Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cat Wars: The Devastating Consequences of a Cuddly Killer

I think it depends on where you live, Beanz. I hit a cat while driving my car one day. It literally freaked and jumped into it and bounced right off. That haunted me and I pray it was okay. Due to the nature of the road I could not stop but did a circle and nothing was there. It could have been badly hurt. I have seen dozens of roadkill sightings, cats and dogs mostly, but also baby deer. I am not religious but I say a few words expressing my remorse that they have had to die like that.

An oudoor cat is more likely to die young as compared to a fully domesticated cat and it is true that they like to kill. It is their nature and I don't blame them for that though. Certainly out here with apartments it is not practical to let a cat out. Instead I make play time and just try to keep her active with new toys. You have to take them away though as at 2am you get the mewling outside your door with some green worm like green fluff sitting there and her big round eyes looking up at you.

No, I wouldn't want her prowling around here. The area is full of cars and I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to her. I get paranoid even leaving windows open despite them having metal mosquito/bug netting. I read a story about John Lennons cat leaping from the New York apartment window to its death. Heartbreaking.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's a horrible thing to have to hear, Walrus. 18 is a good innings, but still. Sorry to hear that.

I honestly feel closer to my cat than most people. My wife thinks we are too close. The cat likes my soft lullaby English voice, but will 'kakakaka' at her when she does her noisy Korean voice thing. Koreans sound like they are angry. In England we say pleasantries and it is nice, Koreans do the same but sound like they are going to deck one another. My cat is English.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea sorry to hear about your cat Walrus, can be hard but sometimes if they start to suffer it's better off.

We have 2 kittens (boy and girl), both are off to the vet this week to get fixed. Pets can be so much fun, they can also drive you crazy.

They can be great for kids as well.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I think it depends on where you live, Beanz. I hit a cat while driving my car one day. It literally freaked and jumped into it and bounced right off. That haunted me and I pray it was okay. Due to the nature of the road I could not stop but did a circle and nothing was there. It could have been badly hurt. I have seen dozens of roadkill sightings, cats and dogs mostly, but also baby deer. I am not religious but I say a few words expressing my remorse that they have had to die like that.

An oudoor cat is more likely to die young as compared to a fully domesticated cat and it is true that they like to kill. It is their nature and I don't blame them for that though. Certainly out here with apartments it is not practical to let a cat out. Instead I make play time and just try to keep her active with new toys. You have to take them away though as at 2am you get the mewling outside your door with some green worm like green fluff sitting there and her big round eyes looking up at you.

No, I wouldn't want her prowling around here. The area is full of cars and I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to her. I get paranoid even leaving windows open despite them having metal mosquito/bug netting. I read a story about John Lennons cat leaping from the New York apartment window to its death. Heartbreaking.
    Yes I can see in an apartment block is different to here out in the suburbs on the edge of the city, loads of woods etc for them to roam and explore. Still seems a bit like caged birds. Caged birds that people put in front of windows is just taking the piss. "Oooh look you can't go there into the great wide open"

I wouldn't let a cat out in South Korea either lest she become bulgogi
    Last edited by Master; 08-28-2018 at 03:21 AM.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried to do the harness thing, but she was having none of it. Seems to have taken after me a little too much. Runs for cover whenever a delivery comes to the door and I do much the same.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Wait I forgot to mention. Somebody's going to accuse me of being a bully now. But I am just stating the truth. Millions and millions of single white women sleep with their cats under the covers and live lonely lives with no companions except for their cats. Millions of millions of men are doing the same thing as well.

****FUCKING MENTALLY ILL BONKERS***
    You aren’t a bully u are just a punk ass little bitch repeating the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over,White, smoking, strawberry etc it’s just like a little doggy nipping at your heels. Stupid redicoulos shit without end and what is the intent? It’s inconsequential just annoying.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Anything that can fly and still gets killled doesn’t have my sympathy. Do birds even do anything anyways? Only hummingbirds pollinate as far as I know. I’m off to buy feral cats and start breeding them.

I hear there's one for sale now.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That cat was a hard mofo, If mosquitos and rattlesnakes had those kind of cajones I could see wanting more birds around.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who doesn't love waking up to a furry arse in your face listening to her whine about eating and drinking again? I mean that's why I look forward to running downstairs and seeing my cat sitting there quietly offering me understanding. He knows my struggle.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What struggle? @walrus only gets to have fevered dreams about waking up to furry asses every single day! you’re living it, and here to complain?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What struggle? @walrus only gets to have fevered dreams about waking up to furry asses every single day! you’re living it, and here to complain?
    Mmmmmmmm furry asses. Hey @p4pking how is the farm and your new #thai friend hope u are happy up north

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's like sleeping with a wookie bud. Minus the growling and enthusiasm .

