Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default mixed Martial Arts noob.

i am in the boxing world,and want to become even more of a fighter more like Ufc style guys,the one thing i would like to improve on is my balance how should i do this>?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: mixed Martial Arts noob.

I'm also New to MMA but I see it taking over boxing in about 6 years or so. Once more people are in it better competion it will be and greater fights will happened. I see exboxers going at it so it will mean great fights.
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally, I don't see any real exercise to improve balance. If you really wanted to, maybe take one of those Tai Chi or Pilates or Yoga classes or something. I don't know much about them, but I've heard theyre supposed to improve balance and whatnot.

A better idea (especially for mixed martial arts) might be to sign up with a Judo school. Judo would be an excellent complement to your boxing skills in mixed martial arts (I personally think Judo + Boxing crosstraining is going to be the next big thing in MMA). Judo specializes in throws and takedowns using your opponents balance against them. Through Judo, you will learn not only how to disrupt your opponents balance to deliever knockout power throws, you'll learn to defend the throws and takedowns yourself, as well as learn to have a better eye on your own balance. Judo will also teach you some submissions to use, too, should the fight go to the ground. And in learning to perform submissions, you'll learn to defend them as well, making you a MUCH more complete fighter than boxing alone.

And the best news? Judo schools are generally plentiful and generally cheap. Just make sure that the gym (school, whatever it's called) knows you want to learn with the intents of fighting. Research the school well and make sure there is plenty of full contact sparring. Otherwise, you really won't be benefiting.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

D, agreed. Judo and boxing are where it's at, IMO. I hope we can keep this quiet though!

also, if I'm not mistaken, you're realtively new to judo too, right? It was actually munkey that got me on to judo, and although I haven't taken any, have a burning desire to do so. Funny thing though, around here, judo dojos are in short supply and brutally expensive. So I have to stick to boxing.

One thing I'm trying to find out though is if there are any college judo clubs. These would be the cheapest most likely. Unfortunately, the email link to the Eastern Michigan U judo club doesn't work and I refuse to have anything to do with those little rich pricks at U of Michigan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

New to MMA, not involved in Judo yet. But if I could take only 1 martial art (outside boxing) it would be Judo. Everything about it intrigues me, and actually seems pretty close to the way I already fight, unlike BJJ or wrestling. Plus it generally works from a clinch, which goes well with boxing (esp an inside boxer like me).
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D
    if I could take only 1 martial art (outside boxing) it would be Judo.
    bullseye. and what you said about the clinch, another bullseye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whats the best way to take down a Oppnent,and submit him>?

i will check into this judo, give it a shot,im try cross training like you guyz mentioned.mixing boxing which i love with judo,get a nice setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha...it isnt really that easy :P

Right now, it seems to be use wrestling to take them down (single or double leg takedowns) and then use Jiu Jitsu skills to submit them (Kimura/keylock, rear naked choke/sleeper and armbars tend to be the most popular (and easiest to attain) submissions).

Judo uses many techniques similar to jiu jitsu on the ground, so you'll learn plenty of submissions there. And Judo will teach you enough takedowns to get the job done.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

remember the rubber ball with the plastic disk around it, and you balance on the plastic disk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hehe, well really i would juss like to be """ Stronger on My Feet" so when someone trys to Take me down,I Can Defend Myself instead of falling straight to the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your best bet is to learn a grappling art, then. Learning how to take someone down goes hand in hand with taking them down.

Like I said, I'd recomment Judo for all around and to improve your own ground game. Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu would also be very handy for this.

Thread Information