Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Let the Unification Begin

Let the Unification Begin

By Julian Kasdin (Nov 9, 2006)

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Kasdin/Kasdin_110906.htm

Heavyweight unification seems to be the most desired thing in the sport at the moment, and it seems that the fans might finally get their wish. After winning the WBO title via 12th round KO over Sergei Liakhovich, Shannon ‘The Cannon’ Briggs, 48-4-1 (42), will be squaring off against WBA champion ‘The Russian Giant’ Nikolai Valuev, 45-0 (33), sometime in early 2007.

This fight, which will take place in New York City, pits two of the most marketable and talked about fighters in the division against each other in the hopes of crowning a unified champion. Briggs, who came from behind to beat Liakhovich, is a master at marketing himself, and as the only American titleholder will surely draw in many American fans who believe that the heavyweight title is an American birthright. Valuev is probably the most talked about man in the heavyweight division. His size and undefeated record, which is inching ever closer to Rocky Marciano’s, make him a growing attraction.

If Valuev wins his next fight then Madison Square Garden will be home to Shannon’s attempt to bring all the belts back to Brownsville and Valuev’s attempt to chase history. Let’s hope everything stays on course so that this fight can come off and some clarity can be restored to the heavyweight division.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Let the Unification Begin

COOL CLICK bro! i got excited when i saw UNIFICATION period even if it is the two lesser respected abc belts hahaha. so if these two bastardz can unify then the winner can get Oleg or Wlad after that.

Personally i feel its all about the WBC, then the IBF, Then the WBA then....................WBO ahhah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Let the Unification Begin

By Julian Kasdin (Nov 9, 2006)

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Kasdin/Kasdin_110906.htm

Heavyweight unification seems to be the most desired thing in the sport at the moment, and it seems that the fans might finally get their wish. After winning the WBO title via 12th round KO over Sergei Liakhovich, Shannon ‘The Cannon’ Briggs, 48-4-1 (42), will be squaring off against WBA champion ‘The Russian Giant’ Nikolai Valuev, 45-0 (33), sometime in early 2007.

This fight, which will take place in New York City, pits two of the most marketable and talked about fighters in the division against each other in the hopes of crowning a unified champion. Briggs, who came from behind to beat Liakhovich, is a master at marketing himself, and as the only American titleholder will surely draw in many American fans who believe that the heavyweight title is an American birthright. Valuev is probably the most talked about man in the heavyweight division. His size and undefeated record, which is inching ever closer to Rocky Marciano’s, make him a growing attraction.

If Valuev wins his next fight then Madison Square Garden will be home to Shannon’s attempt to bring all the belts back to Brownsville and Valuev’s attempt to chase history. Let’s hope everything stays on course so that this fight can come off and some clarity can be restored to the heavyweight division.
    Clarity ? I just see more muddy water.. both fighters are a horrible watch in my opinion. This fight could be billed as " The best of the worst" No interest at all, Just my opinion .
    Cool Click for the write up !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight will be horrible!!! I think Val the beast will have both belts which is shocking!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

UGGG that will be an ugly fight....Either way if Briggs wins he will fight Wlad....If Nikolay wins he will fight Wlad.....I see Wlad as the UDP champ by this time next year either way...

Then again this is HW boxing and it is almost impossible right now to predict....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to say it, but that is one of the most dreadful examples of piss-poor journalism I have seen since I last read one of my own articles. No sources...no quotes from anyone, not even an "insider" from either camp, and absolutely no evidence whatsoever. He doesn't even refer to where he got the information from. As far as I am concerned, this is pure speculation by a boxing fan, and little more than that.

