Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tyson was scared to fight Foreman! - A MUST READ!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tyson was scared to fight Foreman! - A MUST READ!

Quote Originally Posted by The Promoter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    It was old news that Tyson wouldn't fight Foreman with good reason...but there others as well, Morrison, Mercer, Tua all big money fights that Tyson did NOT want...Styles make fights and anyone who knows anything about Cus D'Amato fighters understands that a D'Amato fighter does NOT fight going backwards and Tyson would have never fought anyone who would force him backwards...remember Patterson/Liston? Patterson was another one of Cus' fighters and he learned his lesson...Also, notice how Tyson never fought a Lou Duva trained fighter? (well Holyfield, but that was well after Lou was gone same with Golota)...Lou knew exactly how to beat Tyson and that's why Duva was calling Mike out like crazy...
    I don't think he wanted any of Tua, maybe Mercer either, but MORRISON?! Now, Tommy was a gutsy guy with pop, but chinny too. Mike woulda eaten him alive.
    Not saying Morrison beats Tyson, but the style was dangerous and the Tyson camp knew it...Put it this way, why would Mike Tyson turn down the first $100 million dollar purse to fight Morrison if it would have been easy?...Remeber the Morrison camp was calling for a fight and Mike "dismissed" them, why? to face Buster Douglas?!?!?
    Tyson and Morrison were set to fight dude.

But Morrison got HIV. NOT JOKING!

You guys are going to crazy with this "TYSON DUCKED!" stuff.

Tyson also ducked the guy who worked at the gas station too. heh
    "Tyson and Morrison were set to fight dude.", lol...where did you get this information The Rocky website? Tyson was too busy fighting McNeeley,Mathis Bruno and Seldon, to grab his "titles"...If I recall correctly when Morrison's name came up Mike dismissed him as "fragile" and chose to sign a fight with Bruno...Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing to my knowledge was ever signed between the Tyson and Morrison camps...IMO, after prison the Tyson people were not going to fight anyone they thought was going to fight back if they could help it...
    They were set to fight. It said so after the replay of Morrison vs Foreman on "Legends of the Ring", hosted by Michal Buffer on the Vs. Network. But the whole AIDS thing got in the way.
    Sorry to become a dose of reality but just one peek at boxrec will show you otherwise...Tyson was in jail when Morrison beat Foreman(1993) and when Mike did get out he was busy with guys like McNeeley, Mathis, Norris,Seldon and of course Evander...The name of Morrison might have been used for the dramatic effect of your tv show but nothing was ever signed, people were "talking" Tyson/Morrison back in 1991!

Not to get off subject, the Tyson camp knew which fighters to avoid because styles do make fghts and "come forward" pressure fighters that were larger than mike were specifically avoided...
    Whatever. I know what it said on the show, I've seen the episode twice. If you had ever seen the show you would know its a pretty good source. So stuff the condescending attitutde buddy.
    I don't mean to be condescending ... but there was never any fight "set" it was just talk with nothing ever signed...
    My source is Tommy Morrison himself, in an interview based on a "Where are then now?" article.

I can't find the link, but Tommy talked about it at length.

But dude, your source is YOUR BELIEF that Tyson wouldn't fight anybody "who fought back."

Pretty stupid source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Quote Originally Posted by ross
    It sounds cheesy but Mike "was" the epitome of a fighter.

He wanted to prove himself and had such a high self belief in his ability he had no problem running through all challengers wiping out a division.

No one else has done so since.

Even after Douglas he had no problems getting in with the divisions new threat Rudduck.

People want to see Mike again or a new Mike but its not just Mike or his exciting style they miss, its the fact that he fought often and everyone, all title holders and all challengers, who does that now, the division is boring because people are so afraid to have a loss on their record but Briggs, Maskaev and Klitschko are proof that there is life in a career after a loss.

Who cares if someone is undefeated as long as good entertaining fights are made
    Rudduck was a SLUGGER and not a BOXER

Now I know Foreman was a slugger but in actuality he was THE SLUGGER and if anyone EVER IN THE HISTORY OF BOXING wanted to stand toe to toe with him they were dead in the water!!!

Foreman ducked one guy and really can't shame him for that because that guy was Earnie "The Acorn" Shavers and he mainly dodged him in his comeback.

