Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default FLicker jab?

Does anyone here use a flicker jab and if so is it better to use then a normal jab?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: FLicker jab?

Can be usefull for a con, or to touch the right hand of the opponent or try see what the reaction is from him. But you must know what you are doing. If your a novice I wouldnt recomend it to an amatuer dont think so it doesnt serve any perpass.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

whats a flicker jab? i mean i honestly am not sure... what is it stiff, loose or what? lol do tell .
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im not sure what a flicker jab is myself . I think its like a jab that can turn and twist im not sure myself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just one you "flick" out there. no real harm is done. just a light test of the waters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeh thats sweet for trickery aswell i stick it out there to make em think im measuring a strait right hand and then i'll throw a stiff jab or a quick left hook, then i'll do it later and actually throw a right hand or one to the body, its terrific.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinlee
    Does anyone here use a flicker jab and if so is it better to use then a normal jab?
    It might can be used to wrack up points, but it won't do much damage.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I understand correctly...
    There is no point in a flicker jab, or in a jab just to tapyour foe's right hand. Consder what you are giving away. He can know judge your reach and time your hand speed. These are things you need to learn about him, not give away about yourself.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shinlee
    Watch Thomas Hearns he was a master at using the Flicker Jab.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Ive mentioned youve got to know what you are doing.Its a technique for the other guy having to move if he wants to throw a right hand he has to change the angle or step for direction. Plus its hard if not impossible to throw the hook because youve altered his feel througth touch, but you have to know what its about, and no how to counter a counter.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Shinlee,
    You asked:
    I used it sparingly and, in my opinion, it is definitely not better to use than a "normal" jab in the overall scheme of things.

Generally speaking, I think the "flicker" jab has limited utility. It's two main purposes are 1) to irritate an opponent like a "fly in your face" to feel him out and/or keep him from setting up a "rhythm" against you (for this purpose I would rather use a "normal" jab) and 2) to lull an opponent to "sleep" with a fast, light punch TO SET UP and SHOCK HIM with, as part of the good 'ol "one-two" combination (i.e. left jab-straight right hand), a powerful, devastating straight right hand on the button.

Depending on your level of expertise and experience, if you're a newbie to the sport, I would concentrate and perfect the "normal" jab first and foremost before playing around with the "flicker" jab and other variants.

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It should be noted that many amateur judges are not impressed by the flicker jab and often don't score it as the scoring part of the glove doesn't land flush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A downside to it,is your so loose when you throw it,you run a risk of hurting your wrist
    A plus side,if a guys pawing with his jab to find range,and you quick flick a jab out you can screw up the whole thing he's trying to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never used a flicker jab, I can't get the speed down properly. I've always wanted to learn that since I saw Mashiba do it on ep 9 of Hajime no Ippo, it looks awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    If I understand correctly...There is no point in a flicker jab, or in a jab just to tapyour foe's right hand. Consder what you are giving away. He can know judge your reach and time your hand speed. These are things you need to learn about him, not give away about yourself.
    Even if you don't score points or do damage with it, 'giving away' something may actually be an advantage (beyond irritating the opponent or throwing off their rythm). Since a flicker is so quick and you can extend your arm out pretty far, it'd make you seem faster and having a longer reach than your more powerful punches really have. In that case, he might overestimate your reach and speed, which might keep him off your back if he has advantages over you in those right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    A downside to it,is your so loose when you throw it,you run a risk of hurting your wrist
    Yeah that thing is definately set up to just whip at the guy. If you were to hit wrong, like if he was stepping into it or something, you might end up hurting your hand more than him. Since the muscles are pretty relaxed for speed and stuff, are there ways of toughening the hand to avoid getting hurt doing that? Like to toughen the ligaments or something?

I always figured doing heavy pulling (chin/deadlift) would strengthen wrist ligaments since it holds the bones together, not sure.
    Last edited by tyciol; 07-05-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Check out Shane Mosely at Lighweight.

While he's moving feinting or defending he's flicking the left hand out there constantly.

But come the time that he wants to lay down some offense he's pumping it straight.

The flicker jab is only for putting on a show.

Thread Information