Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Interested to begin

Hi

I'm a bit interested to begin boxing. This far I have only looked the internet for basics and some push ups and sit ups.
    But there is a problem.

I have tried to jab at home and I think that the form at least isn't terrible.
    But sometimes when I throw the jab there is a sound from the elbow and it hurts, sometimes quite alot, and I don't know why. The pain disappear quite fast though.

Once I made three such jabs (never done more at a time) before deciding this pain can't be a good thing. That evening I also felt a bit of pain in the elbow when I were doing some push ups. I actually felt a bit when I pressed my finger against a certain spot on the elbow for a week or two after that time (not by chance, pressed once in a while trying to find out what was wrong).

So my question is, is there something wrong with the form of the jab or is it my elbow?

Thanks for reading.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Interested to begin

You got a job if so what is it
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now I've got seasonal-work(correct translation?) at an elderly-care(?) home, but I'm really a student.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So youre astudent probably the tendons which work the thumb have tightened through writing or typing. thats the ones attached to the elbow. wrigle the thumb to locate them, then massage them into the elbow, this should help, keep doing it over a period of days.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Hi

I'm a bit interested to begin boxing. This far I have only looked the internet for basics and some push ups and sit ups.
    But there is a problem.

I have tried to jab at home and I think that the form at least isn't terrible.
    But sometimes when I throw the jab there is a sound from the elbow and it hurts, sometimes quite alot, and I don't know why. The pain disappear quite fast though.

Once I made three such jabs (never done more at a time) before deciding this pain can't be a good thing. That evening I also felt a bit of pain in the elbow when I were doing some push ups. I actually felt a bit when I pressed my finger against a certain spot on the elbow for a week or two after that time (not by chance, pressed once in a while trying to find out what was wrong).

So my question is, is there something wrong with the form of the jab or is it my elbow?

Thanks for reading.
    quit throwing your jabs so hard......throw them at about 50-60% for 2 3-min rounds until you have warmed up your elbows....then at the most you want to throw them at 70% never thow at full power unless your hitting something...if you do throw to hard you will hyperextend your elbows....possibly injure your shoulders as well......
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah you really want to take it easy if you are just starting. Just relax and go at your own pace, everyone is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

do you warm up? and warm down and stuff :P for 3 jabs it probly isn't worth it. but if your liek starting to do some work thatis longish and hardish then prehaps you shoudl warm down.wen i forget to stretch the next day my arms hurt heaps!

i might be thinking of something totally different but its there incase

satori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu

quit throwing your jabs so hard......throw them at about 50-60% for 2 3-min rounds until you have warmed up your elbows....then at the most you want to throw them at 70% never thow at full power unless your hitting something...if you do throw to hard you will hyperextend your elbows....possibly injure your shoulders as well......
    Didn't consider this, most probably the cause.
    By the way, can you hurt yourself this way in a real fight? Guess you don't completely miss the jab often, but does this happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu

Didn't consider this, most probably the cause.
    By the way, can you hurt yourself this way in a real fight? Guess you don't completely miss the jab often, but does this happen?
    usually you hit something and very rarely are you going to miss 3 times in a row.......but yes you will miss but the adrenaline is flowing and you won't notice anyway.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea, I would guess your throwing it too hard or extending your arm all the way and snapping it out sort of.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its nos specifically because he's throwing to hard... its because he's throwing to far from the bag... giving the elbow joint to much room to over extend.

Get your range right

Thread Information