Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WBC approves Toney/Peter rematch.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default WBC approves Toney/Peter rematch.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=8367&more=1

26.09.06 - From WBC President Jose Sulaiman: The WBC Board of Governors approved by a vote of 21 to 10 the immediate rematch between Samuel Peter and James Toney, after their first bout which Peter won by split decision on September 2 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The World Boxing Council has always supported the decisions made by its ring officials and it will continue to do so. This approval of a rematch in no way questions the decision of September 2. There were several reasons why the WBC made this decision.:

1. First, for having been an extremely close fight which divided the opinions of the media and fans. This rematch will clear the air and we will have an official undisputable challenger to our new champion Oleg Maskaev.

2. The WBC believes that at this moment there can not be a more interesting heavyweight fight than this rematch. There is a huge public demand for this rematch and it will be very good for the promoters, as well as the prestige and the importance of boxing in the world.

James Toney was No. 1 ranked official challenger and he had no need to fight anyone to gain the right to contend for the title. By choosing Samuel Peter, the highest rated boxer adopted a top-level sports decision and the WBC wishes that the official challenger be the winner of this rematch so nobody has doubts about it.

The World Boxing Council decided, however, that should a purse offer be necessary for this rematch, the purse will be divided 55 percent for Samuel Peter and 45 percent for James Toney.

Samuel Peter spoke with me about his respect for the decision made by the WBC; he also stated that even though he wants to fight for the title immediately, he will accept the rematch to show once again his merits to contend for the title.

The WBC invites all parties to kindly restrain from using a hard language in their public statements, since boxing is a sport for gentlemen and we all would like to keep it that way.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: WBC approves Toney/Peter rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff

26.09.06 - From WBC President Jose Sulaiman: The WBC Board of Governors approved by a vote of 21 to 10 the immediate rematch between Samuel Peter and James Toney, after their first bout which Peter won by split decision on September 2 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The World Boxing Council has always supported the decisions made by its ring officials and it will continue to do so. This approval of a rematch in no way questions the decision of September 2. There were several reasons why the WBC made this decision.:

1. First, for having been an extremely close fight which divided the opinions of the media and fans. This rematch will clear the air and we will have an official undisputable challenger to our new champion Oleg Maskaev.

2. The WBC believes that at this moment there can not be a more interesting heavyweight fight than this rematch. There is a huge public demand for this rematch and it will be very good for the promoters, as well as the prestige and the importance of boxing in the world.

James Toney was No. 1 ranked official challenger and he had no need to fight anyone to gain the right to contend for the title. By choosing Samuel Peter, the highest rated boxer adopted a top-level sports decision and the WBC wishes that the official challenger be the winner of this rematch so nobody has doubts about it.

The World Boxing Council decided, however, that should a purse offer be necessary for this rematch, the purse will be divided 55 percent for Samuel Peter and 45 percent for James Toney.

Samuel Peter spoke with me about his respect for the decision made by the WBC; he also stated that even though he wants to fight for the title immediately, he will accept the rematch to show once again his merits to contend for the title.

The WBC invites all parties to kindly restrain from using a hard language in their public statements, since boxing is a sport for gentlemen and we all would like to keep it that way.
    Are you serious? ? ?
    To be honest I don't see it much different then the 1st time around. Now I really think Peter can beat Toney.
    1) Agreed.
    2) Disagree. Wladdy-Brock, Lyakhovich-Maskaev, Valuev-Wladdy, Peter-Skelton I can go on and on.

I can $ee why the WBC wold wan't this, it better not be PPV.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kind of makes a mockery of the original judges decisions but I'm glad the fight is taking place.

However I don't see what else Toney can do to beat Peter. In my mind and others he beat Peter convincingly the first time around, if he fights him again the best that can realistically happen for Toney is for a repeat performance.

But if the judges didn't like the way he fought the first time I don't see it being any different the next time around.

In my opinion this could end up with a double loss for Toney similar to Hopkins against Tarver.

Hope I'm wrong though as I love Light's Out and still believe he has the talent to beat any of today's heavies.

Unfortunately without the power he relies on outslicking his opponents, slipping punches and replying with his trademark right hand counter.

