Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Can Anyone Now Rank Hopkins Lower than Roy Jones?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Can Anyone Now Rank Hopkins Lower than Roy Jones?

I'm not bashing Roy and I'm not even saying that Bernard deserves to now rank higher on the all time p4p list than Roy, but I think he at least deserves to be even with him for these reasons. Even though Roy won belts in 4 divisions and Hopkins only won in 2, Bernard became the undisputed champ of both divisions, while Roy only was undisputed at one weight class, light heavyweight (and some even question that for his not fighting Dariusz). Next, when Roy got his @ss kicked, he was mentally destroyed and unable to overcome it, whereas Hopkins loses 2 close fights, moves up, and dominates Tarver (all at the age of 41 mind you). Hopkins has also never come remotely close to being stopped or KO'd. Even though Roy beat him we all know Bernard was too green at that time. I do blame him though just as much as Roy for there not being a rematch because they're both stubborn. Roy also is far and away the better athlete with more natural ability, but I think Bernard evens that out with his superior toughness and technical skill that is second to no one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Can Anyone Now Rank Hopkins Lower than Roy Jones?

A) Hopkins wasn't knocked out

Anyway I don't know who you rank higher on the p4p lists, They will probably are equal. Hopkins did his thing in his divisions and Roy did his thing in his divisions. Hopkins is more recent, but you can't discredit what Roy's already done.

They are going to be equal on the p4p lists probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy is higher than Bernard because when they fought roy beat him..and they both were just has cautious in that fight....Roy has beat far better competition, was 49-1 (dq) 36 years old before he lost...and the reason hopkins was able to not be discouraged after his two losses where because he didn't get ktfo....

here we go again...a fighter does something and now everyone wants over hype the accomplishment...yeah bhop destroyed tarver...which is exactly what bernard and calzaghe said a prime roy would have done to tarver...

point is..tarver wasn't all that to begin with, and most wanted bhop to beat him because he was a loud mouth, lucky crackhead that caught roy...

and bernard moving up to LHW...isn't all that because by his own admission he could have done it 5 years ago, but chose to stay at MW because the risks were lower and he knew he could capitalize on the division being weak and break the title defence record....

so bhop is great..but a prime roy kicks his ass anyday of the week and twice on sunday..regardless of what version bhop it is he loses to a prime roy everytime...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather
    Roy is higher than Bernard because when they fought roy beat him..and they both were just has cautious in that fight....Roy has beat far better competition, was 49-1 (dq) 36 years old before he lost...and the reason hopkins was able to not be discouraged after his two losses where because he didn't get ktfo....

here we go again...a fighter does something and now everyone wants over hype the accomplishment...yeah bhop destroyed tarver...which is exactly what bernard and calzaghe said a prime roy would have done to tarver...

point is..tarver wasn't all that to begin with, and most wanted bhop to beat him because he was a loud mouth, lucky crackhead that caught roy...

and bernard moving up to LHW...isn't all that because by his own admission he could have done it 5 years ago, but chose to stay at MW because the risks were lower and he knew he could capitalize on the division being weak and break the title defence record....

so bhop is great..but a prime roy kicks his a** anyday of the week and twice on sunday..regardless of what version bhop it is he loses to a prime roy everytime...
    Disagree with virtually everything you tried to say. If one of your reasonings for Roy ranking higher than Hopkins is because he won when they fought, than I guess Clinton Mitchell must also rank higher than Bernard, considering he beat him too. The fact is Bernard was not the fighter he would become later and everyone knows that. It's also laughable to say Roy beat better competition, let alone FAR better competition . You do realize that Roy had his top p4p spot snatched by nearly half of boxing writers before he even lost because his opponents were jokes right? That's when some guys started putting Mosley or Trinidad #1, pretty embarrassing when you think about it. Even intellegent Jones fans acknowledge that Hopkins would have given Roy problems no matter when they fought. It's clear you see things through Roy rose colored glasses though. I agree with everyone else that they rank evenly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    A) Hopkins wasn't knocked out

Anyway I don't know who you rank higher on the p4p lists, They will probably are equal. Hopkins did his thing in his divisions and Roy did his thing in his divisions. Hopkins is more recent, but you can't discredit what Roy's already done.

