Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How do you beat Winky Wright?

The guys defence is awesome,so how do you beat him? I think banging to the body would be a good idea but he blocks most of those shots too!! Ummm,I think someone with a really high activity level like Calzaghe could do it,throw so many shots,that he breaks through the guard! What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you beat Winky Wright?

I dont think a guy that is fighting Manfredo next will beat Winky. I want to like Calzaghe but he gives fans no choice.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well your on the right track with a guy of Volume....That is the only way to really beat him...Not that many shots will get through but you will win on the merit of being the agressor....But I mean HIGH VOLUME!!!!!!!!.......As for Calzaghe...No he is not the man to beat Wright
    Winky is a guy you can win against but never actually beat him if you know what I mean
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Roy Jones Jr. would have beaten him without resorting to just throwing thousands of punches. I am not sure if Calzaghe could beat Winky because I think he would get hit by the jab too much for him to be able to come in and throw as many punches he would like... I noticed against Bika he had a harder time throwing big combinations because Bika could connect against him. I think a guy would need to keep his left hand up to nullify Winky's jab, and had good power/reflexes. I honestly think that if Taylor was a better technical fighter he could have won that fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My plan would be to not try and break through the defense at all. I'd just wait for him to peek out and land as many hard shots as I could. I'd rather lose by UD that way then pound on his forearms all night and lose by UD.

My goal would be to bloody his nose. As soon as I did that I'd quit and go eat steak and lobster.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky has that luxury now of being credited with blocking punches even if he isnt. Its assumed that once his hands cup around his head no punches are going to land which isnt true. There is plenty of room to slip in punches to the body. When he does open up then you have to punch with him. When he opened up against Ike there were plenty of ohhs and ahhs but for me he didnt look good doing it, clumsy in fact at times.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Attack the body, to make him drop his hands even a little. Make his OWN elbows digg into his ribs/side keep punching at the body. Then attack at top throwing body punches along the way...
    Ike did stagger Winky and manged to land some solid shots....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    Winky has that luxury now of being credited with blocking punches even if he isnt. Its assumed that once his hands cup around his head no punches are going to land which isnt true. There is plenty of room to slip in punches to the body. When he does open up then you have to punch with him. When he opened up against Ike there were plenty of ohhs and ahhs but for me he didnt look good doing it, clumsy in fact at times.
    Um he blocks almost everything, and he keeps his arms stiff so he hardly gets hit... You have to remember QUartey has sparred with him alot so he knows quite well how to get past his defense, but nobody else even JT has been able hit him alot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    My plan would be to not try and break through the defense at all. I'd just wait for him to peek out and land as many hard shots as I could. I'd rather lose by UD that way then pound on his forearms all night and lose by UD.

My goal would be to bloody his nose. As soon as I did that I'd quit and go eat steak and lobster.
    Watch the Trinidad or mosley fights. If you wait for him, and don't have RJJ's reflexes he will eat you alive... He is a master of distance and timing like a very few amount of fighters have ever attained.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly...I think that the best bet of beating Wright is for him to wait on Oscar to whoop Floyd's ass & then go fight Oscar in Vegas.

Winky's style won't win him the fight even though he'd beat Oscar all night long. MOsley threw a shitload of punches at Wiright & he blocked the majority of all the shots but power punches & body shots...which Wright took very VERY well.

Wright willl lose unjustly one more time & retire. I can feel it in me bones.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

YOu can hire a sniper with rubber bullets and the onely it the other hit Winky shoot him in the same spot that might wirk if the other hit Winky in the head
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

at light midle i think hes unbeatable, i like Oscar more than i do winky and will be cheering for him to beat winky should they fight, but i think winky beats him.

At middle is he is far far far from unbeatable, if taylor was so damn lazy in the ring he would of beaten him! should winky step up to fight Calzaghe, then ha, Calzaghe would beat him, and im quite shocked people would even consider winky could win? Winky is a LM at best, Calzaghe is a SMW... winky doesnt have the power to hurt calzaghe, we have seen calzaghe fight for every second of every round, and if Taylor uped his work rate in the ring he would of beaten winky to. I think RJJ would of batterd winky in the ring to, im not saying that winky is a lesser boxer than them, but at SMW he is way out of his depth, and i think its only 'coz hes so talented that he is able to hang around at middle weight... LM no one beats him, look what he did to mosley!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    At middle is he is far far far from unbeatable,
    Ok, who can beat him at middle then? I thought he definitely beat Taylor, but I'll grant you that it's a pick'em if they rematch. I don't think there's anyone else there that has a shot at him though. And he's not that small for MW--he was a big Jr. Middle. It's just that someone like taylor is huge for MW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this is a question Eddie Futch would have loved.

Thread Information