Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The Ring Magazine & the awards that they give out yearly.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Ring Magazine & the awards that they give out yearly.

So the other day like most of you & myself was left with no Saddoboxing for about 1 whole day that I know of. I did my laundry cleaned up my home, re-organized my shirts from lightest to darkest & from solids to designs from left to right in my closet. Once I did all that I decided to flip open some books & magazines and read.

I read Sports Illustraded:GREATEST RIVALRIES (only the boxing sections ) and I wen't through a hand full of The Ring Mag., Worl Boxing and others. I then moved on to my Ring Almanacs that I have and started looking into things and heres 3 things that caught my eye that I'd like to see/read what your opinions are.

1994 - The Ring Magazines Upset of the year was given to Vuyani Bungu over Kennedy McKinney. At the time Bungu was 23-2 while McKinney was 27-0-1 and the reigning IBF Super Bantamweight Champ he had defeated Ncita, Duran, Zavala & Salud to establish himself as the best Super Bantam around. Bungu was coming off 2 loses one of those loses was to the then undefeated future Champ Freddie Norwood the other loss he would avenge it a few months later, being only a champ in South Africa.

I was going through some sources and came up with this fight that I think should have been 'Upset of the Year 1994'

Steve Little over Michael Nunn. At the time Little was 21-13-2 while Nunn was 42-1 and the reigning WBA Super Middleweight Champ he had defeated Tate, Kalambay, Barkley, Curry, Cordoba & Morgan. His only defeat was to James Toney at his best. Little was coming back from being off for a little over a year. In his last 11 fights he was 5-5-1. loosing back to back to Terry Norris, Dave Hilton & John David Jackson. His best win on his record prior to this fight was sadly a win over Pipino Cuevas who was WAAAAAAAYYY past his best days. Though this was a close fight the fact of the matter is that no one gave Little a chance in hell that he would walk out victorious from this fight and he did.

My thing is how did thy determine that the Bungu win was a bigger upset over the Little win. If you ask me Little takes this one for upset of the year. I have 2 more things to dish out but it's getting late here so I'll add the other 2 tommorrow.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Ring Magazine & the awards that they give out yearly.

OK..... I see my 1st post was very popular.....
    fwuckers!!!

Any who...

2002 - The ring Magazines Upset of the year was given to Juan C. Rubio over Francisco Bojado. At the time Rubio was 27-6-2 while Bojado was 9-0 and having won the WBC Youth Light Welterweight title beating Contreras and Lucero. He was a very much talked about 'prospect' and great things were expecte of him. Rubio was coming off 2 losses one of those loses was to someone he had beaten earlier in his career. He had picked up the IBA Americas Welterwieght title and his best win on his record prior to this fight was over Zavala who was 24-5-2. He had experience and ring tactics over Bojado. (title)

So like the previous fight I started doing dome research and found this fight.

Juan Valenzuela over Julio Diaz. At the time Valenzuela was 14-4 while Diaz was 24-1 having only lost to Angel Manfredy in a IBF eliminator bout. That fight was won by Manfredy due to the point deduction Diaz was given for low blows. With victories over Sencion for a NABA title, Esalas nothing major but he had fought very good opposition up until this fight and was already a contender. Valenzuela was coming off a loss and his best win prior to this fight was over Damian Fuller who was 13-1, he also lost a dec. to Quinonez for the WBC Fecarbox Lighweight title.

I think this win from Valenzuela over 'The Kid' Diaz was a much bigger upset as far as boxing goes, There was no reason why Valenzuela should have KO'ed Diaz in 1 rd. it was a total upset. Bojado had just 9 wins and despite ALL the hype WE (when I say we please note I include myself) created about him this fight should not be the upset of the year. Rubio is tough and rugged even after they fought the second time Rubio was still there trading with Bojado.

(God I can't wait to see what Starr has to say about this )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how the awards end up going to fights that have been publicized more than others. I'm pretty sure that someone could find a scrappy 10 round fight somewhere else in the world that could compete with one of the Morales Barrera or Gatti Ward trilogy wars for Fight of the year. But those were more publicised and more people watched them hence giving them more recognition. It's totally understandable though because people would dispute it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Must admit I've never seen any of these fights so can't comment, I expect thats the same with many posters on here.

To be honest though this kind of statto analysis is slightly disturbing. The only time it's acceptable to read through old fight records etc in magazine form is when you are on the toilet, if you find yourself reading these old mags at any other time I would suggest you try and stop yourself from doing it.

The worst case scenario if you don't is that you could end up like Britkid and be unable to make normal conversation any more. You will feel compelled to add some kind of statistic or 'interesting' anecdote to every sentence, it's a dangerous road my friend.

