Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Problem?

Alright everyone I haven't got any gyms near where I live for miles and I want to improve my boxing technique. I'm thinking about getting a bag but don't know what weight and size to get. I am 14, quite small and weigh about 9 stone. I haven't ever boxed only mucking about on my mates punchbag's but most times when I punch the bag it hurts my wrists. I would appreciate if you took time to answer these. Thankyou. Karlos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Problem?

what does it mean when you say 9 stones? just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by athlete.not.fighter
    what does it mean when you say 9 stones? just curious.
    IT's how much he weighs, 14lbs per stone.

Karlos, if your wrists are hurting then your punching technique is probably off, do they sometimes sort of buckle, i.e. wrist bend, on impact? If you can find someone who has boxed to show you exactly how to punch then you'll be better off, even then it might take some time for your wrists to strengthen on the bag so don't go nuts on it, focus on technique.

Im not going to go through a step by step on each punch because im not a trainer, and there are probably many places on the web that explain it 10 times better than I ever could (try Joe's corner on the top of this forum). What I will say is you need to hold your wrists straight on impact, don't let them bend, and also make sure that when you make contact with the bag with the middle knuckle taking most of the impact (if you're hitting and just glancing the bag with the outer knuckles or thumb than your hand will rotate side to side and cuse more stress on the wrists).

I used to have wrist troubles, and still have to be weary and careful when hitting the bag. Hand wraps help a lot and are essential if you're thinking of taking up boxing seriously, there's a thread on how to put them up above on this forum. Personally I've also strengthen my hands and forarms with hand grips over the last few months and it seems to have helped.

Thread Information