Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Mayweather Jr do against some past greats?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How does Mayweather Jr do against some past greats?

I recently wrote an article for Saddoboxing about how PBF would do agaisnt the elite of the 80's. After The supporting narrative, I concluded as follows:

PBF vs. SRL: SRL by UD

PBF vs. Thomas Hearns: Hearns by UD or SD

PBF vs. Duran: PBF by UD

PBF vs. Arguello: PBF by UD

PBF vs. Pryor: Draw

But now let's go back a little later in time...........

I see the fury of Salvador “Chava” Sanchez overwhelming Mayweather in a close but exciting fight. Floyd has never been in with anyone like this before. His speed and footwork combined with heavy hands will tire Floyd and he will need to hold on until the bell mercifully rings for the 15th round ending the fight. He offers no protest as the decision is announced. It is Floyd’s first loss and he takes it well, knowing that he has been in the ring with a legend.....one with incredible energy and stamina that sustains his attack for the full 15 rounds.

I also see Luis Manuel "El Feo" Rodriguez giving PBF fits with his different styles and bolo punch, but sooner or later Floyd will figure him out, but just barely. With a stick and move strategy, Pretty Boy wins a close split decision that is a tactical treat for boxing purists to watch but one lacking in furious exchanges or an abundance of excitement.

Jose "Mantequilla" Napoles gives Mayweather a brutal beating in the early part of the fight, but Floyd, bruised, cut and spitting blood, rallies and shows heart as he surprisingly engages in a give and take brawl with the rough Napoles. Floyd shows "Mantequilla" that he is no Curtis Cokes or Ernie "Indian Red" Lopez. He takes control of the fight finally cornering Napoles in the 13th round. With an incredible number of hard and unanswered shots, the referee has no alternative but to halt the action.. PBF is declared a TKO winner in perhaps his career defining fight.

When he fights Sugar Ray Robinson, the PPV is the largest in boxing history. The pre-fight anticipation is nothing short of astounding as most of the world's population is in front of a television screen. PBF comes in at 40-1 while Sugar is at 128-1-2. Prime vs prime. Disappointingly, however, the fight turns out to be boring, as once again styles make fights and theirs are too similar to make this one interesting. Nevertheless, Sugar Ray Robinson does enough to win a close and tactically sound UD. Neither fighter was in any trouble during the fight and both seemed pleased with the result even though it is Pretty Boy’s second loss.

For now, I'll stay away from the likes of Basilio, Saxton, Graziano, Zale, Moyer, Miceli, Turner, Gavilan, DeMarco, Williams, Graham and others....but only for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How does Mayweather Jr do against some past greats?

whats good ted the bull? hows the weather in chi-town treatin ya?

i personally would say id have to wait until after cinco de mayo to answer any of these hypothetical fantasy matchups only cause based on PBF's recent fights id say it wouldnt be a fair or good way to gadge PBF's best performances. If Oscar can bring out the best of PBF just as OSCAR AND SSM brought the best out of each other in their first match up. then i can better answer this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    I recently wrote an article for Saddoboxing about how PBF would do agaisnt the elite of the 80's. After The supporting narrative, I concluded as follows:

I see the fury of Salvador “Chava” Sanchez overwhelming Mayweather in a close but exciting fight. Floyd has never been in with anyone like this before. His speed and footwork combined with heavy hands will tire Floyd and he will need to hold on until the bell mercifully rings for the 15th round ending the fight. He offers no protest as the decision is announced. It is Floyd’s first loss and he takes it well, knowing that he has been in the ring with a legend.....one with incredible energy and stamina that sustains his attack for the full 15 rounds.

I also see Luis Manuel "El Feo" Rodriguez giving PBF fits with his different styles and bolo punch, but sooner or later Floyd will figure him out, but just barely. With a stick and move strategy, Pretty Boy wins a close split decision that is a tactical treat for boxing purists to watch but one lacking in furious exchanges or an abundance of excitement.

Jose "Mantequilla" Napoles gives Mayweather a brutal beating in the early part of the fight, but Floyd, bruised, cut and spitting blood, rallies and shows heart as he surprisingly engages in a give and take brawl with the rough Napoles. Floyd shows "Mantequilla" that he is no Curtis Cokes or Ernie "Indian Red" Lopez. He takes control of the fight finally cornering Napoles in the 13th round. With an incredible number of hard and unanswered shots, the referee has no alternative but to halt the action.. PBF is declared a TKO winner in perhaps his career defining fight.

When he fights Sugar Ray Robinson, the PPV is the largest in boxing history. The pre-fight anticipation is nothing short of astounding as most of the world's population is in front of a television screen. PBF comes in at 40-1 while Sugar is at 128-1-2. Prime vs prime. Disappointingly, however, the fight turns out to be boring, as once again styles make fights and theirs are too similar to make this one interesting. Nevertheless, Sugar Ray Robinson does enough to win a close and tactically sound UD. Neither fighter was in any trouble during the fight and both seemed pleased with the result even though it is Pretty Boy’s second loss.

