Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who's had the best comeback???

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Jess/E_Trail042506.htm

You know I like to play in the sandlots of the past. You know I like to put on tattered boxing trunks on the weekend and walk through the streets of Marion, Ohio, yelling for Sonny Liston. Yes, sometimes it bothers the neighbors. Sometimes the cops come, but they usually hug me, pat me on the soft part of my skullcap and make me go home and lie down.

Call me nostalgic. Call me a boxing romantic. Call me fourteen different names with assorted references to feces. But call me quick when the guacamole hits the nachos, brethren!

Let’s play in the sandlot once more. Hand me my favorite red plastic shovel. You can have the blue one.

In every business, there is a place, a dark abyss which seems to engulf an individual in finality, failure or simply a conclusive mediocrity which has been determined externally and stamped upon them by those who evaluate. Often, the evaluators are correct, and the downward spiral and ultimate exit comes swiftly. But there are those who are guided strictly by an internal compass and who are not swayed by external judgment.

There is no more poignant arena for the comeback than the sport of boxing. It is an individual endeavor of the most brutal order.

With the return of Scar Tissue from hiatus, it is only fitting and proper that we analyze great feats of defiance. It is good that we look at wonderful snapshots of those who flipped the bird at Father Time and got away with it.

I have applied my immense and kaleidoscopic mind to a nearly paranormal state. I have searched the wonderful, leather-scented halls of boxing history. I have focused so intensely I even changed bodily form. It finally came to me while teetering in the midst of a metamorphosis from a giant centipede to an immense and murderous bullfrog. The proceeding croak that rumbled from my wide reptilian mouth shook the office and brought framed pictures crashing to the floor. I had finally attained the internal information that I was seeking -- the greatest comeback fighter of them all.

The greatest of them all isn't judged by a comeback within a fight, or from a bad year, but by an innate ability to spit in the face of doubt time and time again.

Cut-outs of two faces cavorted before me as I struggled against the transformation from large mouth bass to carp.

George Foreman’s exploits must come to mind on this subject. But it couldn't be him. He basically performed one gigantic miracle in the face of one period of doubt and abandonment. It was an incredible feat, never to be forgotten, but it just fell outside of my defined parameters.

Evander Holyfield exemplifies the spirit and will and self-determination about which this column bellows. But again, he fell just outside of perfection in picking a winner. Actually, his internal compass is presently lying to him and telling him outrageous tales that could only happen in a parallel universe, but that is another story.

We are looking for a man who was thought to be finished and who leaped the dark chasm of uncertainty most impressively -- and the most number of instances. That man is none other than Roberto Duran.

The conquering of doubt began small. After a non-title whipping by Esteban Dejesus in 1972, Duran came back to destroy him in '74 and again in '78.

There were larger doubts when Duran began to venture into the world of the Welterweights in 1978. He promptly whipped Monroe Brooks, Carlos Palomino and then beat Sugar Ray Leonard for the title in Montreal in 1980.

Then there was No Mas. As Leonard danced, moved and tormented him, Duran, in a spur of the moment mental mistake, quit in round eight in the New Orleans rematch. Ray Arcel and Freddie Brown left his camp and the world pointed a giant, dirty finger at Roberto Duran.

The knockout of Pipino Cuevas in January of '83 was no great shock. It was the Battle of Significance lost. It was a match that would have been intensely anticipated just three years before.

On his thirty-second birthday in 1983, Roberto Duran savagely snatched the 154 lb throne from Davey Moore in eight brutal rounds. He was a three time champion and had defied time. This was the most significant moment to that point.

Then came Thomas Hearns and the slippery Las Vegas canvas in June 1984. Never before had Duran been caught so cleanly as in the second round of this bout. Standing straight up on a canvas he was slipping on, he was caught with the same basic punch that had put Cuevas to sleep. The man who could not be knocked out was unconscious as he fell. As I detail in a previous edition of Scar Tissue, this was the day that the sun exploded, the stars fell and the spirits of fallacy danced lewdly in desert shadow.

That had to be it, right? This was one day short of his 33rd birthday and he was lying face down on the canvas, bleeding. He had been knocked out, an unthinkable place for The Hands of Stone to be. There had to be retirement at this point, right?

This was further cemented by a decision loss to Robbie Sims just a week after his 35th birthday. He was getting very old as ring years go.

Three years LATER, at age 38, he fought the fight of his life against the rough and tough Iran Barkley. In Ring Magazine's Fight of the Year for 1989, he scored a knockdown in round eleven and eked out the most unlikely of victories. He was Middleweight Champion of the World. Unbelievable.

