Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default protein Shakes

Now Im not talking about drinking twice your weight in grams of protein like some body builders I know, but how about just as a good source of protein say one or two shakes a day?
    " To beat me he will have to kill me and to do that he has to be willing to die himself "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: protein Shakes

Quote Originally Posted by boxman
    Now Im not talking about drinking twice your weight in grams of protein like some body builders I know, but how about just as a good source of protein say one or two shakes a day?
    i only ever have protien shakes after a workout... not intirely sure on how great they are.. but they keep me going and stop me from getting really hungry after a workout etc so it keeps me going till i get some food...
    wouldnt mind finding out what protien shakes are capable of thou..?
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Protein shakes are an excellent idea for anybody.
    Depending on your goals depends on how much you take. I have about 3 a day. Although i am looking to put on weight, i can actually lose fat while still having 3 a day.

You should always take one after a workout, to replenish what your muscles have lost during the workout.
    They stimulate muscle growth, help with muscle recovery and generally replenish the body.
    What are your eating habits like? What are your aims?

Protien is just something that is in everybodys diet. It isnt some mad chemical to be aware of. A higher protein intake can consequently lead to fat loss due to higher muscle mass, can obviously lead to muscle growth. It can stimulate metabolism boost, again leading to fat loss and aids muscle recovery.
    Shakes are just a quick and easy way to get a high dose into your blood quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoie
    Protein shakes are an excellent idea for anybody.
    Depending on your goals depends on how much you take. I have about 3 a day. Although i am looking to put on weight, i can actually lose fat while still having 3 a day.

You should always take one after a workout, to replenish what your muscles have lost during the workout.
    They stimulate muscle growth, help with muscle recovery and generally replenish the body.
    What are your eating habits like? What are your aims?

Protien is just something that is in everybodys diet. It isnt some mad chemical to be aware of. A higher protein intake can consequently lead to fat loss due to higher muscle mass, can obviously lead to muscle growth. It can stimulate metabolism boost, again leading to fat loss and aids muscle recovery.
    Shakes are just a quick and easy way to get a high dose into your blood quickly.
    thanks for info brother!! cc!
    i havnt for a while now but usually when im not skint and saving every penny i have protien shakes after a workout...
    the aims thing? im pretty happy with my size and heigh etc.. not too fussed about my wieght at the moment as im happy with bieng in any of the wieghts i am in or have been in.. about half a year ago i was welter.. then light middle then middle... now i think im prob at light middle right now..
    only thing i want fitness wise atm is to tone up a fair bit... got some puppy fat u know!.. the muscle is there but it has a thin layer of puppy fat :P lol
    another question you might be able to answer?.. medicine balls? when you work wit em you can obv feel em working really well, but can they tone your abdomen or do they just help them while you stick to sit ups to tone up? cos i hate sit ups.. i mean i do em here n there while trainin but not as often as i should cos i jus dont have the discipline to stick to them like i can with things like wieghts or skipping or even jogging etc!
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know what you mean, i also have that bloody puppy fat
    As for the abdomen...there are a number of things you can do to any muscle.
    Increase size, increase strength capacities and condition it (increase endurance)

For strength with not much size increase, use low reps with high weights. So using a weight you can only do say 3-8 reps of.
    For size, you need slightly more reps with slightly less weight. Anything from 8-15 can be used for size. Strength will also go up with size but not as quickly.
    As for endurance, high reps, low weight. EG situps, pushups stuff like that.

All toning is increasing muscle size so it is more visible outside the fat. So your looking for size. Weighted sit ups would be best. Hold a 20kg plate on your chest whilst doing sit ups. Holding a med ball above your head etc. Always looking for a weight you CANNOT do over 20 reps on, because then your moving into conditioning territory again.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know what you mean, i also have that bloody puppy fat
    As for the abdomen...there are a number of things you can do to any muscle.
    Increase size, increase strength capacities and condition it (increase endurance)

For strength with not much size increase, use low reps with high weights. So using a weight you can only do say 3-8 reps of.
    For size, you need slightly more reps with slightly less weight. Anything from 8-15 can be used for size. Strength will also go up with size but not as quickly.
    As for endurance, high reps, low weight. EG situps, pushups stuff like that.

All toning is increasing muscle size so it is more visible outside the fat. So your looking for size. Weighted sit ups would be best. Hold a 20kg plate on your chest whilst doing sit ups. Holding a med ball above your head etc. Always looking for a weight you CANNOT do over 20 reps on, because then your moving into conditioning territory again.

Hope that helps.
    Yeh beauty jam! cc in 24!
    will go for the sit ups with a medicine ball.. will prob be more managable then a certain wieght! lol
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look into Muscle Milk - they are a decent protein shake company, there product also contains fats, but when people hear the word fats they think they are going to put on mounds of weight - some fats are good for your body and will help you burn the stubborn fat around the gut so forth.

Cookies N' Cream is pimp juice for protein shakes - it even goes decent with water.

Alot of people use 2 or 3 shakes a day. Muscle Milk you can take 2 hours prior to a workout and it will put a good bit of protein and fat into your system to help you rebuild while ripping, and then you can take it after the workout to help regain energy and rebuild faster (add abit of REAL sugar to help it get into your system faster.) and for the 3rd shake some people take it before going to sleep to let the protein drip into your system while you sleep (mix with milk so it digest slow.) you can also mix the stuff with water to cut down on fat intake, tastes "OK" with water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DeanCorleone
    Look into Muscle Milk - they are a decent protein shake company, there product also contains fats, but when people hear the word fats they think they are going to put on mounds of weight - some fats are good for your body and will help you burn the stubborn fat around the gut so forth.