For now, I'll stay away from the likes of Basilio, Saxton, Graziano, Zale, Moyer, Miceli, Turner, Gavilan, DeMarco, Williams, Graham and others....but only for now.

I disagree....IMO

Floyd is confused on how to go about fighting a guy like SRR who is equal if not better...No make that is better than him in every way...SRR by UD

I also disagree about Hearns...IMO at 147 Tommy KO's him
    At 140 IMO Pryor is to much for him
    I agree with all the rest

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mayweather beats any of the guys you mentioned... Also NOBODY would give Mayweather a brutal beating from what I've seen so far from his career... NOBODY his speed, defense are far to good for anybody to land more than the odd shot on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    I think Mayweather beats any of the guys you mentioned... Also NOBODY would give Mayweather a brutal beating from what I've seen so far from his career... NOBODY his speed, defense are far to good for anybody to land more than the odd shot on him.
    Yeah man, you could really say that. Baldomir is the truth! If Baldo or Gatti can't do it ..... nobody can.

Naahh man. I wouldn't go as far as to say NOBODY, guys like Duran, Hearns, Leonard all had the goods to make it a fight... with the exception of Duran getting frustrated again. heheh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taeth, I have a question (OK, a few) for you. Here goes - How many Ray Leonard fights have you seen? Have you seen Arguello in his prime? Have you ever seen Hearns fight? Are you a close personal friend of PBF and is that blinding your prospective on this issue?

Never mind anyone else, Robinson at 147 beats Floyd like a rented mule. I will not argue about this. Floyd has NEVER seen anyone with that combination of skill, power, and reach at 147.

Please. We all love Floyd. We all respect him. He's the best around right now, but let's not get carried away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say he beats them all.
    Although I respect the past athletes and what they have done for the sport... the current athletes are faster, more powerful and skilled. Due to learning from past athletes video, and technology advancements for training and equipment.
    Just like in the Olympics how we keep seeing world records getting beat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanE
    Taeth, I have a question (OK, a few) for you. Here goes - How many Ray Leonard fights have you seen? Have you seen Arguello in his prime? Have you ever seen Hearns fight? Are you a close personal friend of PBF and is that blinding your prospective on this issue?

Never mind anyone else, Robinson at 147 beats Floyd like a rented mule. I will not argue about this. Floyd has NEVER seen anyone with that combination of skill, power, and reach at 147.

Please. We all love Floyd. We all respect him. He's the best around right now, but let's not get carried away.
    Excellent fwocking post SeanE.Cool Click brother. Let's not get carried away indeed!!! Hearns in particular would KTFO Floyd!!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you even watched a fight earlier than 1995?

Ray Leonard and Hearns would both murder Floyd, too big. Duran would be the ultimate pressure fight for him, Pryor, Arguello, Benitez all would be tough fights.

It may suprise you to know that boxers actually had skills over 10 years ago Taeth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in 15 rounds all of them would of k.o little pretty boy...floyd doesn't have the heart of the likes of srl...floyd is talented but back in the 80s he would of got murdered...guys back then comes to finish their oppenent...pretty boy floyd in 15 rounds would go through hell and noun of the elite in the 80s would be content with a ud not like pbf who claims atg statues but doesn't take risk like the true all time greats...

ICB Guest

ted pryor is animal he would murder mayweather and hearns would ko floyd and leonard would ud floyd and before anyone says it im not floyd hater i actually like floyd but ones i mentioned i think would be too much for floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good read.

I like the post/article.

As far as it goes though...I think that SRL would have handed Floyd his ass.

I think that Hearns would have lost though.

Duran would have been an all out war...but I see Floyd frustrating him & staying on the back foot the majority of the night...same for Arguello...but both of them could crack...so who knows.

The main factor is that I am still not sold at Floyd's abilities to hurt or maybe be hurt at these higher weight classes that he is moving in to.

Disagree...Mayweather appears unbeatable today...but by yesteryears standards...there are a few that I'd pick to batter my guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Yeah man, you could really say that. Baldomir is the truth! If Baldo or Gatti can't do it ..... nobody can.
    Wow...to be a "Boxing Analyst Extraordinaire" you sure are short sighted...but I'll bet your'e a Margarito fan first...& that makes all the sense in the world.

Floyd's beaten a lot better than Gatti & Baldomir...but you forgot that...conviniently...right.

Heh heh heh. Kid's these days.

