Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Malignaggi fuming over weigh in times & possible Cotto advantage...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Team Malignaggi fuming over weigh in times & possible Cotto advantage...

Team Malignaggi fuming!

Tuesday, June 6 2006

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...ZqUGTzrjB.html

Team Malignaggi is upset about Friday's weigh in being held at 1 PM, rather than the traditional 5 PM start, for Saturday night's WBO light welterweight title match at Madison Square Garden between defending champion Miguel Cotto (26-0, 22 KOs) and Paulie "The Magic Man" Malignaggi (21-0, 5 KOs). Malignaggi's manager, Sal LoNano, questioned the weigh in time being so early. "This is a disgrace," he fumed. "Why is it at 1 o'clock? I've never heard of such a thing. It's usually at 5. I'm concerned about the safety of my fighter. By the time Paulie steps into the ring, he'll be fighting a super middleweight. I was even willing to do it at 3, but that's not an option. It (early weigh in) gives Cotto an edge; four extra hours to put weight back on, and four less hours of starving himself to make weight. It's just not fair and I'm very upset about this decision. I think we should consider asking a few doctors for their opinion about the potential safety and health issues of an early weigh in."
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Team Malignaggi fuming over weigh in times & possible Cotto advantage...

Being a massive fan of Cotto...I personally think that his weight fluctuations are atrocious.

Malignaggi's people have a legit gripe.

With the outcome of the most recent Corrales Castillo debacle...it'd be a shame for this fight to get cancelled.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Team Malignaggi fuming over weigh in times & possible Cotto advantage...

A 1:00 weight in is early but not unheard of. Was it changed or were thay just not infornmed to begin with? It sounds like Paulies people just assumed it was five
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well they should have been fuming when they signed the fight because from the sounds of it...it was written into the contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was it? I don't think they'd be fumming if it was in the contract to start with

Still if Cotto makes weight comes in at Super Middleweight and knocked out Malignaggi no one would care, they would say that Cotto was the better.

But if Malignaggi somehow wins, I wonder if people are going to say that the early weigh in made him drain himself in less time to make the weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont get it what is the big deal? shouldnt you already be at the weight by now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TaxanBaller
    i dont get it what is the big deal? shouldnt you already be at the weight by now?
    No.

Most fighters drain themselves the morning of the fight to make the weight on time. the earlier time means that Cotto can melt to 140 for the weigh in.. but the 4 extra hours give him about 32 hours before fight time instead of 28. In those 32 hours Cotto may be coming in at 160 the night of the fight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Miguel will want to come in too over weight,and it sounds as if team Malignaggi are already making excuses for their impending defeat. I mean,think about it,the more over weight Cotto comes in,surely the more advantage Malignaggi has?? I'm getting pretty excited about this fight,especially as my boy should be going to 147 straight after!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    I don't think Miguel will want to come in too over weight,and it sounds as if team Malignaggi are already making excuses for their impending defeat. I mean,think about it,the more over weight Cotto comes in,surely the more advantage Malignaggi has?? I'm getting pretty excited about this fight,especially as my boy should be going to 147 straight after!!!
    Paulie Malinaggi can cry me a fukin river. CC Miles. This is a built in excuse, Malinaggi knows he is gonna get his lil ass beaten by Cotto. Miguel should come into the song from "The Warriors", ..."nowhere to run to baby, nowhere hide..."
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with the Paulie camp on this one

1pm gives him a hell of a lot of time to blow back up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Team Malignaggi voice a real concern. I remember watching Cotto fight Corley awhile back and he packed on 17 pounds since the weigh-in and Corley only put on 3. The power difference was readily apparent as soon as Cotto landed the first punch. And Corley still was able to shake him up in the third. Malignaggi better be careful.

El Kabong Guest

Malinaggi's team has a good point.....but I would LOVE to see Cotto weigh 168 and just beat Malinaggi to a bloody pulp.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Malinaggi's team has a good point.....but I would LOVE to see Cotto weigh 168 and just beat Malinaggi to a bloody pulp.
    I'd like to see Malignaggi get beat to a bloody pulp by Cotto at any weight
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i honestly have never thought that the way ins should be any more than 24 hours b4 the fight so i defintaly am against it being 32 hours b4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought paulie was so confident it didn't matter what Cotto did he would win, I guess he knows he is going to get hit, and dosen't want to get hit by a guy out weighing him by 20lbs. It dosen't matter Cotto will knock him out no matter what time the weigh in is.

Thread Information