Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Cross

No thats why Im asking, if you throw a correct jab shoulder to chin you cant biomechanicly make it longer.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

we're talking about the cross, which can be extended by leaning into it at the waist. But is it worth it?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It feels natural to lean forwards an inch or two but my trainer says keep upright.

Always about pulling the left back rather than throwing the right forwards when I throw a right hand, I suppose it's probably natural to lean forwards because it's a cheap way of quickly getting extra power, I assume being upright is harder to learn but in the end will generate more power and be a quicker shot?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its the same with the right cross if the head goes past the front foot and you get countered its twice the impact. Try running into a brick wall head first, you wouldntbut your doing the same thing. A case in point indistructable best chin of all time 20" kneck but when he started leaning in with his shots and not moving the back foot it was a different story Mike Tyson. When the legs stop moving, you get moved and it hurts. one day it happens to everybody, while youve got balance it can be prevented when you havent you cant that goes for everybody in history.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adam youve got a good coach, if you dont work at the basic skills youve no chance doing the intricate things correct, natural talent will deminish quickly. If you can do 100 metres in 10 secs with your finger up your arse, try taking it out you might do it in 9 / 8 secs theres a good chance you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what your saying basically is dont lean, stay balanced, stay on the back foot and its better than leaning forward?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats it Jamio case study JJ chavez probably the best attacking fighter Ive seen in the last 30 yrs di9dnt lean until the last couple of years good at walking a man down fast back foot hard to hit, it was only at the end he got caught when the legs had lost it. Dela Hoya is a bit front footed but his good eye is his front eye hes a converted southpaw meaning hes left handed and his front foot works accordingly. But show him a left hook before the right and youll hit him all day long and he struggles moving right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc Scrap good analogy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    It feels natural to lean forwards an inch or two but my trainer says keep upright.

Always about pulling the left back rather than throwing the right forwards when I throw a right hand, I suppose it's probably natural to lean forwards because it's a cheap way of quickly getting extra power, I assume being upright is harder to learn but in the end will generate more power and be a quicker shot?
    Adam, do you ever do the med ball slams I advocate so much? If you do, you'll notice that ronically you generate little extra power by leaning, if any at all. Like you said though, a slight lean is natural but it is not required for power. If that were true then baseball players would be hitting off their front foot. Try dragging your back foot forward on the one-two and actually putting a very slight bit extra weight on the back foot. This will ensure good balance.

I think I should get a cc for starting such an important and insightful thread.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my point was not so much on the issue of power but of making contact with the target and the point about legs is correct. Let's not forget if you do lean over with a cross it can be a long way back to your centre and be balanced.

Scrap, in terms of the jab try it sitting on a chair. take the legs out of it for the moment. Just make a fist and push it out straight. Now do the same thing but turn your shoulder/chest with it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try sitting on a fit ball and doing it or get some hand pads put them round your knees and shadow box on your knees through isolating the feet you get good upper body movement in balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I put a stop to any leaning with the straight punches (working the body is another story). There is something that is difficult for me to describe to the fighters until they have picked it up. It's an extra reach that comes with a couple years of punching. It comes from the shoulder and allows the fighter to reach out atleast an inch more. You can see it when they're on the pads. When they find it, it's a small milestone.

OldTownBoxing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try and explain it, Im all ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB

Adam, do you ever do the med ball slams I advocate so much? If you do, you'll notice that ronically you generate little extra power by leaning, if any at all. Like you said though, a slight lean is natural but it is not required for power. If that were true then baseball players would be hitting off their front foot. Try dragging your back foot forward on the one-two and actually putting a very slight bit extra weight on the back foot. This will ensure good balance.

I think I should get a cc for starting such an important and insightful thread.

I was going to....but then you asked for one

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gave him one he appealed to my soft side

Thread Information