Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets Intelligently BreakDown The Potential Calzaghe VS Jones jr Fight.......

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lets Intelligently BreakDown The Potential Calzaghe VS Jones jr Fight.......

We have fragmented opinions littered across a myriad of threads not related to this fight,so I figured it's split between the people who think Jones can suck it up for one last showstopper, opposed to the ones who feel Calzaghe is a buzzsaw that will send packing once and for all..

I think this is a good place to discuss this INTELLIGENTLY!!!(Opposed to just writing "Calzaghe will KTFO Jones")

If you feel your man will prevail tell us How and Why....What gives one fighters advantage over the other... Hopefully this will stimulate some good conversation and analyisis..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lets Intelligently BreakDown The Potential Calzaghe VS Jones jr Fight.......

Calzaghe runs across the ring tags Jones, hurts Jones, Jones make an immediate adjustments takes no chances , and pot shots himself to a somewhat boring 12 un decision. IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lets Intelligently BreakDown The Potential Calzaghe VS Jones jr Fight.......

2 weeks ago i would have said calzaghe to win by ud but after the ajuma fight i think jones will win...rjj got know credit for how good he was in that fight...he now knows that he isnt the fastest on the planet now and adapted his style...calzaghe will struggle and lose in a boring fight were jones does his business well but not entertainingly

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Shaw
    2 weeks ago i would have said calzaghe to win by ud but after the ajuma fight i think jones will win...rjj got know credit for how good he was in that fight...he now knows that he isnt the fastest on the planet now and adapted his style...calzaghe will struggle and lose in a boring fight were jones does his business well but not entertainingly
    I don't think so, Ajamu was pushing him around the ring at will in the early stages of the fight until he got outboxed and seemingly gave up.

Calzaghe would just dominate him for 6 or 7 rounds until Roy lay twitching on the canvas again.

No way Roy even goes 12 rounds with Calzaghe let alone wins this fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I look forward to the downfall of Joe Calzaghe. However, from what we've seen of Jones Jr, he has zippy chance of being the one to do it. Roy looks haggard and worn out these days. Not only has his skills declined but he looks tired. What he used to do effortlessly seemes to take all of his concentration to pull off. He's not beating anyone great ever again.

Calzaghe on the other hand is fresh and beaming with confidence. Joe humiliated Lacy. Calzaghe would stalk Jones down and erase what is left of his glory. As hard as I try I can't picture it any other way.

If Jones would happen to win it would be a boring points victory that proved nothing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy's lack of punch output, and more importantly his tendency to back up against the ropes and do nothing but cover up makes me think that Calzaghe would win in pretty easy fashion. I could see Roy looking good at times but for large parts of the fight being backed up against the ropes and Calzaghe throwing combinations while Roy just covers up.

Its not so much Roy's handspeed dropping off, he's still fast, its like he knows his legs aren't really as strong as they used to be. He spends too much time on the ropes, and not enough time in the center of the ring. And he's not throwing enough punches, even if he made Calzaghe miss a lot I still don't think he would be active enough to win a decision. A win by stoppage would be the most likely way of winning for Roy and I just don't see that happening, I see a Calzaghe decision or maybe stoppage as much more likely against this version of Roy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Jones can and will rise to the occassion on this one I feel he is still to elusive for most I mean will Joe try to walk Jones down? Then he gets potshotted and eats right hands..Roy still has the faster hands..I noticed something against the prince that no one else commented on, Roy was pretty active in the fight and despite Prince Mauling jones and leaning on him most of the fight, Roy looked fresh to the end.. You cant question Roys heart in the 1st Tarver fight despite being drained and lifeless he pulled out that fight cause he pushed forward and won the Championship rounds cause he wanted it more..

Joe is fast himself,and shows you different angles and has a damn good punch output at the end of the day with good stamina..How accurate he will be remains to be seen but you know the old adage "IF YOU THROW ENOUGH S*** AGAINST THE WALL IT WILL STICK" so those punches are gonna land..

To me its almost a Pickem fight and if I say clear cut Roy it is probably cause I am feeling nostalgic
    but this fight will by no means be a Whitewash in either direction this will be a hard fought victory for either of the guys...Is Joe gonna be complacent after how he took it Lacy or is he gonna take ROy serious and not damaged goods? What Roy will show up, focused and hungry? or content to survive with a great like Joe...

