Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did the head butt change Shane Mosley's career

Watching Shane Mosley in the late 90's and early 00's he looked invincible. He and Meldric Taylor had the fastest hands I have ever seen. First round against Forrest he dominated, he suffered a head butt in the second round and then came a brutal beating. He has not been the same since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did the head butt change Shane Mosley's career

He was headbutted a lot in that fight. And Forrest got away with it, you can notice because of Shane screaming in pain and it wasn't because of Forrests punches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    He was headbutted a lot in that fight. And Forrest got away with it, you can notice because of Shane screaming in pain and it wasn't because of Forrests punches
    But he has never been the same since, do you think that is the reason why or was it the beating he took after the headbutt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gbrandon

Watching Shane Mosley in the late 90's and early 00's he looked invincible. He and Meldric Taylor had the fastest hands I have ever seen. First round against Forrest he dominated, he suffered a head butt in the second round and then came a brutal beating. He has not been the same since.
    I think the loss because of all those headbutts is what did him in alittle....can't say it completely did him in because he is still fighting....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    But he has never been the same since, do you think that is the reason why or was it the beating he took after the headbutt.
    yea he could probably never clear his head after that. And whenever he tried to come on Forrest would headbutt him again. Forrest has always been a dirty fighter, but Karma's a mug when he fought Mayorga and tried to complain about rabbit punches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good point there. Yes a vicious head butt can be worse then a punch and cause lasting balance problems. And sporadic migraines. An MRI would show significant damage . I thinks in this case it was just the over whelming size of Forrest that got Shane. Vernon had the right game plan for Shane (the style to neutralize Mosley's assets) IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym

Good point there. Yes a vicious head butt can be worse then a punch and cause lasting balance problems. And sporadic migraines. An MRI would show significant damage . I thinks in this case it was just the over whelming size of Forrest that got Shane. Vernon had the right game plan for Shane (the style to neutralize Mosley's assets) IMO
    If you see him fight today he is a shade of his former self. He defeated Vargas in his last fight but it was lackluster and far from a dominate performance, besides I think if the fight would not have been stopped Vargas would have won, he was coming on strong in the late rounds. Two shot fighters fighting on pride. But in his prime he was poetry in motion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, Shane has himself to blame as well. After the DLH fight he focused more on his power and blowing people away rather then his speed and breaking people down and he became flat footed, neglected defense, and had holes in his defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you see him fight today he is a shade of his former self. He defeated Vargas in his last fight but it was lackluster and far from a dominate performance, besides I think if the fight would not have been stopped Vargas would have won, he was coming on strong in the late rounds. Two shot fighters fighting on pride. But in his prime he was poetry in motion.
    Possibly it was factor in slowing him down and maybe ageing him a little quicker than if that fight against Forrest didnt happen, but he is 34/35 now and the hands and movement are never going to be good or as slick as say 6-10 years earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983

Possibly it was factor in slowing him down and maybe ageing him a little quicker than if that fight against Forrest didnt happen, but he is 34/35 now and the hands and movement are never going to be good or as slick as say 6-10 years earlier.
    Good point, but Shane has not fought the same since the first round off the Forrest fight. That was four years ago when he was still in his prime, ever since then he has wheeled off poor performances including in his victories. Vargas fight was like watching my father fight my uncle, and he did not deserve the second ODLH fight. We can mention his age now but back then there was no excuse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well done on that observation .

I have no doubts that the headbutt had a knock on effect which damaged the rest of his career . Whther he went gunshy after or he just lost his timing , im certian it stems down to that fight and that incident . He is still a top world class fighter now ofcourse but maybe if he wasnt nutted that night then now he could be the new Sugar Ray Robinson

El Kabong Guest

Meldrick's problem was that he was PERFECT for a slick boxer but he was from Philly and he wanted to be a slugger...good job Mel, it ruined you, you could have beaten a PRIME Julio Cesar Chavez but you wanted to slug it out and it cost you, not just in the last round but throughout the fight he got SWOLE UP something fierce

Mosley's problem is he's a tiny version of Mike Tyson minus the power (above 135) he had fast hands but at 147-154 he was not a power threat. 140 would have been the best place for him to shine. Taller boxers or boxers with a good jab frustrated Shane, his head movement wasn't as good later on either. He has a great chin though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983

Good point, but Shane has not fought the same since the first round off the Forrest fight. That was four years ago when he was still in his prime, ever since then he has wheeled off poor performances including in his victories. Vargas fight was like watching my father fight my uncle, and he did not deserve the second ODLH fight. We can mention his age now but back then there was no excuse.
    Whoever he was with promotionally kept him inactive.

After he lost to Forrest the second time he was off for a year and went up to 154 to fight Marquez. and he looked good but him and Marquez kept butting, and the fight was stopped on cuts from headbutts. Then Mosley was off for another year and then the fight with Delahoya came up and Mosley won. Then he fought Wright twice and lost twice. And then took a year off and moved back down to 147 pounds, and fought the guy called um.. Estrada, and then he was off for a little while and then fought Cruz, and then he went abck up to 154 to fight Vargas. But those golden years after the Forrest fight were more circumstance then Shane's fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good question...but I don't think so.

Forrest just dominated him period & once Shane got dominated...it stuck in his noggin for quite sometime.

I still think that Shane is on the way out...he just hasn't recognized it yet...nor have his fans.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think its all because he's up too high..i'd take the 34 year old mosley over anybody at 140 or below....he's too strong and will be fast enough to catch anybody down there....even floyd at 140 would have more than his hand full with mosely at 140
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Thread Information