about 3/4 years, but why push now, when they didn't give a shit about Witter mercilessly ducking him.

This is just a joke. Make him the super-champ if they're that desperate. What's better massive TV exposure if he fights a unification on HBO or a title fight hidden in Romania?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Amir Khan was reading that, he probably thought damn, he should have fought for the WBC title instead. You don't have to fight other alphabet champs, and maybe you dont have to even defend the title against dangerous guys like Maidana.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

..just a damn shame, sometimes i wish mma and all that stuff DID give boxing a better run for thier money, the only way i can see all this sillyness stop. But even that almost wouldn't be worth all the mma is better than boxing non sense we'd hear then
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sulaiman
    King
    Arum
    Valcalcel
    Cole
    MArgarito

OFF THE ISLAND!
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All hail the RING belt then...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what a shame

Maybe Sulaiman wants to sell his new Diamond belt to Alexander...LMAO
    Last edited by UKPH; 04-08-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by UKPH View Post
    what a shame

Maybe Sulaiman wants to sell his new Diamond belt to Alexander...LMAO
    Did you hear Arum told sulliman to fuck off when he was trying to sell them a diamond belt for the pacman clotty fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another prime example why the average fan are turned off to boxing. Stupid little sensless stunts like this. Jose Suliaman should be shot. This is bar-none one of the most ridiculous thing's I have ever heard of. I mean there has to be something else to this right? Did we misread something?

If this is true I vote for this to Suliaman.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Suliman sounds like a whiny little bitch breaking up with her boyfriend in that letter.

What a sniveling little cunt of a man.

"Well apparently my tits aren't big enough for you and my pussy isn't tight enough for you so you can just go fuck some other girl ! And I want my promise ring back. "

Jesus Christ...
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Suliman sounds like a whiny little bitch breaking up with her boyfriend in that letter.

What a sniveling little cunt of a man.

"Well apparently my tits aren't big enough for you and my pussy isn't tight enough for you so you can just go fuck some other girl ! And I want my promise ring back. "

Jesus Christ...
    LOL!

Thread Information