I hope it go's down...But it's any ones fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I look forward to the downfall of Joe Calzaghe. However, from what we've seen of Jones Jr, he has zippy chance of being the one to do it. Roy looks haggard and worn out these days. Not only has his skills declined but he looks tired. What he used to do effortlessly seemes to take all of his concentration to pull off. He's not beating anyone great ever again.

Calzaghe on the other hand is fresh and beaming with confidence. Joe humiliated Lacy. Calzaghe would stalk Jones down and erase what is left of his glory. As hard as I try I can't picture it any other way.

If Jones would happen to win it would be a boring points victory that proved nothing.
    Unfortunately for Joe he is injured again, and as what happened frequenly injuries seem to derail his momentum so if Joe gets back in the ring Nov-Dec that beating that he dished out last Mar loses luster.

Since when does a Victory over a great fighter not prove anything A win against a undefeated 8 yr champion with 18 title defenses is no small victory my friend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jtrock
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla

Unfortunately for Joe he is injured again, and as what happened frequenly injuries seem to derail his momentum so if Joe gets back in the ring Nov-Dec that beating that he dished out last Mar loses luster.

Since when does a Victory over a great fighter not prove anything A win against a undefeated 8 yr champion with 18 title defenses is no small victory my friend

I Agree, That flogging Calzaghe gave Lacy boosted Joe's value. It would be a very good win for Jones !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

calzaghe lands a 5 punch combo at the start, jones runs all night
    I'm the real pretty boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My feelings are its more than likely Calzaghe will win this one, but Roy JOnes Jr. has a chance because of a few things... 1) Calzaghe will not be able to throw his high number of punches against Roy because of Roy's footwork and elusiveness. 2) Calzaghe can be a pressure fighter, but he's always done it as a counter puncher or overwhelming his opponent with speed and numbers, I don't think he will be overwhelmed by Roy Jones Jr.'s speed, and like I said earlier I see it hard for anyone being able to punches in bunches vs. Roy Jones Jr. who is also a better counter puncher than Calzaghe. 3) Opening up: The most important key to Roy Jones Jr. winning this fight is how he's won almost every fight and thats overwhelming speed, and actually throwing punches. Roy Jones Jr. won't win if he is gunshy like he was against Tarver in their third fight. 4) Battle of the cross: I think Roy Jones if he lets it go will be landing straight rights all night vs. Calzaghe. On the other hand I can't see Calzaghe hitting Roy flush with a cross unless they were against the ropes which will happen.

I have a hard time seeing Roy win despite these ingredients I believe he has to win because Calzaghe is a determined fighter who is much better than Glen Johnson or Tarver, but I think his style better suits Roy than those two who can just walk forward through what RJJ threw if need be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to all of you who took the time out to respond so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its clear for me to see, Calzaghe will walk on RJJ. Prince Onion Baji was shocking, he blew his load after looking like stopping RJJ, which he would have done had he not gassed after 3mins. RJJ no longer has the legs to outbox anyone with Calzaghe's stamina levels over 12 rounds, he is still fast but not as fast as Joe, and Joe has a much better chin....this one ends in around 9 with RJJ bowing out of boxing with his head down, rather than bowing out now, like he should do, with a win.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If this fight happens, it happens at 175. Calzaghe is no power puncher at 168, at 175 he'll be even less. Jones beats Calzaghe similiar to the way he beat Reggie Johnson. And I'll take any bet on it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw_outlaw
    Its clear for me to see, Calzaghe will walk on RJJ. Prince Onion Baji was shocking, he blew his load after looking like stopping RJJ, which he would have done had he not gassed after 3mins. RJJ no longer has the legs to outbox anyone with Calzaghe's stamina levels over 12 rounds, he is still fast but not as fast as Joe, and Joe has a much better chin....this one ends in around 9 with RJJ bowing out of boxing with his head down, rather than bowing out now, like he should do, with a win.
    I agree with what your saying. But I feel Jones would go into survival mode & run til the final bell. I think if this fight was made a few years ago Jones would have put a clinic on Calzaghe, but nowadays his chin is shot, his legs are gone. He looked good against Ajamu, but Ajamu was nothing special... a journeyman at best.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Thread Information