Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatton: Overrated or just a bad night?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hatton: Overrated or just a bad night?

www.eastsideboxing.com

17.05.06 - By James Anthony, photo by David M Warr / DKP - An ill-conceived move up in weight? Jet lag? A bad match for Ricky style-wise? Or simply not as good as we'd thought? Different people have different views on the outcome of the Hatton – Collazo bout, but as someone who's watched a fair few of Hatton's fights, I suspect the answer is a combination of all of these and one other – Hatton simply had a bad night, above and beyond the reasons put forward by fans and foes alike.

Whilst it is beyond debate that Collazo shut down some of Hatton's game through superior boxing skills and sheer size, Ricky's poor performance cannot be excused by that alone. He didn't work the body as he usually does, even when he had opportunity. He took rounds off when it was poorly advised to do so, and unlike in past performances when he would box clever when getting a breather, the hands remained low and head movement almost non-existent. Most notably, after the first few rounds he often held on the inside even when he had chance to punch, as though mentally he wasn't up for the bout. We can debate WHY this was the case, and there are certainly plenty of potential reasons, but I suspect this was a matter of an athlete having an off-night.

Maybe Ricky isn't as good as we hoped, but he has never been the sort of fighter that dominated on skills or power alone. Work rate, fierce body punching, great stamina and his sheer intensity are what have brought him this far, making him – in my opinion at least – more susceptible when he's not 100% on than many other boxers. Floyd Mayweather, for example, tends to be so superior to his opponents that we may not even notice when he's having a bad night, such is his dominance.

How good is Hatton? Despite what some American fans think about their often rabid British counterparts, we don't generally get excited about a fighter unless he really is something special. Hamed, for example, was hard to properly appreciate unless you'd been privy to watching his rise, when he exhibited some truly breathtaking skills. Judging him in his U.S. fights – and Ricky off this one bout – is like judging Tyson on his post jail performances alone. Hatton is beatable, for sure, but whoever beats him will have to dig deep.

What of a rematch? While there is no doubt Collazo was a real handful and boxed well, he could have done better, and seemed to grow in confidence and effectiveness as the fight wore on. Hatton would be foolish to engage in a high-risk, low-reward (financially, compared to the potential superfights out there) rematch with him. That said, I suspect we'd see a very different Hatton second time around, the same Ricky that earned the accolades he enjoys in the UK.

The American jury may still be out on Hatton, and understandably so, but the best is yet to come.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hatton: Overrated or just a bad night?

Im willing to give Hatton the benefit of the doubt....If Hatton can make ammends with a rousing effort next time out then im sure many fickle minds will be won over again....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People thought Hatton was unstoppable, and they found out different, and Hatton found out different.

Thats basically it

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Im willing to give Hatton the benefit of the doubt....If Hatton can make ammends with a rousing effort next time out then im sure many fickle minds will be won over again....
    Aside from the Lacy fight, I think me and you agree on pretty much everything. Agreed ompletely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bad night
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    People thought Hatton was unstoppable, and they found out different, and Hatton found out different.

Thats basically it
    no fighter is unstoppable and hatton is no different....

Hatton had a tough fight but nonetheless battled through and got a result, lets see where Ricky goes from here, this is where Hatton has a chance to show what his back bone is really made of....I dont doubt that he can make up for that lacklustre performance....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only in a rematch

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only in a rematch
    Ive no qualms with that, Starr....but whether the Hatton camp does is another matter entirely

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats basically it
    I don't recall anyone saying Hatton was unstoppable. He just had a bad night coupled with the fact that Collazo had one of his best night's. I have no doubt Hatton can do and will do better,and that was one of his only few bad nights in how many pro fights?! At least Hatton fans have no need to retort to "oh,that was a different Hatton" and the next fight"oh that was a different Hatton" a la Zab fans. I mean there must have been at least 6 versions of Zab right?
    Why am I using Zab,well he had more "off" nights than anyone else and was still excused and given big fights,Hatton has 1 and is just crucified!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game

Thats basically it
    I don't recall anyone saying Hatton was unstoppable. He just had a bad night coupled with the fact that Collazo had one of his best night's. I have no doubt Hatton can do and will do better,and that was one of his only few bad nights in how many pro fights?! At least Hatton fans have no need to retort to "oh,that was a different Hatton" and the next fight"oh that was a different Hatton" a la Zab fans. I mean there must have been at least 6 versions of Zab right?
    Why am I using Zab,well he had more "off" nights than anyone else and was still excused and given big fights,Hatton has 1 and is just crucified!
    I reframe to speaking to someone who says the things I say are pathetic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When hatton grows into the weight, Collozo won't know what'll hit him
    I guarantee it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When Collazo turns up the intensity in the 3rd what he did to Ricky in the 12th the Hitman won't know where his 0 went

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When Collazo turns up the intensity in the 3rd what he did to Ricky in the 12th the Hitman won't know where his 0 went

If a rematch occurs I think its Collazo who wont know what hit him...too much is being made of a bad day at the races. Things went a little pear shaped in there, but Hatton WON. Not by much, but he won nonetheless. Who's to say if Collazo can repeat that showing? Im pretty sure he's never been better than that night, and im adamant that Hatton has been somewhat better....

A big if on the rematch front though, coz we dont know if there will be one....

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SecondRoundKO
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Aside from the Lacy fight, I think me and you agree on pretty much everything. Agreed ompletely.
    thats because i use subversive methods of mind control

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think Hatton is overrated, he is what he is, he fights the same every fight.

his opponent either can take the relentless pace or they cant, those who can do well with him, Collazos natural strength at that weight helped him, although he apeared to be a good boxer he did like to lean on the ropes quite alot and Hatton still managed to bundle him over a few times.

I dont think it was a matter of Colllazo being too strong or welterweight is a step too far, I think Hatton would have looked shit against him at light welter weight, he was just good and hopefully future bouts will prove this.

Hattons win cant be that bad in the eyes of the US audience because alot of posters on boards are saying that this now raises Collazos standing as a world class fighter, now to get beaten by someone not world class at that weight doesnt make Collazo world class, unless people are agreeing that Hatton is good at welter weight

Thread Information