Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default stepping up in opposition sparring

my trainer say that this week they are gonna be getting the seniors down to spar me (the seniors arent really older they are the same age but have been boxing longer) now i have seen them spar, they are extremely accurate and very fast, i havnt sparred anyone with their skill but i have to step up sometimes, if i do well i am going to move up with the seniors where the REAL training happens.

any advice would really be helpful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: stepping up in opposition sparring

Watch, Look, Listen........then mimmick.

We only let the advance people sparr the beginner people. I never put two beginners together.....I feel they learn from someone who is relaxed and confidant......also there is no injury because the advanced person is in control.

OldTownBoxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by R E L E N T L E S S
    my trainer say that this week they are gonna be getting the seniors down to spar me (the seniors arent really older they are the same age but have been boxing longer) now i have seen them spar, they are extremely accurate and very fast, i havnt sparred anyone with their skill but i have to step up sometimes, if i do well i am going to move up with the seniors where the REAL training happens.

any advice would really be helpful
    yeah. it's simple. keep your f'in hands UP and NEVER be a stationary target. as soon as your hands drop one bit and you stand still for more than 2 seconds they'll tatoo your face with nice crisp jabs. Guaranteed.

I moved up in sparring recently too. Picture a guy 6'1" with the physique of an NFL running back. That's my newest sparring partner. I managed to land some nice body shots and a nice left hook but wasn't able to sneak in a single jab or straight right hand. He also tatooed me with his jab because it was faster than anything I had ever seen. Once I realized that this guy was a lot better and quicker than what I was used to, it kicked in.... keep my hands up and keep moving...to slip thejab. Then even he said I became harder to hit and I was able to duck under and work my way inside for those body shots and the left hooks. There are no winners and losers in sparring, but trust me, I'm losing again. lol. But that's how you get better....every time you move up in calibre of opponent, all those little things sink in just that little bit deeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownboxing

good stuff. mimicking those who are better than you is one of THE easiest ways to learn. Of course, the key is to mimmick exactly, otherwise you're not all that much better off and still have flaws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownboxing

We only let the advance people sparr the beginner people. I never put two beginners together.....I feel they learn from someone who is relaxed and confidant......also there is no injury because the advanced person is in control.

OldTownBoxing
    Very very true. I hate sparring beginners, they seem harder to actually spar than the pros. OK they are easier to hit and dont hit as hard, but they flail and there arms go everywhere, its a bloody nightmare.
    It usually takes a good shot or two to sting them so they tighten up a bit more and gain more control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you definitely have to do more to avoid their flailing at the start, but once they realize that they can't hit you they seem to settle down, and that's when you go to town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

listen to everything they said, but what you've got to go is find the courage to go in with them. Basically mate, you are probably going to get smashed around, well....you gotta deal with it. Really what you have to do is phyce yourself up, they are still human however good they are. Once youve sparred a couple of times think what they hit you with the most and think that you need to improve that area. But dont just, for example, keep you right hand up when you are sparring because they hit you with about 1000 left hooks and forget the rest of your defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From reading this thread, I've just got an idea. Would flailing your arms about in a proper fight be a good technique ? it does seem that the experienced guys aren't sure what to do. Reminds me of the first time I sparred, I seemed to have more succes when I was just frantically moving about with no idea what I was doing, than when I settled down. as you said they just started teeing off on me then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You cant score points flailing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol yehh alotta flailing.. turning theyr back... ive had a few who once they get hit they start fighting like they do on a saturday night and start bringing theyr arm back before they throw a punch..
    i dont usually take the begginners to seriously though just concentrate on jabs and bod shots..
    and i tell em when they need to tighten up.. usually before i'll say somethin like.. dont worry jus box your best and stay relaxed.. but if you start dropping your hands ..im gona hit you..make you feel it so you remember..
    to be honest im prob a bit of a bastard come to think of it.. if theyr not working i like to rough em up and then i'll put my hands down and stick my chin out and antagonise them so they get a bit fired up and start commiting to theyr punches..lol
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information