Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What the hell is up with Buddy Mcgirt

I dont know but im really starting to think hes overhyped as a trainer, tonight with Julio he had NO effective advice for the kid all he said all night was stick the jab and stay focused ...Duhhh i was not impressed what he did with Tarver nor Gatti lately i dont know maybe im missing something but i dont think hes all that great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What the hell is up with Buddy Mcgirt

yea i notice he suck as a trainier lately too...........

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThA BrOnX BuLL
    I dont know but im really starting to think hes overhyped as a trainer, tonight with Julio he had NO effective advice for the kid all he said all night was stick the jab and stay focused ...Duhhh i was not impressed what he did with Tarver nor Gatti lately i dont know maybe im missing something but i dont think hes all that great

Yeah and don't forget what he did for the career of Jimmy Lange?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McGirt gave the right advice, Joel just didn't do it, he tries to be precise with every punch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McGirt is a little overhyped, but so are his fighters (most). What really blew me away was in the Tarver Hopkins fight he never tolt Tarver that he needed a knock out but instead kept the original gameplan though the final round even though Tarver was getting his @ss handed to him.
    But the worst was when he tried to have Gatti outbox PBF. Freddie Roach is the best trainer today
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally...to an extent...all trainers are over hyped unless theyv'e been with a fighter for the duration of his career.

Think about fighters like Tyson & Ali.

Cus D'Amato took Tyson offa the streets. Cus was there for the duration. He turned Tyson around & more or less...this sounds terrible...tamed the animal that Tyson was to where ti could actually function.

Angelo Dundee was with Muhammad Ali for twenty or twenty one years...that's a trainer that knows the man as the fighter. 21 year's over a few months makes the difference in the mental relationship of the trainer, the ring, & the fighter.

Hopkins or Wright of late.

Bouie knew & refined the Nard like the back of his hand after he came out of the joint. Hopkins had a gameplan...but Bouie made it materialize. You could often see Bouie literally thinking for the Nard in the corner. He was the brain that drove the arm.

Same with Birmingham & Wright.

That type of relationship I can see working...but these trainers that are thrown in for 5 or 6 fights don't make a new fighter. Not McGirt...& not the glorious Manny Stewart...who I do feel is overratted.

I truly think that they stretch themselves to thin over so many fighters.

I believe that it's all in the fighter & his abilities.

Know what I mean?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    McGirt is a little overhyped, but so are his fighters (most). What really blew me away was in the Tarver Hopkins fight he never tolt Tarver that he needed a knock out but instead kept the original gameplan though the final round even though Tarver was getting his @ss handed to him.
    But the worst was when he tried to have Gatti outbox PBF. Freddie Roach is the best trainer today

To be honest Tarver and McGirt knew once he was in the ring with Hopkins that he just didn't have it, probably too much weight loss, not as good a training camp as Tarver seemed to think, he was just fighting for survival.

As for Gatti, it would have taken a miracle, even Moses couldn't couldn't have gotten him through that fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Know what I mean?
    [/quote]exactly.....how can you put your full attention and heart into a fighter if you have like 20 more that you're training.....now if all you had were like 2 or 3 I could see it happening....heck, maybe as much as 5.....but not 20..........something would be missing.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu

Know what I mean?
    exactly.....how can you put your full attention and heart into a fighter if you have like 20 more that you're training.....now if all you had were like 2 or 3 I could see it happening....heck, maybe as much as 5.....but not 20..........something would be missing.....
    [/quote]

I don't know I mean all 20 arnt' in training camp all at the same time, and I'm sure McGirt and other trainers have pretty well worked out schedules so that each fighter gets full attention when needed.

I expect these trainers don't come on their own as well, McGirt probably has two or more assistants who help oversea training and to whom tasks can be delegated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been asking myself the same question, it seems like everytime McGirt is in a fighter's corner as of late they lose. He's been on a pretty crappy run lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Personally...to an extent...all trainers are over hyped unless theyv'e been with a fighter for the duration of his career.

Think about fighters like Tyson & Ali.

Cus D'Amato took Tyson offa the streets. Cus was there for the duration. He turned Tyson around & more or less...this sounds terrible...tamed the animal that Tyson was to where ti could actually function.

Angelo Dundee was with Muhammad Ali for twenty or twenty one years...that's a trainer that knows the man as the fighter. 21 year's over a few months makes the difference in the mental relationship of the trainer, the ring, & the fighter.

Hopkins or Wright of late.

Bouie knew & refined the Nard like the back of his hand after he came out of the joint. Hopkins had a gameplan...but Bouie made it materialize. You could often see Bouie literally thinking for the Nard in the corner. He was the brain that drove the arm.

Same with Birmingham & Wright.

That type of relationship I can see working...but these trainers that are thrown in for 5 or 6 fights don't make a new fighter. Not McGirt...& not the glorious Manny Stewart...who I do feel is overratted.

Know what I mean?
    yea, kind of messed up the way Bouie said that there was no way Hopkins would ever beat Tarver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing is , a trainer is only going to be able to do so much for a fighter . Unless the trainer has brought them up from a pup , the fighter will have his way of doing things , which was instilled in him by previous trainers, some good and some bad, . Here is the thing Julio is a one dimensional fighter not unlike most huge punchers , who can easily be out boxed ,Julio is a fighter that is accustomed to mowing foes down in 3 or 4 rounds , What happens to fighters like this is they get discouraged and fatigued when forced to fight hard and long over a duration of 12 rounds. . , Very important to remember Julio was in there with another undefeated fighter who boxed and counterpunched well and was a southpaw to boot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he had other advice,

"DRINK THE WATER BABY!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    McGirt gave the right advice, Joel just didn't do it, he tries to be precise with every punch
    I am sorry, but, I feel McGirt was entirely wrong with the advice he gave to Julio...

Julio was behind, he didnt need to tell his fighter to NOT worry about the knock out, just keep working the jab...THE FUCKIN JAB WASNT WORKING!!! Also, if your fighter is behind and you tell him that, yeah, go for the knockout....

WTF McGirt?? I really like the guy, but he threw me off course last night listening to him in Julio's corner...

Gratz to Quintana for a well fought fight!! Very Impressive...

BTW, Brock lost a little credibility with me last night...

He was cheating like crazy in the ring last night....Alot of that came from the fact that he couldnt woop up on the guy like he wanted to....Why as a pro do you have to stoop to that level as a fighter Shame on Brock for that kind of fighting...

I think in a rematch Timur would knock his ass out....

Good Luck all,

Coach

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingCoachBW

I am sorry, but, I feel McGirt was entirely wrong with the advice he gave to Julio...

Julio was behind, he didnt need to tell his fighter to NOT worry about the knock out, just keep working the jab...THE F****** JAB WASNT WORKING!!! Also, if your fighter is behind and you tell him that, yeah, go for the knockout....

WTF McGirt?? I really like the guy, but he threw me off course last night listening to him in Julio's corner...
    Good point.

Gratz to Quintana for a well fought fight!! Very Impressive...
    Good point.

BTW, Brock lost a little credibility with me last night...

He was cheating like crazy in the ring last night....Alot of that came from the fact that he couldnt woop up on the guy like he wanted to....Why as a pro do you have to stoop to that level as a fighter Shame on Brock for that kind of fighting...
    Good point.

I think in a rematch Timur would knock his a** out....
    Er...... let's not get carried away.

Thread Information