After a rubber match decision loss against Sugar Ray Leonard in 1989, Duran was stopped in six rounds by one Pat Lawlor in his very next fight. The official reason was a shoulder injury. But...there it is. The prime Duran was gone.

After two decision losses to Vinnie Panzienza in '94 and '95 he was just another worn out fighter who wouldn't leave. But there was one more thing.

In June 1996, about a week after his 45th birthday, he fought, once again the fight of his life against Hector "Macho" Camacho. In a fight in which he should have been handily outboxed and frustrated, he landed his right lead over and over again. In a decision that could have gone either way, he lost a close decision. But he was the man of the moment.

He fought on, too long of course. You can't totally blame him. After all, one could believe they were truly powerful beyond the laws of physics after performing as he did at age 45.

There would be more failures and a few lower grade successes. He avenged his defeat to Pat Lawlor on his 49th birthday in June 2000. It was for a minor (NBA) title and of little significance on paper. But it put the period at the end of a very significant sentence that reads.... Roberto Duran was, without doubt, The Greatest Comeback Fighter of All Time.

As with any edition of Scar Tissue, there is a price to pay. As everything came together and I finished my perfect vision, and this column, I seem to have morphed into a beige Power Ranger. It’s hard enough to be taken seriously, and to get intense amorous looks from women. Oh well. Ten years ago, I’d be in there. See? Nostalgia works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who's had the best comeback???

Gatti.

That fwocker's been resurrected more times than Dracula...& that's a hell of a lot!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even Duran, Foreman and Ray Robinson struggle to beat Craig Bodzianowski, who came back from losing part of his leg, to challenge for a World Title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Even Duran, Foreman and Ray Robinson struggle to beat Craig Bodzianowski, who came back from losing part of his leg, to challenge for a World Title.
    Leg smeg!

Whya gotta be bringin up old shat?

Maybe I shoulda said: Whya gotta be pullin old shat outta the hat?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Leg smeg!

Whya gotta be bringin up old shat?

Maybe I shoulda said: Whya gotta be pullin old shat outta the hat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well if tito didnt retire everytime he lost id say him, he got beat by better fightrs, tito can still distroy anbout 90% of the fighters out there.

as of now ill probbaly say gatti.
    forman had a good one but some fights might have been rigged.
    if tyson was normal id say him. but he has had about 5 comebacks as of now
    Hidden Content
    Ani hu sheshokhen betokh Cain
    Ego sum quis habitavit in Nerone
    Mia fora katoikese mesa se Ioudas
    Ich war mit Legion
    Ana Belial
    And I am Lucifer, The devil in the flesh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Technicly Ali by far its easy to forget he was gone for 3 years

also george foreman ofcourse is the most amazing though to see an old man apply his trade 20 long years after losing the belt the 1st time

in a sense James toney never really left he fought about once a year for awhile but his comeback to the championship level is quite impressive ..not many men 5'9 can be an elite heavyweight

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Ray Robinson wins hands down for number of comebacks. I actually reckon he lost the title deliberately just so he could win it back again.

Would have been more impressive if he actually held onto it for more than one defense though :P

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ray Robinson only started to lose once he got older, and if you had seen the fights which he lost and avenged with his faded skills, you would know that this wasn't the case.. Also in those days it wasn't all about title defences or anything, the fact is that RAy Robinson fought all the best fighters around at welter and middleweight, many of them were not title fights or for any belt... Even with Duran or Chavez 20-30 yrs ago it was much much more common for a champion to fight elite competition without actually putting the title on the line. I would say Sugar Ray would possibly take it as well, I mean the guy accomplished absolutely everything, was unstoppable at welter and middleweight, then retired after he should have beat Joey Maxim for the light heavyweight title but quite due to heatstroke... The fact that he came back to win the middleweight title so many times after that is really impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

corrales' comeback vs castillo was pretty good, considerin it was so late in the fight aswel when the fatigue had set in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali hands down...After the exile he came back after losing prime years and became even better winning thetitle two more times and having some of the greatest fights in history
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kostya came back from from 2yrs layoff from injuries to surprise everyone and ko mitchell in 3 rounds. That aint bad
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ike Quartey ain't doing to bad so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakey
    Kostya came back from from 2yrs layoff from injuries to surprise everyone and ko mitchell in 3 rounds. That aint bad
    But it didn't last too long...so I wouldn't rate that as a success story.

I truly think that of late it has to be Gatti...& I aint even a Gatti fan...but he took some good ole down home southern like whoopins & came back...I applaude the man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big George had a very good comeback, Vinny Paz coming back after a broken neck to win a title was pretty damn immpresive too
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Thread Information