Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 31 too old to start learning to fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 31 too old to start learning to fight?

im 31 and have always been a die hardboxing fan (and an apologist for the fighters i love---you guys probably know that already--but ill admit it)

anyway im not looking to be a competitive fighter or anything i just want to learn the art, get back into top shape, and learn how to fight basically---looking really to improve my overall self image and self confidence really

anyway just to give you some background on me--ive lost 36 pounds in the last eight weeks with diet and exercise --from 302 to 266--i was never fat at 302 i had a powerlifters physiique, benched about 380+ , and i always looked lighter than what i was............ at 302 people would tell me i looked 250 or so and now people tell me i look like im 220ish---

im a little over 6'3, former college basketball player, also played HS football, baseball, and a little volleyball actually so im pretty athletic and always have been---i always thought id make a good fighter but i never took that first step

now at 31 i realize i wont be young forever and id like to learn how to fight

what do u guys thnk?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 31 too old to start learning to fight?

you are too old to learn to fight but if you want to maintain a fitness level then perhaps it could be a good thing to train just for conditioning....its up to you really...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

could i learn enough to whip the average guy on the street's ass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LawHoops
    could i learn enough to whip the average guy on the street's a**?
    I THINK THE HOT CHICK FROM MILLION DOLLAR BABY WAS 31 OR SOMETHING WHEN SHE LEARNED TO FIGHT

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if we are talking boxing then maybe no....street thugs dont respect fighting regulations like we do...

but in terms of self defence of course you can learn your thing and defend your ass!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're never too old to learn how to fight. At your size, you probably could already beat most
    people up without even trying!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want this then learn MMA ,

As for boxing.. just try your best , get in the gym, learn some moves ,get some sparring experience, see how you feel.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Train, spar, have fun. Just don't quit that day job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Learning how to defend yourself in a street situation has nothing to do with age Mr. Lawhoops. Just look for a good instructor who doesn't mind teaching you how to rip a persons ear off. It's actually very interesting to learn how to break the human body down - it's tough but at the same time it's really not. Easier said than done though, good instructors who will go 1 on 1 with you and have no hesitations about teaching all that wonderful brutal stuff are hard to come by. Also if you're in a big city more than likely theres a local MMA training facility you can look up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    if we are talking boxing then maybe no....street thugs dont respect fighting regulations like we do...

but in terms of self defence of course you can learn your thing and defend your ass!
    are you trying to tell me that boxing dosen't help in a street fight?
    Ofcourse if you can box, you can whip the average guy on the street....The average guy would be k'od with one decent punch to the chin.
    It certainly worked for me

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im 31 and have always been a die hardboxing fan (and an apologist for the fighters i love---you guys probably know that already--but ill admit it)

anyway im not looking to be a competitive fighter or anything i just want to learn the art, get back into top shape, and learn how to fight basically---looking really to improve my overall self image and self confidence really

anyway just to give you some background on me--ive lost 36 pounds in the last eight weeks with diet and exercise --from 302 to 266--i was never fat at 302 i had a powerlifters physiique, benched about 380+ , and i always looked lighter than what i was............ at 302 people would tell me i looked 250 or so and now people tell me i look like im 220ish---

im a little over 6'3, former college basketball player, also played HS football, baseball, and a little volleyball actually so im pretty athletic and always have been---i always thought id make a good fighter but i never took that first step

what do u guys thnk?
    fatty !!

Unless you have a bodybuilders physique, sorry and all, but you are overweight. At 6'3" and 300 lbs you will need to lose some weight for when you are older and putting stress on ageing internal organs (many american foorballers, rugby players etc find this on retirement)

maybe doing the aerobic boxing type training would be really good for you, in replacing some of that slow-twitch muscle with fast-twitch?

Just trying to help

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what do u guys thnk?
    Your 31!!! LMAO!!

I honestly thought you were tops 16, the immature crap you post on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X

what do u guys thnk?
    fatty !!

Unless you have a bodybuilders physique, sorry and all, but you are overweight. At 6'3" and 300 lbs you will need to lose some weight for when you are older and putting stress on ageing internal organs (many american foorballers, rugby players etc find this on retirement)

maybe doing the aerobic boxing type training would be really good for you, in replacing some of that slow-twitch muscle with fast-twitch?

Just trying to help

no question i was overweight........but i had a ton of dense muscle on me--like i said most people thought i was like 250 or so--i had a 38 inch waist at 302...but no question that being that weight in unhealthy at any age let alone as you get into your 30's and beyond....which is why ive lost alot of weight already down to 266 and hoping to trim off another 20 or so..........

my back and feet were really starting to ache with all that weight on ...i already feel a shitload better at 266..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its not like im looking for bar fights..just the opposite at this point in my life--im a lawyer, with a wife and 3 month old son....those days are long long gone--i dont even go to bars anymore...i guess its just something in my life ive always wanted to try and never have and age snuck up on me a little like it does everyone i guess

my only concern about sparring is how i would look in court with a fat ass lip and black eye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what do u guys thnk?
    Too old?!?!? no way...My backround was much like yours, HS Football, Baseball, lifting(only 340lbs bench) and martial arts...started boxing at 35yrs old and it is by far the most fun I've had training...in a short time I was sparring and within a year sparring with very good amatures and a few decent pro's...I do it for the love of the sport and the fitness aspect...if your training to fight in the octagon then its probably not the ideal discipline to learn...but I can tell you first hand in a bar room situation facing some jerk with a point to prove it's more than effective, more so than many martial arts...because boxing teaches you how to "let your hands go" at full speed and power ....where most martial arts have you working at half speed and not trying to make full contact....If you train seriously you'll be a better fighter inside of 3 months gauranteed...

Thread Information