This style is hard to score it seems for judges ringside who don't appreciate the art so think he will struggle in every fight at heavyweight from now on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

According to Toney he's already been back in the gym and has a movie role with Denzel Washington coming up and that he will weigh EVEN LESS in his next fight. If that's against Peter then Toney is going to outbox him. I see Duva ducking this and saying "We dont need the WBC ranking.. THE PEOPLE know who the number one contender is.: or some BS like that
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK

Are you serious? ? ?
    To be honest I don't see it much different then the 1st time around. Now I really think Peter can beat Toney.
    1) Agreed.
    2) Disagree. Wladdy-Brock, Lyakhovich-Maskaev, Valuev-Wladdy, Peter-Skelton I can go on and on.

you and i both know damn well that its gonna be though, and i know that im gonna end up buying it against my better judgement.

imo, toney won the first, but this time around im looking for peter to come in a lot lighter and he wins this one convincingly

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK

Are you serious? ? ?
    1) Agreed.

you and i both know damn well that its gonna be though, and i know that im gonna end up buying it against my better judgement.

imo, toney won the first, but this time around im looking for peter to come in a lot lighter and he wins this one convincingly
    You & I both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    According to Toney he's already been back in the gym and has a movie role with Denzel Washington coming up and that he will weigh EVEN LESS in his next fight. If that's against Peter then Toney is going to outbox him. I see Duva ducking this and saying "We dont need the WBC ranking.. THE PEOPLE know who the number one contender is.: or some BS like that
    I hope Duva does just that.

I'm never playing as James Toney in fight night ever again. EVER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I hope Duva does just that.
    cc

F those corupt alphabet gangs. Rember back in the early 90's, HBO would not even show or mention the WBO title, even if it was on the line. HBO, Showtime, and ESPN need to do that for all the alphabet trinkets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Toney eeks by a decision, how would that make him the official undisputable challenger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm so Flipping Happy they decided to make it a mandatory rematch. Because I feal Toney is going to come into this fight in really good shape. He hired a nutritionist and everything so He's looking to make a statement this time around. If Toney comes in around 220 I can honestly see him maybe even knocking out peter out, And by that I don't mean by power but if he's moving around all night and making people chase him peters going to get tired then all Toney has to do is open up on him. Man I can't wait for this fight. I wonder what the dates is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as it goes against tradition....Toney deserves a rematch. The judges were out to lunch last time. This time they should have punchstat.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney won the first fight, at least 75 percent of the boxing public seems to agree with that, so a rematch is not surprising. Especially with Maskaev fighting some journeyman.

And for a heavyweight fight, it was a pretty good fight. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it on PPV, some people bought Rahman-Barrett FFS.

I do agree with Bilbo, I could see this being a case of where Peter gets another "win" because judges more and more seem to care only about agressiveness, not effective agressiveness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Kind of makes a mockery of the original judges decisions but I'm glad the fight is taking place.

However I don't see what else Toney can do to beat Peter. In my mind and others he beat Peter convincingly the first time around, if he fights him again the best that can realistically happen for Toney is for a repeat performance.

But if the judges didn't like the way he fought the first time I don't see it being any different the next time around.

In my opinion this could end up with a double loss for Toney similar to Hopkins against Tarver.

Hope I'm wrong though as I love Light's Out and still believe he has the talent to beat any of today's heavies.

Unfortunately without the power he relies on outslicking his opponents, slipping punches and replying with his trademark right hand counter.

This style is hard to score it seems for judges ringside who don't appreciate the art so think he will struggle in every fight at heavyweight from now on.
    all these fokin rematches ! boring***** boring*****boring ! this is becoming a real problem in boxing.. I can't stand rematches, especially immediate rematches ! Yuck ! such B.S. I think there is a lot of chain pulling going on in boxing with all these rematches..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only reason this fight is happening is money . The WBC knows that there will more money in a Maskaev vs. Holyfield( you heard it here first . Sometime next year should Holy beat Oquendo) ) and they are holdng off Peter as long as they can . Maskaev and co. know that a Peter fight ends ina KO loss for them . Plain and simple.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    According to Toney he's already been back in the gym and has a movie role with Denzel Washington coming up
    LOL! He better re-learn how to enunciate. I haven't been able to understand half of what's coming out of his mouth for a while now.

Thread Information