Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Frank Warren and the WBO

why is it that average britsh fighters in Frank Warrens stable are ranked so unfairly in WBO'S rating ?
    YOU think Warren owns a piece of the WBO ?
    eg. Mike Gomez british champ and no1 for Fraitas at super feather a few years ago !!!
    imagine the slaughter as gomez was later exposed by a few crappy fighters well short of world class.
    Tell me your views

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Frank Warren and the WBO

Since the days of Eubank and Benn the WBO has always been the staple title of choice for us Brits.

I look at it that the WBO, WBU and IBO are generally European level titles, whereas the WBA, WBC and IBF are the proper titles which you need to go over to the states to win.

It's not really like that of course, the Mexicans love the WBO too but its an accurate enough stereotype,

Personally I still don't regard it as a proper belt, but then I think these junior weights are a pussies way of winning a title too, kind of like playing soccer for an international B team

Give me world title 1 belt per division, and 8 divisions total and I'd be a happy man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Since the days of Eubank and Benn the WBO has always been the staple title of choice for us Brits.

I look at it that the WBO, WBU and IBO are generally European level titles, whereas the WBA, WBC and IBF are the proper titles which you need to go over to the states to win.

It's not really like that of course, the Mexicans love the WBO too but its an accurate enough stereotype,

Personally I still don't regard it as a proper belt, but then I think these junior weights are a pussies way of winning a title too, kind of like playing soccer for an international B team

Give me world title 1 belt per division, and 8 divisions total and I'd be a happy man
    Very good unbias post
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kinda wonder why Hamed and calzaghe under warren after winning other belts eg IBF gave them up to keep the WBO wonder if its anything to do with the fact that WBO rankings are a joke full off soft defences i mean 19 defeces for Calzaghe and whp he fought ? about 2 guys with a pulse
    wot do u guys think ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's one of the four sanctioning bodies and always has been. So it's a genuine world title, officially.

Warren probably chooses opponents for some of his fighters who are higher in the WBO rankings than the other three, because the WBO usually has a weaker champion than the other three!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by althetruthhindley
    19 defeces for Calzaghe and whp he fought
    Reid, Starie, Sheika, Woodhall, Veit x 2, Brewer, Mitchell, Lacy. Not bad

The other 10 though were shit But then again, there wasn't much else cooking in the div.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    19 defeces for Calzaghe and whp he fought
    Reid, Starie, Sheika, Woodhall, Veit x 2, Brewer, Mitchell, Lacy. Not bad

The other 10 though were S*** But then again, there wasn't much else cooking in the div.
    and a shot eubank who was still decent

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo

Personally I still don't regard it as a proper belt
    Nah thats a pony sterotype, bilbo. Just taking a brief look you have

This year - Woods won IBF. Calzaghe won IBF. Hatton won WBA. Witter won WBC. Hunter fought for the IBF.

In recent times - Lewis WBC IBF WBA. Bruno WBC. Benn WBC. Hatton IBF. Reid, Woodhall and Catley WBC. Ingle IBF. Brodie fought for the WBC. Eastman fought for WBC WBA IBF. Naz won the IBF WBC. Sure Ive missed loads.

Looking at past WBO champions it's not like the BRIT holders were in poor company

Oscar - Barrera - Bowe - Corrales - Freitas - Hearns - Hopkins - Judah - Cotto - Morrison - Klitschko - Moorer - Mercer. (sure loads more can be dug out)... far from having any European connection (barring Klit ) and all fought for the WBO title in the USA.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    It's one of the four sanctioning bodies and always has been. So it's a genuine world title, officially.
    Thats what I have been saying. In 1989, Mike Tyson wasn't the undiputed World Champ, because Francesco Damiani was ruling the heavyweight division with his WBO WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why is it that average British fighters in Frank Warrens stable are ranked so unfairly in WBO'S rating ?
    YOU think Warren owns a piece of the WBO ?
    eg. Mike Gomez british champ and no1 for Fraitas at super feather a few years ago !!!
    imagine the slaughter as gomez was later exposed by a few crappy fighters well short of world class.
    Tell me your views
    Of course Warren owns a piece of the piece of shit WBO. What you think the W really stands for in WBO? "Warren Boxing Organization". The WBO is a garbage belt. It means nothing. Yet these British fighters treat it like it's the holy grail or something. With Warren calling the shots, I guess it is. Just look at the Scott Harrison situation. This clown should of been stripped a long time ago. But he's Warren's boy. So he gets all the chances he wants. No matter if he's in jail. Bail his ass out and put him in the ring. Harrison could be dead and the WBO would still consider him a "interim" champion or something. Before it's policy was in place, the WBO was the only belt that was not acknowledge by Ring Magazine. That should say it all right there.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like more typical whinging to me. We have two current WBO champions, Calzaghe obviously and Enzo Mac. Take a look at the rankings, its hardly littered with Brits holding positions not commensurate with their talents. I think I noted two exceptions over 17 weight classes in Gary Lockett and Michael Jennings who were ranked quite highly by the WBO but no other organisation.

For the record both Calzaghe and Macarinnelli are Welsh, nothing to do with us law abiding Englishmen.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    Sounds like more typical whinging to me. We have two current WBO champions, Calzaghe obviously and Enzo Mac. Take a look at the rankings, its hardly littered with Brits holding positions not commensurate with their talents. I think I noted two exceptions over 17 weight classes in Gary Lockett and Michael Jennings who were ranked quite highly by the WBO but no other organisation.

For the record both Calzaghe and Macarinnelli are Welsh, nothing to do with us law abiding Englishmen.
    Not true.

Calzaghe was born in London

Which make's him English and better still a Londoner

Ask Smash.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

iTS all to do with biusness and politics. I remember the Ibf starting, a freind of mine was the Director of the europeon set up has a few nice trips abroad on the strength of it. Got to be carefull with names here, I think the WBO came from the guy walking from the WBC, not sure though. Hed made a good impression with the British people so they backed him. Later my freind left the IBF and formed the WBO, now when a certain promoter started my freind use to work for him. So the connection wasnt hard to make. A few years ago he told me hed been offered 4 mill for the organization. Anybody can do it, the bigger the set up the bigger the sanctioning fee. good game
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information