Mike Tyson was good he just wasn't as good as George old or not
    Your wrong! Ruddock wasn't just a SLUGGER he was a decent boxer with a good jab, look at his early fights setting up that hybrid left-hook-uppercut with a real good jab, he was boxing Bone crusher Smith's ears off, I'm not saying he was Willie Pep or Ray Robinson, but he wasn't some wild swinging slugger. His brutal K.O. of Michael Dokes was scary, Dokes looked like he was dead, slumped against the ropes motionless. Ruddock later in his career tried to depend on his power, rather than set the pace with his jab and counter punch. As for Foreman ducking Shavers in his comeback, you better get your facts straight, Shavers retired after 1983, Foreman didn't comeback until 1987, Shavers made a brief comeback in 1995( I guess he saw all the sucess and money Foreman was having and decided to give it a try) He won a decision over a nobody then got sparked in the 1st rd by Brian Yates who was knocked out by just about everyone he fought. So that pretty much tells you how a Foreman -Shavers fight would have ended. Foreman would have destroyed Shavers in there primes. I gotta school you too Lyle? And yes I think Tyson ducked Foreman in the early ninties, they were even selling TYSON VS FORMAN T-shirts on Broad an Snyder in South Philly the summer of 1990, there was way too much money to be made by them fighting each other for it not to come off,....so Tyson had to be SCARED, it just don't make any sense for the fight not to happen.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by atomic bull

He wanted to prove himself and had such a high self belief in his ability he had no problem running through all challengers wiping out a division.

Even after Douglas he had no problems getting in with the divisions new threat Rudduck.

People want to see Mike again or a new Mike but its not just Mike or his exciting style they miss, its the fact that he fought often and everyone, all title holders and all challengers, who does that now, the division is boring because people are so afraid to have a loss on their record but Briggs, Maskaev and Klitschko are proof that there is life in a career after a loss.

Now I know Foreman was a slugger but in actuality he was THE SLUGGER and if anyone EVER IN THE HISTORY OF BOXING wanted to stand toe to toe with him they were dead in the water!!!

Foreman ducked one guy and really can't shame him for that because that guy was Earnie "The Acorn" Shavers and he mainly dodged him in his comeback.

Your wrong! Ruddock wasn't just a SLUGGER he was a decent boxer with a good jab, look at his early fights setting up that hybrid left-hook-uppercut with a real good jab, he was boxing Bone crusher Smith's ear off, I'm not saying he was Willie Pep or Ray Robinson, but he wasn't some wild swinging slugger. His brutal K.O. of Michael Dokes was scary, Dokes looked like he was dead, slumped against the ropes motionless. Ruddock later in his career tried to depend on his power, rather than set the pace with his jab and counter punch. As for Foreman ducking Shavers in his comeback, you better get your facts straight, Shavers retired after 1983, Foreman didn't comeback until 1987, Shavers made a brief comeback in 1995( I guess he saw all the sucess and money Foreman was having and decided to try a comeback also) He won a decision over a nobody then got sparked in the 1st rd by Brian Yates who was knocked out by just about everyone he fought. So that pretty much tells you how a Foreman -Shavers fight would have ended. Foreman would have destroyed Shavers in there primes. I gotta school you too Lyle? And yes I think Tyson ducked Foreman in the early ninties, they were even selling TYSON VS FORMAN T-shirts on Broad an Snyder in South Philly the summer of 1990, there was way too much money to be made by them fighting each other for it not to come off,....so Tyson had to be SCARED, it just don't make any sense for the fight not to come off.
    I want one of those T-shirts!!!!
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your wrong! Ruddock wasn't just a SLUGGER he was a decent boxer with a good jab, look at his early fights setting up that hybrid left-hook-uppercut with a real good jab, he was boxing Bone crusher Smith's ear off, I'm not saying he was Willie Pep or Ray Robinson, but he wasn't some wild swinging slugger. His brutal K.O. of Michael Dokes was scary, Dokes looked like he was dead, slumped against the ropes motionless. Ruddock later in his career tried to depend on his power, rather than set the pace with his jab and counter punch. As for Foreman ducking Shavers in his comeback, you better get your facts straight, Shavers retired after 1983, Foreman didn't comeback until 1987, Shavers made a brief comeback in 1995( I guess he saw all the sucess and money Foreman was having and decided to try a comeback also) He won a decision over a nobody then got sparked in the 1st rd by Brian Yates who was knocked out by just about everyone he fought. So that pretty much tells you how a Foreman -Shavers fight would have ended. Foreman would have destroyed Shavers in there primes. I gotta school you too Lyle? And yes I think Tyson ducked Foreman in the early ninties, they were even selling TYSON VS FORMAN T-shirts on Broad an Snyder in South Philly the summer of 1990, there was way too much money to be made by them fighting each other for it not to come off,....so Tyson had to be SCARED, it just don't make any sense for the fight not to come off.
    I want one of those T-shirts!!!!
    Hulk I still have mine in storage some where

