Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default running vs skipping

what is better a 30 minute run or a 30 minute skip and you cant choose both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:running vs skipping

I'd have to say running, there is more movement involved, but that is just my opinion, someone with more knowledge would know which is best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about cycling or swimming, instead?

I've heard too many stories of people screwing up their knees by road running. I think someone on this forum even mentioned suffering from it.

Skipping helps with co-ordination and footwork, so that might be better. But 30 minutes of it?

Cycling, obviously, does not work the upper body, so you'd only be doing it to increase stamina / fitness.

It depends what you are trying to get out of this 30 minutes of exercise.

I would combine a number of cardio-vascular exercises, myself. Like I said, 30 minutes of skipping seems a little excessive! Maybe 5 x 3minute rounds, followed by something else to keep your hear-rate up.

Swimming can do so much for you. Think about treading water for 10minute rounds (using only legs, only arms, then both).

What about going into the deep-end so that you are emerged up to your neck, then throwing combinations? Or 100 jabs, 100 crosses, 100 hooks (each hand), 100 uppercuts (each hand), using the water's resistance to your benefit.

You can also easily swim lengths and get your heart-rate up for 20minutes, to help with cardio-vascular fitness.

What about swimming underwater for a length, surfacing, then doing it again?

Just some ideas gleaned from Combat magazine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skipping burns more calories and fat than any other aerobic exercise. Running is better for the stamina and building strong legs though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: running vs skipping

i was watching this video of some boxer skipping and he was doin' all this fancy shit, does anyone know how to do this or know where i could find out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what are shin splints and how do you get them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I skip my heart rate is at 150, if I jog its between 140 - 150 after a few minutes, up hills 160 and pushing more 170+

Skipping is constant, and if you can skip well (i cant) then its going to work you very, very hard. It also is tiring.

Swimming is brilliant. You want to be doing them all really. I skip and run in the mornings.
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do anaerobic for 3 to 4 mins. I get my heart rate up to 180 bpm and then after 3 mins i take a 1 min break. This allows me to build stamina for 3 min rounds of fighting and then to relax my body and lower my heart rate for 1 min in between rounds. Just like in the ring. Ill tell you, it advanced my cardio form other fighters. I dont have to worry about pacing myself as much.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Meunouk

Swimming is brilliant.
    One of the lads over at Hattons forum asked Matthew Ellis at an amateur show how he managed to punch so hard for so long without getting tired, he put it down to swimming widths under water, Ellis's pro career isnt anything to write home about but he was an exellent amateur and we all know the benifits of high output in amateur boxing.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by scottswald
    what are shin splints and how do you get them?
    Shin splints are caused by overuse, poor running, inadequate footwear. It is a pain below the knee and above the ankle caused by muscle damage (tibia).Â
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information