Quote Originally Posted by true p4p king
    in 15 rounds all of them would of k.o little pretty boy...floyd doesn't have the heart of the likes of srl...floyd is talented but back in the 80s he would of got murdered...guys back then comes to finish their oppenent...pretty boy floyd in 15 rounds would go through hell and noun of the elite in the 80s would be content with a ud not like pbf who claims atg statues but doesn't take risk like the true all time greats...
    Oh please. As usual...so completely biased that you can't see past the nose on your own face.

Floyd spars 15 to 20 rounds straight through at a time & switches up partners through the set. I think that you just don't know.

As far as taking risks...Floyd has taken risks & just because an opposing fan's fighter doesn't make it to the ring with Floyd...doesn't men that that fighter is any more unbeatable than the other 37 men that he's dispatched.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanE

I've seen most big fights with Leonard, and some smaller ones right now I have Loenard-Hearns I, Duran-Leonard I and II, Leonard-Hagler, Leonard-Mayweather Sr., Leonard Lalonde, Leonard-Cuevas, Hagler-Hearns, Hearns-Duran, Hagler-Duran, Benitez-Hearns, Benitez-Leonard, Hagler-Mugabi... so don't think that I haven't seen a fucking fight between those guys... Also I have alot of Robinson fights(7 or , and there is no way he would get off combinations, and he had NO defense whatsever... if he was so great he should have just destroyed slow, ponderous, killing himself to make weight Lamotta. As for Pryor I have only seen him against Arguello, and he was impressive, but Mayweather is too quick for him...

The only person of these guys who actually fought at 147 I would say would at least go 50/50 with Mayweather is Hearns... He is too tall, quick, and savy for Mayweather to beat unless he came in with his best game.... You think I am just a blind fanatic for Mayweather, but its not true... I look at boxing probably more objectively than anyone, and I see the little things he does that would make him almost impossible to beat for most anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

Good read.

I like the post/article.

As far as it goes though...I think that SRL would have handed Floyd his a**.

I think that Hearns would have lost though.

Duran would have been an all out war...but I see Floyd frustrating him & staying on the back foot the majority of the night...same for Arguello...but both of them could crack...so who knows.

The main factor is that I am still not sold at Floyd's abilities to hurt or maybe be hurt at these higher weight classes that he is moving in to.

Disagree...Mayweather appears unbeatable today...but by yesteryears standards...there are a few that I'd pick to batter my guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Wow...to be a "Boxing Analyst Extraordinaire" you sure are short sighted...but I'll bet your'e a Margarito fan first...& that makes all the sense in the world.

Floyd's beaten a lot better than Gatti & Baldomir...but you forgot that...conviniently...right.

Heh heh heh. Kid's these days.

Quote Originally Posted by true p4p king
    Oh please. As usual...so completely biased that you can't see past the nose on your own face.

Floyd spars 15 to 20 rounds straight through at a time & switches up partners through the set. I think that you just don't know.

As far as taking risks...Floyd has taken risks & just because an opposing fan's fighter doesn't make it to the ring with Floyd...doesn't men that that fighter is any more unbeatable than the other 37 men that he's dispatched.
    Watch Leonard-Mayweather who is a far lesser version of Floyd, and you will see all the shortcommings in Leonard's actual boxing style... He had a hard time getting in on Mayweather at the begining of the fight, and if Mayweather Sr. didn't have the chin of a straweight which PBF doesn't he would have been able to engage more, and also he didn't have the speed of his son to counter even more effectively against Leonard because just Floyd Sr. was able to counter effectively against this man supposedly too fast and too big for Mayweather... Also about MAyweahter being tired if going 15 rounds... thats bs. Mayweather not only spars 15 to 20 rounds, but sometimes he spars 10 minute rounds during these sessions...I've heard he's been in the ring from 70-80 minutes before in one sparring session.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way PBF beats Hearns. Hearns reach,power,ability to bang AND BOX would have given PBF nightmares. He's never faced anyone like the Hitman and the only real weakness Hearns had was the suspect chin,something PBF would not have been able to expoit. As for Manos de Pedre Duran,if Castillo can give PBF hell and in mosts opinion,win their first fight,no way does Floyd handle Duran. The pressure Duran would bring,the roughouse tactics etc etc.

Again,just because Floyd does well against this generation,does not mean he would beat the other great fighters ESPECIALLY as he has never faced guys anywhere near that calibre. We cannot even see answer how good PBF is at 147 because his fights with shot Sharmba,mentally unstable Judah and Cinderella man Baldo are hardly great indicators are they?

and PBF has not taken a risk in a long time. When was the last time neutral fans watched a fight that they thought might be tough for Floyd? I'm a huge fan of his skills but to make all these assumptions that he would beat these tried and tested warriors,warriors who fought dangerous fights throughout their careers and proved they were the best, just doesn't add up. Imagine what a Duran, Leonard, Hearns would do to opponents PBF has face.d Would any of the opponents last the distance?? Castillo? Judah,Mitchell and Baldo would not last at all.

Thread Information