Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing & parents.

ok guyz,im wanting to join a boxing club and spar and train.since im still at adolecense im still going through mental & physical changes and my parents dont think that boxing will be anygood now,they say im juss gonna get the Cr*p knocked out of me and want me to join karate instead,i wanna box~!. i tell them that but they think im gonna get brain trama or something and get memory loss from concusion and get full of bruises they are trying to crush my dreams.what can i do? is this true about concusions and stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing & parents.

Just explain to them that as an amatuer you have to wear the protective headgear everytime you are in the ring, whether it is sparring or a bout, you have to wear the headgear. Or talk your dad into going to the gym with you so he can see what it is like and talk with a trainer about safety precautions.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sparring can be as light or as heavy as you want to make it... Karate won't reprogram your instincts and give you something to fall back on when the shit hits the fan though... or get you in even half the shape boxing will.

Ask your parents, why Karate? What is the point in it?... once upon a time when it was taught properly maybe... but now days some soft desk jockey is training it in some church hall (unless it's my mate's dad teaching Tai Kwando... but that's a different story... )... it's not gonna give you any benefit... some drunk bastard will wade into you with wind mills and you'll be left on the floor... thinking... what the fuck... why wasn't I read for that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pure View Post
    ok guyz,im wanting to join a boxing club and spar and train.since im still at adolecense im still going through mental & physical changes and my parents dont think that boxing will be anygood now,they say im juss gonna get the Cr*p knocked out of me and want me to join karate instead,i wanna box~!. i tell them that but they think im gonna get brain trama or something and get memory loss from concusion and get full of bruises they are trying to crush my dreams.what can i do? is this true about concusions and stuff?
    Unless you are ready to devote years to Karate, enter tournaments, and seek training until real Karate masters, you are throwing your money away. Go to a local Do-J0 and see just how many times there is real physical contact. As far as brain damage, studies are now showing you can get that in football, or soccer. Boxing has some basic rules to protect someone who has suffered a concussion, but I wont get into that. The best advice I can give you is that in the real world, you will have a better chance to defend yourself in a fight with boxing skills. You want to go MMA? Then boxing skills are certainly needed. The physical training alone prepares you for any martial sport or military. Enough said.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ten year bump of thread Has to be a near record . And OP hope you did what made you happy and are headlining cards by now.

Thread Information