Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: How do you rate him as a trainer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teddy Atlas

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Teddy Atlas

I saw on espn.com that Teddy had been asked to help train: Lennox Lewis, Sam Peter, and was basically given the keys to the Duva's heavyweight prospects but declined to all of them.

Atlas says none of them displayed the comittment to him and the training (ie training away from home, putting themselves in Atlas' hands to do whatever he wants with them). I find that hard to believe with Lennox but the others probably...he has a cushy job and there is no need to leave it for another MICHAEL GRANT or MICHAEL MOORER both of whom he trained.

With Michael Grant, Teddy got a physically tough fighter with no confidence and no chin.

With Michael Moorer, Teddy got a physically talented fighter who was an ass and as soon as he got to the top he didn't want to listen or work hard.

How do you rate him?

I think he's a decent trainer but his boasting and harsh attitude don't help his relationships with his fighters

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Teddy Atlas

I reckon he's good but you can only take a guy so far the rest he has to do himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Knows his stuff but he doesn't have good relationships with his boxers. He was screaming at Michael Grant when Grant was on the downside in his fights. A good trainer knows his stuff and is able to motivate and point out strategies during the fights. It's clear that Michael Grant was a softee that could not be yelled at!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a combination thing. A boxer is only as good as his trainer, and the trainer is only as good as the boxer. Like Missy said a trainer can only take a boxer so far then it is up to the boxer. A boxer can take a trainer places. You can be the greatest trainer in the world, but if you never have opportunity to train a real good talent then nobody will ever know of you. Of course it goes both ways good and bad.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i clicked great cos he really is an excellent tactical man.

however i do concede the point with regards to motivation.

I put him only behind ES as a trainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that he's a few steps above a Freddie Roach in that he would probably draw a line with the fighters. I could see him getting angry at them for Laziness, BUT I don't really see him selling the vision to a fighter.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who has Atlas ever trained? Everybody that he had success with already knew how to box before he got to that pompous self-impressed ass. Did he really make any of them better fighters? The guys he started in the game got nowhere.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thing that always cracks me up about Atlas is that he'll try and take full credit for anything he has ever been remotely involved in.. Like he and Joe will be talking about something on FNF, Joe will bring up some old fighter from years ago or whatnot, and Teddy cuts in, "actually Joe, I TOLD HIM that he would need to...." etc etc.. It's always something you know, he claims that his insight or influence was the sole reason for some later event occuring, it's pretty funny actually.

El Kabong Guest

ONLY behind ES Ever hear of Eddie Futch? Cus D'mato?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he is an ok trainer, has the knowledge for champions but way too much useless bull sh*t comes out his mouth with his fighters. He almost seems like hes harassing them at times. NO, I think his role as a Big mouth announcer suits him well.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ithink Greys is spot on with what he says
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that he's a good trainer...but he's a spotlight hog IWO & he often forgets the fighter & get's into himself & his theatrics a bit much for me.

Personally...I can't stand the man...he comes off as a bit arrogant.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I think that he's a good trainer...but he's a spotlight hog IWO & he often forgets the fighter & get's into himself & his theatrics a bit much for me.

Personally...I can't stand the man...he comes off as a bit arrogant.
    Agreed. His voice kills me........sounds like a tard. I have disliked him since I started watching Friday night fights in 2000.

But his technical advice is sound and I do believe that he would be the type of trainer that would bring discipline.

Earlier I compared him to Roach only becasue I was astounded that Roach would let Toney come in like that.

I don't care how much ego a fighter has, if I am training you, then it's in your best interest to do whatever I say. I don't care who's paying who.
    I realize that a fighter has to bring motivation to the table but when you agree to train somebody, their name is all over you and your name is all over them. A total reflection of the kind of camp you run.

I Like what Roach did with pacman though.....saw a good clip of a training session.

Still, I don't think that Atlas would be the type to let a fighter get that out of control.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hed have got the sack with Toney before he did
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Atlas is a self absorbed piece of crap that should stay right where he is as an announcer.

Thread Information