The only cure might be to become a drunkard like Wacko, then you won't care!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Must admit I've never seen any of these fights so can't comment, I expect thats the same with many posters on here.

To be honest though this kind of statto analysis is slightly disturbing. The only time it's acceptable to read through old fight records etc in magazine form is when you are on the toilet, if you find yourself reading these old mags at any other time I would suggest you try and stop yourself from doing it.

The worst case scenario if you don't is that you could end up like Britkid and be unable to make normal conversation any more. You will feel compelled to add some kind of statistic or 'interesting' anecdote to every sentence, it's a dangerous road my friend.

The only cure might be to become a drunkard like Wacko, then you won't care!
    So what your saying is I should 'lock' this thread up

Nah!! I pretty much had a rough feeling that it was gonna turn out this way.... Guess I should have just titled this thread 'For Britkid ONLY'
    About the reading, I tried it that day not really sure why cause I could have gotten on the net or something but I just wasn't up for it. Once I closed the mag. and the books up I actually did feel just a little wiser as far as my boxing knwoledge goes.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker
    Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how the awards end up going to fights that have been publicized more than others. I'm pretty sure that someone could find a scrappy 10 round fight somewhere else in the world that could compete with one of the Morales Barrera or Gatti Ward trilogy wars for Fight of the year. But those were more publicised and more people watched them hence giving them more recognition. It's totally understandable though because people would dispute it.
    I see what you mean.
    CC. for your reply.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    So the other day like most of you & myself was left with no Saddoboxing for about 1 whole day that I know of. I did my laundry cleaned up my home, re-organized my shirts from lightest to darkest & from solids to designs from left to right in my closet. Once I did all that I decided to flip open some books & magazines and read.

I read Sports Illustraded:GREATEST RIVALRIES (only the boxing sections ) and I wen't through a hand full of The Ring Mag., Worl Boxing and others. I then moved on to my Ring Almanacs that I have and started looking into things and heres 3 things that caught my eye that I'd like to see/read what your opinions are.

1994 - The Ring Magazines Upset of the year was given to Vuyani Bungu over Kennedy McKinney. At the time Bungu was 23-2 while McKinney was 27-0-1 and the reigning IBF Super Bantamweight Champ he had defeated Ncita, Duran, Zavala & Salud to establish himself as the best Super Bantam around. Bungu was coming off 2 loses one of those loses was to the then undefeated future Champ Freddie Norwood the other loss he would avenge it a few months later, being only a champ in South Africa.

I was going through some sources and came up with this fight that I think should have been 'Upset of the Year 1994'

Steve Little over Michael Nunn. At the time Little was 21-13-2 while Nunn was 42-1 and the reigning WBA Super Middleweight Champ he had defeated Tate, Kalambay, Barkley, Curry, Cordoba & Morgan. His only defeat was to James Toney at his best. Little was coming back from being off for a little over a year. In his last 11 fights he was 5-5-1. loosing back to back to Terry Norris, Dave Hilton & John David Jackson. His best win on his record prior to this fight was sadly a win over Pipino Cuevas who was WAAAAAAAYYY past his best days. Though this was a close fight the fact of the matter is that no one gave Little a chance in hell that he would walk out victorious from this fight and he did.

My thing is how did thy determine that the Bungu win was a bigger upset over the Little win. If you ask me Little takes this one for upset of the year. I have 2 more things to dish out but it's getting late here so I'll add the other 2 tommorrow.

This is an easy question to answer if you seen both fights. Vuyani Bungu not only beat Kennedy McKinney he pretty much dominated him. And at that time McKinney was consider close to being a top P4P fighter. The fact that Bungu was so unknown made it more shocking. Little beating Nunn was a surprise, but if you see the fight you'll see that Nunn in reality had done enough to win. He just didn't get the win. Not only that, Nunn had pretty much had been going through the motions ever since his lost to James Toney. He had only just been getting by. It was only a matter of time untill someone out worked him. And Little did.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK

This is an easy question to answer if you seen both fights. Vuyani Bungu not only beat Kennedy McKinney he pretty much dominated him. And at that time McKinney was consider close to being a top P4P fighter. The fact that Bungu was so unknown made it more shocking. Little beating Nunn was a surprise, but if you see the fight you'll see that Nunn in reality had done enough to win. He just didn't get the win. Not only that, Nunn had pretty much had been going through the motions ever since his lost to James Toney. He had only just been getting by. It was only a matter of time untill someone out worked him. And Little did.
    I see your points, Gues it's just me who sees it different.
    CC. For your thoughts on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

intresting read. my problem is those fights were to long ago for me to recount exactly what transpired inside the ring. so i don't really have an opinion on all that.. but a good read tho.

Thread Information