While there is no doubt that unification and progressing towards finding the best of the heavyweights is a good thing, this is no closer than the same time yesterday. I'll believe it when I see it.... (on boxrec )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even if someone unifys all 4 alphabet belts, they wont stay unified for long, unless the person fights 4 times a year, to take care of all the mandatorys. (althought that would be awesome if the heavyweight champ fought that often, maybe then I would praise the alphabet system)

In book written by Holyfields lawyer, its pretty interesting how holyfield had to constantly concern himself with making the mandatory defenses, (and they were always against someone completely unworthy,) while the public cried out for fights against other great fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lance Uppercut
    Even if someone unifys all 4 alphabet belts, they wont stay unified for long, unless the person fights 4 times a year, to take care of all the mandatorys. (althought that would be awesome if the heavyweight champ fought that often, maybe then I would praise the alphabet system)

In book written by Holyfields lawyer, its pretty interesting how holyfield had to constantly concern himself with making the mandatory defenses, (and they were always against someone completely unworthy,) while the public cried out for fights against other great fighters.
    yelp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

definately the best fight for valuev, and we shouldnt be so dissmissive of this fight either to be fair..
    i mean this is a good fight compared to what he has been and i expect of valuev so i kinda look forward to it to be honest...
    i mean shannon has some pretty good power and i dont think valuev has been tested yet so thats good..
    shannon is pretty tall another good test for val..
    but all in all should valuev cope with improved factors against this opponent he should win a late stoppage since shannon also bares a suspect chin...
    a good test for both and a step closer to getting a unification... i mean both of these guys are less then great!... so one of them is gona win which just leaves one less bout for a decent fighter like sam peter, james toney, klitshco , brock, etc to clean up.. also i think all those names could beat maskaev aswell..
    so bring on the next undisputed world heavyweight champion
    comon guys! always look on the bright side of life :P
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

*shudders at the thought of valuev tying marciano's record* Well i guess you can call this progress. Now the winner of brock/wlad fights the other belt holder and winner of that goes against the winner of valuev/briggs. Then we have our "champion" that gets to carry around the ring magazine belt for a few months then who knows what happens.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    *shudders at the thought of valuev tying marciano's record* Well i guess you can call this progress. Now the winner of brock/wlad fights the other belt holder and winner of that goes against the winner of valuev/briggs. Then we have our "champion" that gets to carry around the ring magazine belt for a few months then who knows what happens.
    Dude, at the end of the day, the winner of the ring belt will be little more than a temporary holder of the belt, as we await a proper heavyweight champion to make himself known. Come on son, shout boy! We want to hear from the next champ, and even if his name is Tyson Fury!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's a few good prospects coming up in america (i can judge them only by their records) and boytsov seems like he could be a factor in a few years if he steps up the competition he faces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BodyHead
    definately the best fight for valuev, and we shouldnt be so dissmissive of this fight either to be fair..
    i mean this is a good fight compared to what he has been and i expect of valuev so i kinda look forward to it to be honest...
    i mean shannon has some pretty good power and i dont think valuev has been tested yet so thats good..
    shannon is pretty tall another good test for val..
    but all in all should valuev cope with improved factors against this opponent he should win a late stoppage since shannon also bares a suspect chin...
    a good test for both and a step closer to getting a unification... i mean both of these guys are less then great!... so one of them is gona win which just leaves one less bout for a decent fighter like sam peter, james toney, klitshco , brock, etc to clean up.. also i think all those names could beat maskaev aswell..
    so bring on the next undisputed world heavyweight champion
    comon guys! always look on the bright side of life :P
    peace
    I normally do, but that tall hairy SOB is blocking the light !

El Kabong Guest

Well Monte Barrett caught Valuev early, I think Briggs can do the same but I honestly don't see the fight happening, not with Sergei's protest inline and Briggs beef with Wlad.

Anyways I think whenever Valuev gets dropped he's not going to get back up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Briggs isn’t got what it takes to Drop that big MOFO.. its going to take a fighter with some kind of work rate and good skills, a fighter that will be in condition enough to negotiate there way on the inside, and stay busy in there. ! Briggs would just stand there with his hands at his side, easy win for the monster ! easy win !

Thread Information