Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Excellent JT-Wright Analysis: WINKY IS AS WINKY DOES

http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ringupdate.html

WINKY IS AS WINKY DOES
    By William Dettloff

You almost can’t blame Winky Wright for thinking he had his fight against Jermain Taylor wrapped up going into the final couple of rounds on Saturday night. After all, he’d been pretty successful at doing what he does: putting up his gloves and blocking punches. He’d been doing it all night. He did it right up until the final bell.

The problem was blocking punches doesn’t get you points. Landing punches does—hard punches, especially. That’s what Taylor was doing, more or less, while Wright was wearing the earmuffs, and that’s why Wright didn’t walk out of the ring as the new middleweight champion.

Every generation has its great defensive fighters. Ours has been Wright, who was so incensed about the draw decision that he bolted from the ring so fast after the result was announced that you’d have thought it was on fire. Then, after telling Larry Merchant he wasn’t interested in a rematch, he boycotted the postfight press conference. Still blocking shots.

It wasn’t like Wright didn’t get any good business done. He did. Most of it came whenever Taylor inexplicably backed into a corner and permitted him to open up. Why Taylor did it repeatedly is anyone’s guess. He said afterward it was to lure Wright in so he could counter him, but after it didn’t work the first, oh, 14 or 15 times, why did he continue? Especially with Emanuel Steward telling him between rounds to stay the hell off the ropes?

At any rate, you could see throughout the middle rounds that Wright was deluding himself when after yet another round of blocking most of Taylor’s shots but doing nothing great himself offensively, he walked back to his corner with his hands raised high overhead.

It occurred to me after about the third or fourth consecutive round of this that he thought he was winning because he was blocking about 70 percent of Taylor’s punches. Winky: If 30 percent of Taylor’s shots get in, and they’re hard, and you land about nine punches and they’re, well, not so hard, who do you think the judges will think won that round?

That’s not the way fighters think. A fighter always thinks that if he’s successful doing what he does best, he wins. If a slugger chases a boxer all night, he thinks he won even if he never lands anything that big, because he was coming forward. If a great jabber jabs the bejesus out of a guy but doesn’t do anything else and loses a decision, he feels robbed because he outjabbed the other guy. And when a defensive genius is good at making the other guy miss—Taylor connected at just a 23 percent rate, according to CompuBox—he thinks he won. You can’t blame him, I guess. But sometimes he’s going to be wrong.

I know, the stats said Wright landed about 60 more punches than did Taylor. Big deal. I’d rather get hit with 60 clean shots by Wright than by 60 blocked or half-blocked shots by Taylor, many of which were hard enough to drive Wright’s own gloves against his head, which is almost as good as a landed punch, in my book. Still, it was Wright’s fight to lose over the last couple of rounds. He didn’t win it because he did what had gotten him there in the first place, and to him that should have been good enough. This time it wasn’t.

Random observations:

I didn’t see any evidence that Emanuel Steward has improved Taylor. He still has terrible balance, he still keeps his hands too low, and for cripes’ sake, why can’t he throw a straight right hand without looking like he’s going to fall over? He wins almost entirely on desire and athleticism. But, then, he’s the undefeated world middleweight champion and I get winded busting open a bag of Cheetos, so what do I know?

Eureka! Lennox Lewis finally offered the kind of insight we knew was in him all along when he said during the fifth round that when Taylor is in the corner he should keep his hands up because in that position he doesn’t have any room to back up. It sounds obvious, but is exactly the kind of expert analysis we expect a fighter to provide. Good for you, Lennox. Keep it up.

Kudos to HBO for not editing out Dan Birmingham’s colorful language in the prefight segment. This is how people talk—in real life and especially in the fight game. If you want to hear fake, sanitized language, watch Everyone Loves Raymond.

When Jeff Lacy lost to Joe Calzaghe last April, I faulted Birmingham for blaming Lacy for the loss, which, in my view, was completely beyond Lacy’s control. I wouldn’t blame Birmingham a lick for blaming Wright for this result, as he told his fighter after the 11th to fight hard, after which Wright went out and frittered away the 12th as if he had the fight won.

There hasn’t been a fighter I can think of since Michael Spinks who is as honest and forthright about his shortcomings as is Taylor. What a likable kid he is.

How out of place did Lou DiBella look at The Kronk?

As he watched from outside the ropes all the attention being paid Taylor at Kronk, you could almost see Thomas Hearns thinking: Let me in there with him. I’ll whip his ass.

Bill Dettloff can be contacted at dettloff@ptd.net.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Excellent JT-Wright Analysis: WINKY IS AS WINKY DOES

One of the best articles I've read for a long time.

Some great points in there. I certainly agree with the op, that given the choice of soaking up punishment from either guy I would choose to face Winky's punches every time.

I fully expect to be in the minority here though.

Lots of Winky love to follow on the posts below

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrtko
    http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ringupdate.html

WINKY IS AS WINKY DOES
    By William Dettloff

The problem was blocking punches doesn’t get you points. Landing punches does—hard punches, especially. That’s what Taylor was doing, more or less, while Wright was wearing the earmuffs, and that’s why Wright didn’t walk out of the ring as the new middleweight champion.

Bill Dettloff can be contacted at dettloff@ptd.net.

Blocking punches doesn't get you points...but the ones that he cracked Taylor with after wards did...also...note to Bill...landing punches on one's guard doesn't score points...unless your'e judging an HBO honey pot fight.

Stupid article.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh any article that paints Taylor with glory for something is called an Excellent JT Wright analysis. But any article that tells the TRUTH is called a stupid article eh?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

problem is now days people score fighting and not boxing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Oh any article that paints Taylor with glory for something is called an Excellent JT Wright analysis. But any article that tells the TRUTH is called a stupid article eh?
    Whatever you say big girl guy.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I Know This Thread Is Old But I Just Wanted To Share My Thoughts On That Fight I Still Think About It Till This Day Lol.

True You Dont Get Points For Blocking, But You Dnt Get Points As Well For Not Hitting Your Opponent. Not Only Did Winky Land More Punches And Counterd Most Of Taylors Shots, He Was Def Robbed. U Can See Taylors Eye Shut Frm A Mile Away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nyc champ View Post
    I Know This Thread Is Old But I Just Wanted To Share My Thoughts On That Fight I Still Think About It Till This Day Lol.

True You Dont Get Points For Blocking, But You Dnt Get Points As Well For Not Hitting Your Opponent. Not Only Did Winky Land More Punches And Counterd Most Of Taylors Shots, He Was Def Robbed. U Can See Taylors Eye Shut Frm A Mile Away.

Taylor's eye swelled up due to a clash of heads. I thought the draw was justified. If it was the Olympic scoring system then Winky would've won because every landed punch is equal. But in the pro ranks you have to see the differences in a jab or soft punches landed and a powerful right hand landed. Taylor landed all the hard shots and Winky just wasn't consistent enought and didn't finish the show. Against a guy as strong as Taylor Winky needed to explode out of that shell defense, instead just jab, like Abraham but he may not have the power to be effective that way. Even if you favor Winky, this fight was too close to call a robbery.
    Last edited by blegit; 11-25-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight was like 3 years ago.....who cares.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by levi#1BoxingFan View Post
    The fight was like 3 years ago.....who cares.
    You're right. We should never discuss fights that happened in the past. What we need are more Mayweather - Pacquiao threads.

Thread Information