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Mmmmmmmm furry asses. Hey @p4pking how is the farm and your new #thai friend hope u are happy up north
    Things are fine, Denny misses you up here, I’m sorry I don’t let him post any more. The thing is we’ve started growing cotton and built a workshop in hopes of opening a locally sourced clothing store, you wouldn’t believe how busy he is. I don’t have a farm lol, it’s a small wholesale nursery, everything is Grown in greenhouses. Was growing a lot more edibles at home than I did this year if that’s where you got the idea. I’m also actually south of the us border across bc and Washington state, for example. Much more temperate here than where you are, son. My crops would all be lost in your neck of the woods.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Things are fine, Denny misses you up here, I’m sorry I don’t let him post any more. The thing is we’ve started growing cotton and built a workshop in hopes of opening a locally sourced clothing store, you wouldn’t believe how busy he is. I don’t have a farm lol, it’s a small wholesale nursery, everything is Grown in greenhouses. Was growing a lot more edibles at home than I did this year if that’s where you got the idea. I’m also actually south of the us border across bc and Washington state, for example. Much more temperate here than where you are, son. My crops would all be lost in your neck of the woods.
    Well glad things are well my friend you r one of the few sane voices here and I don’t think you hate white people

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why a village in New Zealand is trying to ban all cats

A small village on the southern coast of New Zealand is planning to implement a radical plan to protect its native wildlife: ban all domestic cats.

Under the initiative, proposed by Environment Southland, cat owners in Omaui will have to neuter, microchip and register their moggies with local authorities.

After their pet dies, cat lovers in the community will then not be allowed to get any more.

It sounds extreme, but it may be something more communities should be considering: after all, cats are responsible for the death of billions of birds and mammals each year - and, according to some, it is all our fault.

Dr Peter Marra, the head of the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Centre, has authored journals and books on the issue.

Contrary to preconceptions about him, he insists he is not anti-cat or against cat ownership.

"Cats make wonderful pets - they're spectacular pets! But they shouldn't be allowed to roam outside - it's a really obvious solution," he told the BBC.

"We would never let dogs do that. It's about time we treat cats like dogs."

In Omaui, officials say the measure is justified because cameras have shown roaming cats preying on birds, insects and reptiles in the area.

So your cat can live out its natural life at Omaui happily doing what it's doing. But then when it dies, you wouldn't be able to replace it," bio-security operations manager Ali Meade explained.

Under the plan, anyone not complying would receive a notice, before officials would remove the pets - but only as an "absolute last resort".

The initiative is part of the regional council's proposed regional pest management plan, which was opened for consultation on Tuesday.

John Collins, chairman of the Omaui Landcare Charitable Trust, championed the ban to protect "high-value" nature reserves there.

'We're not cat haters, but we want our environment to be wildlife-rich," he said, the Otago Daily Times reports.

How big a problem are cats?

The debate about cat populations and local eco-systems is not unique to Omaui.

Conservation scientists have long warned about the impact of feral and outdoor cats on the global eco system - and they've been ranked among the 100 worst non-native invasive species in the world.

Dr Marra believes cat-owners need to take more responsibility for their animals

Dr Marra says 63 species extinctions around the world are now linked to the booming cat populations. The problem is exacerbated in areas with very sensitive eco-systems, like New Zealand.

"It sounds extreme," he says. "But the situation has got out of control."

He believes cat-lovers around the world need to embrace a "different mind-set" toward the animals. He believes they should be adopted where possible, then neutered and exercised at home using toys, or in a controlled environment - for example, on a leash.

"This predicament is not the fault of cats - it's humans' fault," he insists.

Because of their popularity on social media and in memes, the global pet population shows no sign of abating.

"They are just cute - everything about them, which makes this whole thing more difficult."

Accurate estimates are hard to ascertain, but in the US there are about 86 million pet cats - roughly one in every three households.

Unquantifiable amounts live stray or feral, meaning huge casualties in the environment.

It is estimated that as many as four billion birds and 22 billion mammals are killed by cats in the US every year.

Even in the UK, populations are on the decline, and experts blame cats. The Mammal Society says that about 55 million birds are falling casualty each year.

It's not the first time cats have been painted as a menace in New Zealand - a country boasting a feline in almost half its households.

They're a hot issue in Australia too, where feral and outdoor cats are blamed for millions of native species' deaths every night.

The nation has been funding grassroots culling initiatives since 2015, boasts the world's largest cat-proof fence and has even considered introducing a national curfew for domestic cats.

Councils and state governments have been taking the cat problem into their own hands - forcing cats to stay indoors at night, implementing household quotas and mandatory identification and neutering.

Nevertheless, initiatives against felines remain controversial. Last year animal rights groups laid particular scorn at one Queensland local council who were offering $10 bounties for feral cat scalps.

In Omaui, residents told local media they were "shocked" and "hoodwinked" by the proposed ban and have vowed to resist it.

Nico Jarvis, a local resident who says her three cats help combat rodents in her house, compared the proposal to a "police state".

''It's not even regulating people's ability to have a cat. It's saying you can't have a cat,'' she told the Otago Daily Times.

Paw Justice, a New Zealand-based non-profit that focuses on animal abuse, posted about the plan on Facebook, questioning the evidence behind it.

Cat-lovers on the group's Facebook page reacted angrily to the news and pointing out that poisons, cars and humans also damage native species.

Local residents have until the end of October to register their submissions to Environment Southland's plan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45347136
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information