Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who was the greatest heavyweight: JOE LOUIS or MUHAMMAD ALI

louis is offically known as the greatest by so called boxing experts- but i say ali--was in golden era and had the toughest opposition. Louis did not have another great heavyweight to really test him and give him a challenge

could louis have beaten liston, foreman, frazier? i dont think he could have--but ali did.

could ali have beaten schmeling, conn and 2ton toni?--with his eyes closed

could ali have beaten louis?--sure--ali could take any punch and fighter could dish out--if he could survive liston and foreman--he could survive joe
    he would win by a ud

this post is not 2 take anything away from louis--i just think he is 2nd best nxt 2 ali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who was the greatest heavyweight: JOE LOUIS or MUHAMMAD ALI

hands down.... ALI BOOM-AYE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali easily.. I think he fought the best competition of any fighter, and also IMO is probably who I consider as much a contender for best fighter p4p as Ray Robinson... he beat Fraizer, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Liston, Jimmy Young, Ron Lyle, Patterson, Chuvalo, Quartey, Ellis, Archie Moore, Karl Mildenberger, Cleveland Williams, Ernie Terrell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Louis in my book.Joe held the Heavyweight Championship longer than any other Champion; Louis scored 43 knockdowns in his first 22 Professional bouts; Only Jack Kranz and Hans Birkie were not floored; He fought as an amateur light-heavyweight (175-lb class); His amateur record reportedly was 50-4 with 43 knockouts
    Here is a good video of him(you can turn down the music I did)
    [youtube=425,350]lnTDtqiYzww[/youtube]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cool video but i had to turn the sound off once EMF came on haahha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Klitschkofan
    Joe Louis in my book.Joe held the Heavyweight Championship longer than any other Champion; Louis scored 43 knockdowns in his first 22 Professional bouts; Only Jack Kranz and Hans Birkie were not floored; He fought as an amateur light-heavyweight (175-lb class); His amateur record reportedly was 50-4 with 43 knockouts
    He was fighting bums though... I doubt he could have beaten Liston.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Ali easily.. I think he fought the best competition of any fighter, and also IMO is probably who I consider as much a contender for best fighter p4p as Ray Robinson... he beat Fraizer, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Liston, Jimmy Young, Ron Lyle, Patterson, Chuvalo, Quartey, Ellis, Archie Moore, Karl Mildenberger, Cleveland Williams, Ernie Terrell.
    u mention them there good names but i have to be honest he got gift decision against jimmy young alot of people thought he lost and alot of people think norton won all 3 fights with ali and u cant even put up archie moore he was 46 at the time i believe and alot of people think shavers did enough to win aswell but he did fight best opp and i admire him for that but he did get quite a few gift decisions and im ali fan and i have to admit it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He might not of had the best oppostition but even if you put Louis in the golden era i still believe he'd be a factor. I chose ali just simply because if you ask someone who isn't even a casual fan of boxing to tell you the first name that pops into their head when you say boxing it will either be Ali, De la Hoya, or Tyson. I think to be a great boxer you have to be charismatic in interviews. Another factor is that he just fought too far back for people to really know him if they aren't a fan of the sport. As for skill wise, they had two different styles but each perfected his own. It comes down to what you consider greatness to be: 1. Someone who had the greatest title reign in boxing history let alone in heavyweight history or 2. Someone who became the first 3 time world champion in heavyweight history along the way avenging all of his losses b4 the 80's.

El Kabong Guest

Joe Louis....25 successful title defenses....best ever!

Ali did very well but I have him at 3rd....I have Rocky Marciano at #2 because he was undefeated...say what you will about who he fought....HE NEVER LOST

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle

Ali did very well but I have him at 3rd....I have Rocky Marciano at #2 because he was undefeated...say what you will about who he fought....HE NEVER LOST
    He should have lost to La Starza first time around, he got a gift in that fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Quote Originally Posted by Klitschkofan
    He was fighting bums though... I doubt he could have beaten Liston.

And you think Ali beat a legit Listion? At least the second time he sure as hell didn't. And Liston was past it in both fights anyways. Add the mafia and the whole thing smells like fish.

El Kabong Guest

If you like Ali and think he's the Greatest just because it's everyone else's opinion then you're an idiot....if you are knowledgeable enough to prove in a debate why he's the greatest of all time then I respect your opinion.

And ignorance shows when people say things like "Joe Louis couldn't beat Sonny Liston"....prime for prime Joe Louis would have made Liston look SILLY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they are both great heavyweights. i aint going to say who is better because they are both as good as each other

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo

He should have lost to La Starza first time around, he got a gift in that fight
    actually it would have been a draw-check the facts--but since he floored lastarza they gave it 2 him.--so his record would have been 48-0-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you like Ali and think he's the Greatest just because it's everyone else's opinion then you're an idiot....if you are knowledgeable enough to prove in a debate why he's the greatest of all time then I respect your opinion.

And ignorance shows when people say things like "Joe Louis couldn't beat Sonny Liston"....prime for prime Joe Louis would have made Liston look SILLY
    Your ignorance is that you can't even acknowledge that Liston was a superior version of Louis... He was way stronger, and just as good of a boxer.

Thread Information