Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should Boxing Have 5 Judges Instead of Just 3?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Should Boxing Have 5 Judges Instead of Just 3?

Let me explain why I think this would almost completely eliminate bullsh!t decisions. Because since all 3 judges sit on different sides of the ring, and see the fight from different angles, you could get a more complete assessment from having a 4th angle with a 4th judge, and since you don't want an even number of judges since that could lead to alot of draws, they could put a 5th judge up in a booth who watches the fight on a tv, as we see it (minus the commentary of course). That way, a judge who scores a fight ridiculously like the judge who scored Leonard-Hagler 10 rounds to 2 in favor of Leonard would have to have another judge from a different angle agree with him to make his score card meaningful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should Boxing Have 5 Judges Instead of Just 3?

Good idea mate.....Very interesting ive never thought of it before. Would take forever to read out a Split Decision however

ICB Guest

i hate it when people get robbed but sometimes i like bit of controversy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So 5 guys get paid, instead of 3. Same thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    So 5 guys get paid, instead of 3. Same thing
    I'm not talking about corruption, because obviously there's nothing that can be done about that, but there's two kinds of bogus decisions: the one's where judges are paid off and the one's where judges completely miss the mark. I just think this way would greatly cut down on the second kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skyler
    Let me explain why I think this would almost completely eliminate bullsh!t decisions. Because since all 3 judges sit on different sides of the ring, and see the fight from different angles, you could get a more complete assessment from having a 4th angle with a 4th judge, and since you don't want an even number of judges since that could lead to alot of draws, they could put a 5th judge up in a booth who watches the fight on a tv, as we see it (minus the commentary of course). That way, a judge who scores a fight ridiculously like the judge who scored Leonard-Hagler 10 rounds to 2 in favor of Leonard would have to have another judge from a different angle agree with him to make his score card meaningful.

Very True...It is hard to see everything from the angles you are given. Maybe not 5 but 4 and bring back the referee as a judge also....I also thought once thats maybe judges should change sides every 4rds in championship fights......Believe me from sitting at ringside watchingfights inside the ring barrier at times can be tough to see everything the judges get a stool thats higher than the chairs we get when covering a fight but you still miss things.....Be suprised how of
    en the ropes are in your way of a good shot
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IT seems lie a good idea, especially for the big fights, but I guess it's up to the governing bodies to have a look at it and bring that in. Good post, and cc, but the bullshit decisions and controversy are often good for making rematches...and very good for promoters' pocketses.

Thread Information