Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it necessary for Trinidad to retire? Or were the fans a bit harsh?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Was it necessary for Trinidad to retire? Or were the fans a bit harsh?

I don't know what is it about many boxing fans that whenever a boxer looses they go "Oh, he should retire". Take for example Sugar Shane Mosley. When he lost twice to Vernon Forrest I could hear that he was done, he should retire, etc. But look at him now. Sure, boxers age and are not the same as they were a few years back but still Mosley has shown he is still competitive out there and is now setting his eyes on Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Now when it comes Trinidad, well, sure, Wright did his homework and even though he didn't really punish Trinidad he fought a smart defensive fight that earned him enough points to win a nice decision. Lots of people commented on him retiring and being finished but I don't think its that bad. I can still see Trinidad being competitive. He can still pack a punch!

Chino

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was it necessary for Trinidad to retire? Or were the fans a bit harsh?

Wright didn't fight "a smart, defensive fight" that allowed him to get "enough points" for a win. He thoroughly dominated and humiliated Tito, landed about a billion jabs flush, and won ever round by a landslide.

Tito was slippin since getting beat up by Hopkins. It's best he's retired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was it necessary for Trinidad to retire? Or were the fans a bit harsh?

Chino,

Let it go brother. Trinidad doesn't want it anymore. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved Tito but I think he made a mistake moving up in weight in the first place. He wasn't ready for those big boys and look how he is missing out now,he could still be around and be a big player at 147 He would KTFO most of the guys there now!! I tell you something,I was SO surprised during the Winky fight,I am a big Winky fan but I thought Tito was going to give him a good ole thrashing,boy was I wrong!!

A sitting target plus Tito's absolutely banging banging power equals KO usually,didn't that night! I don't understand why he did not let his hands go more!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just think the Wright fight was the wrong fight stylistically for Tito after so long away .

The war with Mayorga was no prep for a slickster and I think Oscar realised this when he pulled out of his September date with Floyd .

If Tito were to come back , i wouldnt write him off cuz he can bang and shows heart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito still had the skills and the natural given power after he lost to b-hop, but i feel like he didn't have it in him to dominate any more, i mean he fought another fight , retired, came back and i was so glad he beat mayorga because it was a brilliant fight, but winky had the plan down, i jus think its best he retired after two losses, its fair n he already had a great career,but he was too proud to suffer any more defeats.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's usually the announcers that suggest retirement once someone loses. I don't think that Tito was past it, just not as hungry anymore. He could definitely be competetive still, but why if you don't need the money, and your not really into it.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame
    It's usually the announcers that suggest retirement once someone loses. I don't think that Tito was past it, just not as hungry anymore. He could definitely be competetive still, but why if you don't need the money, and your not really into it.
    ye i feel you man , but its like he waqs hungry to go out on a win and on a high, and if he hada beaten winky he would have got a title shot cos it was a title eliminator! but like lennox lewis said, i dont feel i need to go back to boxing becuase i retired on top, undisputed, and so i dont have that hunger, never enjoyed watching lennox but i respect him for his whit!
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Phenomena
    I loved Tito but I think he made a mistake moving up in weight in the first place. He wasn't ready for those big boys and look how he is missing out now,he could still be around and be a big player at 147 He would KTFO most of the guys there now!! I tell you something,I was SO surprised during the Winky fight,I am a big Winky fan but I thought Tito was going to give him a good ole thrashing,boy was I wrong!!

A sitting target plus Tito's absolutely banging banging power equals KO usually,didn't that night! I don't understand why he did not let his hands go more!
    Trinidad was one dimension, going forward and if you were a boxer(we aren't talking about a shot Pernell Whitaker) and not a risk taker he struggled to a degree, he never fixed any of his weaknesses and got beaten the same way twice by two boxers who weren't risk takers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

please don't diss Tito, he was an ultimate showman, he was so exciting to watch, fearless, determined and is an all time great IMO. But he should keep those gloves hung up.
    And being one dimensional isn't always a bad thing.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I keep reading this one dimensional crap and always reply with same. For a guy been onedimensional as some of you say. he kick everybody's but from 154 down and some 160 fighters.
    So I don't give a damn of what you say been clear as water that you are just a TITO hater, HE was the MAN the champ the real feared guy (hehe skinny baby face) who destroyed prime VArgas and others yes Bhop beat him and it took 12 rounds, a push and his dad to stop the fight.

In the local papers here in PR there was an article of him enjoing life with his family with around $90 mil ,young and good health and doesn't give a crap of what ever you said.

AAANNNNDDDD HE he will be a Hall of Famer

edited:

Sad clicks are welcome as always
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shza,
    The thing is that Wright is not known for his punching power so that is what I tried to say . The guy connected his jabs and did his homework to lead him to a nice victory.

People said exactly the same about Mosley when he lost against Forrest...TWICE! And now look at him. Now people talk about his next fight, maybe facing Mayweather, blah blah blah. People can come back after a loss, that's all.

Its not just Trinidad, I am just saying that when someone losses most of the time we are quick to say "Oh, he should retire" when maybe they still have something left.

Cheers!

Chino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Puya
    I keep reading this one dimensional crap and always reply with same. For a guy been onedimensional as some of you say. he kick everybody's but from 154 down and some 160 fighters.
    I thought he lost to Oscar at 47

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He may very well have been 1 dimensional but he mastered that dimension to such a degree that he was still able to KO everyone/almost everyone. Yeah Oscar may have been wining,but open the record books and it'll say Tito won! Oscar got hurt somewhere,became apprehensive and ran like a bitch for the rest of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Puya
    So I don't give a damn of what you say been clear as water that you are just a TITO hater, HE was the MAN the champ the real feared guy (hehe skinny baby face) who destroyed prime VArgas and others yes Bhop beat him and it took 12 rounds, a push and his dad to stop the fight.

In the local papers here in PR there was an article of him enjoing life with his family with around $90 mil ,young and good health and doesn't give a crap of what ever you said.

AAANNNNDDDD HE he will be a Hall of Famer

edited:

Sad clicks are welcome as always
    Cool Click in 24 brother!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Phenomena
    He may very well have been 1 dimensional but he mastered that dimension to such a degree that he was still able to KO everyone/almost everyone. Yeah Oscar may have been wining,but open the record books and it'll say Tito won! Oscar got hurt somewhere,became apprehensive and ran like a bitch for the rest of the fight.
    Yea I don't think that he would have listened to his corner if it hadn't been fro the left hook to the body Trinidad hit him with. I do think Trinidad would have never lost if he had defense a jab and better head movement and the ability to fight going backwards.

Thread Information