They are going to be equal on the p4p lists probably.
    they would be like a 1 and 1a....not THE #1p4p mind you but as far as they go....RJJ has to get the edge simply because he beat him...a green HOPKINS but a win nonetheless...but, because of the enormous improvement of B-HOP it makes this almost impossible to come to a decision on who is better...RJJ embarrassed fighters with speed and power...B-HOP beat his opponents with an excellent gameplan, conditioning and EXECUTION....B-HOP was an excellent boxer..RJJ was an excellent fighter...there is a difference....which is why I say 1 and 1a...
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3000
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather

so bhop is great..but a prime roy kicks his a** anyday of the week and twice on sunday..regardless of what version bhop it is he loses to a prime roy everytime...
    Disagree with virtually everything you tried to say. If one of your reasonings for Roy ranking higher than Hopkins is because he won when they fought, than I guess Clinton Mitchell must also rank higher than Bernard, considering he beat him too. The fact is Bernard was not the fighter he would become later and everyone knows that. It's also laughable to say Roy beat better competition, let alone FAR better competition . You do realize that Roy had his top p4p spot snatched by nearly half of boxing writers before he even lost because his opponents were jokes right? That's when some guys started putting Mosley or Trinidad #1, pretty embarrassing when you think about it. Even intellegent Jones fans acknowledge that Hopkins would have given Roy problems no matter when they fought. It's clear you see things through Roy rose colored glasses though. I agree with everyone else that they rank evenly.
    I doubt that. Roys style would have beaten Hopkins Just because Bernard beat Tarver doesn't mean he would have beaten Roy.

They do rank evenly I do agree with that. But I disagree with you saying that Roy's opponents are all jokes. Since most went on to become Champions. Just like Mayweathers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who ever said Roy would lose to Hopkins I said Hopkins would have given Roy trouble no matter what to dispute the nonsense that "a prime Roy kicks Bernard's a** any day of the week."

Also, learn to read, no one ever said ALL of Roy's opponents were jokes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't say that either, I was just making a point. Why you have to take everything like I'm addressing you when I'm simply makign a point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hopkins fought tougher competition and achieved much more than Roy, and he done while fighting stiffer competition. He fought Roy when he was green. If they would've fought in the last 10 years, B-Hop would have beat his ass.

P4P B-Hop should also be higher than Roy. He's never been knocked out, and he beat the crap out of both fighters who knocked Roy on his face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckwopat
    I think Hopkins fought tougher competition and achieved much more than Roy, and he done while fighting stiffer competition. He fought Roy when he was green. If they would've fought in the last 10 years, B-Hop would have beat his ass.

P4P B-Hop should also be higher than Roy. He's never been knocked out, and he beat the crap out of both fighters who knocked Roy on his face.
    man who beat the man *shakes head* I think they'll be equal on p4p rankings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hopkins fought tougher competition and achieved much more than Roy, and he done while fighting stiffer competition. He fought Roy when he was green. If they would've fought in the last 10 years, B-Hop would have beat his a**.

that's an at best...B-HOP cannot be rated over RJJ because of the loss...speculate about the what if's.....the bottome line is still RJJ won and they will be fore ever linked to that fight...I call them even....or 1-1a if you will....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hopkins fought tougher competition and achieved much more than Roy, and he done while fighting stiffer competition. He fought Roy when he was green. If they would've fought in the last 10 years, B-Hop would have beat his a**.

man who wouldn't fight the man again, *gives a thumbs up and a crotch grab*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu

that's an at best...B-HOP cannot be rated over RJJ because of the loss...speculate about the what if's.....the bottome line is still RJJ won and they will be fore ever linked to that fight...I call them even....or 1-1a if you will....
    And Daniel Santos will forever be better than Margarito? Oscar will forever be better than Julio Cesar Chavez (maybe)?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy was better than B Hopkins in most respects, B Hopkins has better fundimentals, a better chin and probably the best longivity of any fighter out there.. maybe ever... You could argue George Foreman... but he looked like a man in his 40s... Bernard looks like he's only just reached his mid 30s.

30 just gets it for me prime for prime I would say he was better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's very difficult to make a clear cut case of either fighter being better than the other so I'd be inclined to say they rank about evenly. Gene Tunney beat Jack Demsey, twice, and no one ranks him higher than Dempsey. On the other hand Hagler was never KO'd but Duran was, AND Duran lost to Hagler, but everyone has Duran ranked higher than Hagler on the all time p4p list. There's just so many variables involved.

Thread Information