Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Whitaker should have Lost Against Chavez....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Whitaker should have Lost Against Chavez....

Based on circumstances that is. Before anyone jumps on me, I scored it 9 rounds out of 12 for Sweet pea. I'm just saying based on circumstances he was suppose to lose.

I just finished watching the fight again and reading about many things about that fight. And I was amazed that he came out with a draw when everything was set up for him to lose.

Many points on here to consider for that fight.

1. Sweet Pea was weight drain for the fight and fighting at a catch weight to defend his WBC welterweight title. I never knew this fight was at a catch weight and that Sweet Pea was never allowed to go past 145 to defend his welterweight title. Hence he wasn't at his best.

2. He was a 2-1 underdog and many people were thinking that Chavez would beat up on him like he did to Meldrick Taylor. And remember Chavez was considered to be invincible at this time coming into the fight undefeated at 87-0 with 75 KOs.

3. The ref was Joe Cortez. Sweet Pea in the fight was warned 2x for low blows (for retaliation) when Chavez was allowed to punch him in the crotch and on the thighs to diminish his mobility.

4. The fight was in San Antonio, Texas. He was in Chavez turf with an hostile crowd that wanted him to get beat up bad. Everyone in the crowd was screaming for Chavez to kill him in the fight.

5. Jose Sulaiman was there. The president of the WBC and a good friend of Don King and Chavez.

6. 1 of the 3 judges had Whittaker losing going into the 10th round, the other 2 had it dead even.

So with all of this going against Whittaker, it's amazing that he managed a draw. Just think if Cortez had penalized Whittaker for retaliating for the low blow, Whittaker loses by a majority decision, maybe by an Unanimous decision. It's still amazing he comes out with a draw, considering he was suppose to lose with everything going against him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Whitaker should have Lost Against Chavez....

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Based on circumstances that is. Before anyone jumps on me, I scored it 9 rounds out of 12 for Sweet pea. I'm just saying based on circumstances he was suppose to lose.

I just finished watching the fight again and reading about many things about that fight. And I was amazed that he came out with a draw when everything was set up for him to lose.

1. Sweet Pea was weight drain for the fight and fighting at a catch weight to defend his WBC welterweight title. I never knew this fight was at a catch weight and that Sweet Pea was never allowed to go past 145 to defend his welterweight title. Hence he wasn't at his best.

2. He was a 2-1 underdog and many people were thinking that Chavez would beat up on him like he did to Meldrick Taylor. And remember Chavez was considered to be invincible at this time coming into the fight undefeated at 87-0 with 75 KOs.

3. The ref was Joe Cortez. Sweet Pea in the fight was warned 2x for low blows (for retaliation) when Chavez was allowed to punch him in the crotch and on the thighs to diminish his mobility.

4. The fight was in San Antonio, Texas. He was in Chavez turf with an hostile crowd that wanted him to get beat up bad. Everyone in the crowd was screaming for Chavez to kill him in the fight.

5. Jose Sulaiman was there. The president of the WBC and a good friend of Don King and Chavez.

6. 1 of the 3 judges had Whittaker losing going into the 10th round, the other 2 had it dead even.

So with all of this going against Whittaker, it's amazing that he managed a draw. Just think if Cortez had penalized Whittaker for retaliating for the low blow, Whittaker loses by a majority decision, maybe by an Unanimous decision. It's still amazing he comes out with a draw, considering he was suppose to lose with everything going against him.
    im sorry but if u think whitaker should of lost against chavez u are as blind as u are stupid. chavez was lucky to get a draw. if u think chavez won that fight u obviously dont no ur boxing. oh my fukking god get a grip man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

may i just rertact my last post. i thought that was ur own personal opinion, but after reading ur post i no that u meant every thing was set up for sweet pea to lose. my apolagise

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by paddy448 View Post

may i just rertact my last post. i thought that was ur own personal opinion, but after reading ur post i no that u meant every thing was set up for sweet pea to lose. my apolagise
    Haha been on the piss tonight Paddy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy448 View Post

Haha been on the piss tonight Paddy?
    ha ha ha . ive just got in my man. had a few shandys.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weight drained is a bit of a stretch, I don't remember hearing anything about him being drained, he was never a big welter and he certainly didn't fight like making 145 was a problem.

ICB Guest

Pernell Whitaker wasn't at his best ? he fought great against JCC, and he certainly wasn't weight-drained. And i've never heard that excuse before either. JCC was at more of disadvantage regarding weight, because he never had any great results at Welterweight.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Pernell Whitaker wasn't at his best ? he fought great against JCC, and he certainly wasn't weight-drained. And i've never heard that excuse before either. JCC was at more of disadvantage regarding weight, because he never had any great results at Welterweight.
    Pernell wasn't a big welterweight that's for sure, but for nearly all of his fights at that division he came in at 147 or 146 1/2. Making a fighter come in at a catch weight diminishes their ability to perform at optimum levels, hence the so called evening out the playing field. If JCC can't compete as an welterweight then he should have stayed at 140 and not fight Whitaker at a catch weight for his title.

Fighting at a catch weight diminishes a guy's ability to perform at his fullest. It doesn't matter whether or not he looked great in the fight, the point being was that he was not allowed to come in at the weight he normally comes in and at his best.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Early preparations for post Cotto-Pacquaio posting?

There are circumstances and context. Pernell was not a big welter and had just moved up. Paul Williams would be hurt badly by dropping from 147 to 145. Zab Judah wouldn't. Pernell obviously wasn't.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Pernell wasn't a big welterweight that's for sure, but for nearly all of his fights at that division he came in at 147 or 146 1/2. Making a fighter come in at a catch weight diminishes their ability to perform at optimum levels, hence the so called evening out the playing field. If JCC can't compete as an welterweight then he should have stayed at 140 and not fight Whitaker at a catch weight for his title.

Fighting at a catch weight diminishes a guy's ability to perform at his fullest. It doesn't matter whether or not he looked great in the fight, the point being was that he was not allowed to come in at the weight he normally comes in and at his best.
    catchweights depend when and who, the catchweight didn't effect Hopkins against Pavlik

Thread Information