Cookies N' Cream is pimp juice for protein shakes - it even goes decent with water.

Alot of people use 2 or 3 shakes a day. Muscle Milk you can take 2 hours prior to a workout and it will put a good bit of protein and fat into your system to help you rebuild while ripping, and then you can take it after the workout to help regain energy and rebuild faster (add abit of REAL sugar to help it get into your system faster.) and for the 3rd shake some people take it before going to sleep to let the protein drip into your system while you sleep (mix with milk so it digest slow.) you can also mix the stuff with water to cut down on fat intake, tastes "OK" with water.

Lol thanks for the contribution!!
    lol ok with water.. you not kidding..
    i had a shake with water a cupple weeks ago and no shit i had to wash it down with actual water!! lol
    could have eaten it with a knife and fork! lol
    personally i always buy the pre made stuff in the bottle... stead of waiting around to make it or what have you.. i dont get so many a day etc cos i dont by the make it yourself stuff... just buy a bottle at one of the gyms i go to.. they must make a fortune on the stuff..
    lol peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ARK, dont take real sugar in with your protein shake.
    Protein shakes are DESIGNED to go into the body quickly. The type of protein used is a fast-realeasing protein in shakes. Meat, oils and so forth are slower releasing.
    Insulin is used to drive the protein to the muscles, so taking in sugar is going to use up a bit of that insulin to break it down.
    And taking one before bed wont "drip" into your system, like i said they are fast-release, no matter what its diluted with. If you want a progressive protein before bed take in flaxseed oil tablets or grounded flaxseed. Its the slowest releasing protein out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jam,

I might be fighting in a little over a month, and I need to lose 11 more pounds. Should I bother taking protein? As far as diet... fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, more fruit for dinner... mostly. occasionally will have tuna or all natural peanut butter w/ all fruit jelly on whole wheat sandwiches.

I agree bodyhead, it doesnt taste very good at all. get yourself a good shaker, that's the way to go. a good shaker will break up those unappatizing little clumps. even if you're only having one a day, those pre-made bottled deals are indeed a rip-off. cheaper to make your own in the long run, a big canister of decent stuff is like 30 bucks and it'll last forever.

www.dpsnutrition.com

forget gnc or healthfood stores, dps gots it cheap and has a wide selection of protein supplements. check em out, and no I dont work for them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

11 pounds! bit of a jump aint it?

Anyways, yeah id take one. Theyre great for sustaining muscle while eating low fat diets.
    One a day wouldnt hurt. Try and minimize the peanut butter aswell. Although its all natural, its a very good bulking tool used by bodybuilders, not a very slimming thing.

Right, try to eat 5 small meals a day. Things like lean chicken and salad, turkey. Meats that are high in protein but low in fat. Potatoes are good for energy levels....sweet potatoes are even better.
    The 5 meal thing is keeping your metabolism going, constantly burning food down. And ALWAYS eat breakfast.
    Good luck mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good ratio of carbs to protein in a high protein diet is 4:1 - i.e. 2grams of carbs to 0.5grams of protein per kg of bodyweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

11 pounds! bit of a jump aint it?

Anyways, yeah id take one. Theyre great for sustaining muscle while eating low fat diets.
    One a day wouldnt hurt. Try and minimize the peanut butter aswell. Although its all natural, its a very good bulking tool used by bodybuilders, not a very slimming thing.

Right, try to eat 5 small meals a day. Things like lean chicken and salad, turkey. Meats that are high in protein but low in fat. Potatoes are good for energy levels....sweet potatoes are even better.
    The 5 meal thing is keeping your metabolism going, constantly burning food down. And ALWAYS eat breakfast.
    Good luck mate.
    bah, aint no thang. I've lost 61 now since last winter. I just found out at the gym tonight that the fight date was pushed back to Dec. 2, so Im confident.

thanks for the help and I'll cc you once I get the chance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alot of heavy bulkers put sugar into their protein shake... its proven that sugar enters the system fast as hell, and whatever is in the stomach with it also gets digested faster. Cottage cheese also digests slower and can 'drip' into your system or trickle if you'd rather. Muscle Milk only has around 6G of sugar per out of 75Gs of product total (2 scoops), abit more will MAKE it enter your system faster its glucose, and we all know that thats energy that is draged RIGHT to the muscles off the bat... now if you've got protein getting drag'd along with it its simply faster. You can use other methods to get protein into your system faster... your body trying to gain protein from meat so forth is abit slower - but even once a protein shake is in your system, sugar speeds up the process - so I'm told.

Either way worry about taking something before bed, very imporant. Muscle Milk also has instructions on the back of it "PRIOR TO BEDTIME"... check out bodybuilding.com if your worried about the sugar deal, I'm not saying add mounds and mounds of sugar... I don't do it myself but alot of fellas that weigth over 220lbs of muscle do, they must do it for some reason...

Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aye, but as boxers we need as much LEAN MASS as we can find. A protein shake (unless pure protein) has enough in it to inject the protein to where it wants to go (aslong as your eating right)
    Bodybuilders use a lot of techniques that boxers definately shouldnt. This being that bodybuilders aim is to gain weight, and as quick as possible. A lot of the side effects of this being detrimental to boxing.

Your probably right about the muscle milk, ive never seen the stuff. But an average protein shake is not good to take before bed, as it will stop supplying the body with protein within an hour or so.
    Flax seed or like you said cottage cheese are a lot better.

Thread Information