Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default HIgh Weight High Reps

ive always heard that low weight at high reps is good for speed and heavy weight less reps is for bulk but waht about High weight high reps
    like on the butterfly machine
    im doing 200 on it and my friend says that i will not get stronger faster i will just get bulked but i am doing 3-4 sets of 15 so is this going to bulk me or give me muscle spead since maybe to those muscle can do 200 as if it is a low weight at 3 sets of 15??

Please Let Me KNow What You Think...

Please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HIgh Weight High Reps

If you are able to do 15 reps with a given weight, then it is not "high weight" for you. High weight would be a weight where you fail around 6-8 reps. So if you are able to do 15 reps, you are following a "low weight-high reps" routine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, if you can do over say 10, then it is not high weight.
    When your pushing yourself the hardest youve ever ever pushed and youre eyes are coming out of your head on the 8th rep, then thats high weight.
    Its as simple as this (not quite, but in general)
    As high a weight you can do for 2-6 reps for say 4-5 sets is for strength. Pure brute strength.
    As high a weight you can do for 8-15 reps for say 3 sets is for size. Also strength, hypertrophy, but we'll get into that later

Anything above those rep/set ranges and your going for muscular endurance.

BTW whats this butterfly machine? I hope you dont mean the pec dec.
    Because if you do you better start bench pressing before i count to ten, unless you want bad shoulders when your older and a chest that cant push for crap.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

High reps and low weight = muscular endurance... and nothing more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it is high rep- low weight = only musclar endurance, are pushups for only muscular endurance? Or also for mass/strength?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Push ups aren't an extremely high weight... but they're not a low weight by any means

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

push ups is actually low weight, people think they are lifting their entire bodyweight but thats not true ur only lifting ur upper body

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How much do you think that weights?

You're lifting more than that though, depending on how you do them.

If you do them with wide legs you're lifting nothing, if you do them super slow even more so.

Do them with a full dip, closed legs or one leg and plyometriclly and you're lifting a whole lot more, granted your not lifting your own body weight... but not what I'd class as a low weight... a medicine ball or one of those plastic dumbells are low weights... I'd class press ups as being on the lower side of medium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for pushups, if i can crank out 30 or more any way i try them, tired, after lifting, in my book, it defaintly qualifies as low weight by the above definations.

I think lifting to some degree should be incorporated into any athletic venture. Although i am new to boxing, i hear a lot of talking about not lifting, only doing body weight excersizes. Seems like a lot of people dont want to bulk up in this sport, and understandably so. However, recently I've managed to stay the same body weight, while steadily making gains in the weights at which I max out at. Overall, I feel alot stronger, and my training logs show I'm stronger, but i'm not really any heavier.

Which brings me to my question. What would be the correct approach to gaining as much strength as possible with as little weight gain as possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not Sure About The Not Gaining Weight But I Increased 5 Inches In My Chest And DIdnt Gain A Single POund id say thats pretty good

Not Sure But Yeah It Is The Peck Deck Wasnt Sure What Everyone One Else Called it So I Used A Standard Name

i suck at bench though i can only do my body weight which is only 140
    but i dont really care much for it.

BTW whats this butterfly machine? I hope you dont mean the pec dec.
    Because if you do you better start bench pressing before i count to ten, unless you want bad shoulders when your older and a chest that cant push for crap.
    why wont i be able to push worth crap and have bad shoulders i would think benching with be worse on you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a former power lifter and strength coach for the University of Alberta Golden Bears Football team I hope i can offer some information.

12-15 reps would not be considered "high" reps if the last reps are max efforts,say at 75 or more % of a one rep personal best.
    a set of 3 or 5 at this level is a very good and standard power building program.

The most important thing and the biggest setback to strength increase is INJURY! ALWAYS start with low weight and do 3-5 sets of gradually increasing lower weight to warm and loosen muscles and esp. joints tendons etc. Get the blood flowing. BEFORE you start to really work.
    BENCH PRESS is the best exercise for gaining upper body strength and chest size PERIOD. DO IT!
    It develops front deltois,upper pec,triceps,and lats
    ALWAYS have a GOOD spotter and training partner! thats the second most important thing!
    Endurance vs Power can be changed by varying the rest period between sets and thereby the weight you can do for the sets.
    I used to do long sets on the bench up to one hour and 15 sets starting at just the bar and 20 reps and building by increments of say 2x25 pound plates. At 21 years old and 217 body weight i benched 440 on a world record of 497 (for under 200 lb bodyweight,held by franco columbo) with out steroids (LOL thats 25 years ago now!!)
    Re push ups. Push ups are like bench press using about 75% of your total body weight,the % decreases slightly as you push "up" Bad part is strain on lower back and inability to quickly change weights for warm up and heavier lifting and inabilty to be protected and helped by a spotter or partner. The world record for consecutive push-ups (ie in a row) is about 14,000!!!!!!!
    Regarding the pec deck. I have a complete Gym in my basement include commercial apex leg machines and weight stacks etc. I had a apex pec deck which is worth about $3000 brand new. I THREW IT AWAY!! (kept the weight stack off of it tho') they are SH1T an absolute piece of garbage for weight training. Best way to ruin your rotator cuff!! If you want massive lats and a wide chest BENCH,BENCH,BENCH. Of course genetics play a big role too, my 11 year old son weighs 237lbs and has a 52 inch chest and 30" thighs that are rock solid! (well for a kid) But big muscles ARE NOT what you want for boxing! All they do is tire you out!
    Here's 6'4" and 297 pounds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Naw I Dont Want Big Muscles I Want Strength.
    and i would have to say that peck deck has something to do with boxing cuz i dont weight lift and all the kids in my class that have lifted for like 5 years cannot do the Peck deck as many times as i can, most of them can only do a set of five or lower and im doing 3 set of 15 so im guessing that training in just hitting the punching bag some how i have been using the same muscles

just a theory of mine it makes since if you think about it

doesnt It??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

complete opposite,

peck deck does shit for strength, it isolates ur chest muscles, do u only use ur chest muscle when u punch? no u dont, for real strength free weights is the way to go.

i find it unbelievable how guys who have been lifting weights for 5 years who cant do the peck deck either they havent been lifting weights properly or they are lying.

i had a friend who could do 170lb peck deck and he used to brag about it but when i invited him to train with me he couldnt bench press 100lb.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couldn't bench 100 pounds?

Free weights and compound lifts are the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeh, he never lifted free weights in his life!

Thread Information