Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Olden day vs Modern day

The more I watch footage of old fights, the more I realize how much tougher those fighters were. Something to bear in mind when comparing fighters from different era's. Those fights were brutal, and the gap between fights was non-existant. When a fight was close, or just good, there would be a re-match within months!!! Just look at some of the gaps between SRR fights, especially when he lost. I had to double check the dates to make sure that I wasn't mis-reading.
    Also the old 15-rounders. I'm with Hagler, those 3 rounds were the championship rounds. We wouldn't get so many controversial decisions or close fights with 15 rounders. Like most sports i.e. football, modern days players look and act like pussies. diving when they don't even get touched, while players like Pele, Best and Maradona were almost cut in half by defenders!!

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Olden day vs Modern day

...I was about to say, football You mean football(soccer).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah we mean football.....if we meant your kind he would of said AMERICAN football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sanj16
    The more I watch footage of old fights, the more I realize how much tougher those fighters were. Something to bear in mind when comparing fighters from different era's. Those fights were brutal, and the gap between fights was non-existant. When a fight was close, or just good, there would be a re-match within months!!! Just look at some of the gaps between SRR fights, especially when he lost. I had to double check the dates to make sure that I wasn't mis-reading.
    Also the old 15-rounders. I'm with Hagler, those 3 rounds were the championship rounds. We wouldn't get so many controversial decisions or close fights with 15 rounders. Like most sports i.e. football, modern days players look and act like pussies. diving when they don't even get touched, while players like Pele, Best and Maradona were almost cut in half by defenders!!
    Don't fool yourself... fighters back didn't throw as many punches... there were many areas with gaps in every fight back then. Also the guys were slower, and had less technique... People say that SRR was lighting quick, but when I saw his first fight with Lamotta he looked ordinary in terms of speed compared to the guys now. As for soccer Maradona wasn't that long ago, and even he used to pretend he was hurt more than he actually was... He would complain as well. Pele is too long ago for me, but I'm sure he was the same way... its part of soccer/football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just like most modern day sportsmen, they have moved forward in terms of speed, stamina, training and tecnique but the blood and guts hunger has gone for the most part.

SRR and the like HAD to fight 5-8 times a year just so they could eat! Thats why those fights are so brutal, they were fighting for more than just a fat pay cheque at the end of the night.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    . Pele is too long ago for me, but I'm sure he was the same way
    Sorry, Taeth, you were doing really well until then. Pele was a true modern footballer in terms of speed, power, endurance, technique, professionalism etc. He did 100m in about 12 seconds (then!) He was at his peak in the late 60s, early 70s but could walk onto a pitch today and compete in all the areas mentioned above.

Your other points are good ones, so a more interesting thread could be "what old time sportsmen could genuinely compete today, given the improvements in nutrition and training technology?"

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali would walk through the heavyweight division today like there was no one home.
    Billy conn would rule the light heavyweights and Carlos Monzon would own the middleweights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    . Pele is too long ago for me, but I'm sure he was the same way
    Sorry, Taeth, you were doing really well until then. Pele was a true modern footballer in terms of speed, power, endurance, technique, professionalism etc. He did 100m in about 12 seconds (then!) He was at his peak in the late 60s, early 70s but could walk onto a pitch today and compete in all the areas mentioned above.

Your other points are good ones, so a more interesting thread could be "what old time sportsmen could genuinely compete today, given the improvements in nutrition and training technology?"

I'm not saying Pele wouldn't do well nowadays, but 12 seconds isn't that fast... there are kids in junior high running the 100 that fast... He was great player, had good ball skills, and all he was definitely before his time, but even MY favorite pro athlete of all time Jerry Rice... who just recently retired IMO wouldn't have had all that great of a career had he started it now... He was decently fast probably alot faster and stronger than Pele... he had the best stamina in sports alot of people said expecially in terms of interval training, but there is a huge difference running the 100 meters in 12 seconds and running it in 10.x seconds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ...I was about to say, football You mean football(soccer).
    there only one football i.e. the one played mainly with the feet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sanj16
    IMO SRR would clean up today. The complete fighter! Given the modern fight game and training method, as well as the gaps between fights, he would have been unbeatable, he pretty near was back then. Watching his fights now still amazes me, now thats really doubling up your left hook to the body!!
    Don't fool yourself... fighters back didn't throw as many punches... there were many areas with gaps in every fight back then. Also the guys were slower, and had less technique... People say that SRR was lighting quick, but when I saw his first fight with Lamotta he looked ordinary in terms of speed compared to the guys now. As for soccer Maradona wasn't that long ago, and even he used to pretend he was hurt more than he actually was... He would complain as well. Pele is too long ago for me, but I'm sure he was the same way... its part of soccer/football.

Thread Information