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was old news that Tyson wouldn't fight Foreman with good reason...but there others as well, Morrison, Mercer, Tua all big money fights that Tyson did NOT want...Styles make fights and anyone who knows anything about Cus D'Amato fighters understands that a D'Amato fighter does NOT fight going backwards and Tyson would have never fou

ght anyone who would force him backwards...remember Patterson/Liston? Patterson was another one of Cus' fighters and he learned his lesson...Also, notice how Tyson never fought a Lou Duva trained fighter? (well Holyfield, but that was well after Lou was gone same with Golota)...Lou knew exactly how to beat Tyson and that's why Duva was calling Mike out like crazy...
    I don't think he wanted any of Tua, maybe Mercer either, but MORRISON?! Now, Tommy was a gutsy guy with pop, but chinny too. Mike woulda eaten him alive.
    Not saying Morrison beats Tyson, but the style was dangerous and the Tyson camp knew it...Put it this way, why would Mike Tyson turn down the first $100 million dollar purse to fight Morrison if it would have been easy?...Remeber the Morrison camp was calling for a fight and Mike "dismissed" them, why? to face Buster Douglas?!?!?
    Tyson and Morrison were set to fight dude.

But Morrison got HIV. NOT JOKING!

You guys are going to crazy with this "TYSON DUCKED!" stuff.

Tyson also ducked the guy who worked at the gas station too. heh
    "Tyson and Morrison were set to fight dude.", lol...where did you get this information The Rocky website? Tyson was too busy fighting McNeeley,Mathis Bruno and Seldon, to grab his "titles"...If I recall correctly when Morrison's name came up Mike dismissed him as "fragile" and chose to sign a fight with Bruno...Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing to my knowledge was ever signed between the Tyson and Morrison camps...IMO, after prison the Tyson people were not going to fight anyone they thought was going to fight back if they could help it...
    They were set to fight. It said so after the replay of Morrison vs Foreman on "Legends of the Ring", hosted by Michal Buffer on the Vs. Network. But the whole AIDS thing got in the way.
    Sorry to become a dose of reality but just one peek at boxrec will show you otherwise...Tyson was in jail when Morrison beat Foreman(1993) and when Mike did get out he was busy with guys like McNeeley, Mathis, Norris,Seldon and of course Evander...The name of Morrison might have been used for the dramatic effect of your tv show but nothing was ever signed, people were "talking" Tyson/Morrison back in 1991!

Not to get off subject, the Tyson camp knew which fighters to avoid because styles do make fghts and "come forward" pressure fighters that were larger than mike were specifically avoided...
    Whatever. I know what it said on the show, I've seen the episode twice. If you had ever seen the show you would know its a pretty good source. So stuff the condescending attitutde buddy.
    I don't mean to be condescending ... but there was never any fight "set" it was just talk with nothing ever signed...
    My source is Tommy Morrison himself, in an interview based on a "Where are then now?" article.

I can't find the link, but Tommy talked about it at length.

But dude, your source is YOUR BELIEF that Tyson wouldn't fight anybody "who fought back."

Pretty stupid source.
    Well it's pretty obvious you have never read anything I've posted on the subject...Cus D'Amato fighters can only fight one way and that coming forward, it's a fact....When pushed backward they don't even through punches because all of the leverage is derived from moving forward(they throw off of their lead leg)...Watch early Tyson and Patterson fights and they bare this point out...now look at the loses of both fighters(Tyson and Patterson) and you will see it's true...

Since styles make fights it becomes obvious as to the types of fighters Tyson would not fight if he didn't have to...Later Holyfield showed exactly how to beat Tyson and gave everybody the blueprint to do it. Duva gave Holyfield that blueprint years ago and Evander remembered it and even though he was well past his prime Holyfield made it look reasonably easy( of course Tyson was no where near the fighter he was either)...As to the "fighting back" part that has to be taken in the context of where Mike was in his career, but reading the book "Fire and Fear" will give you a lot of insight as to the psyche of Mike Tyson...

Why did Tyson pass up what would have been the biggest fights in history against Foreman and Morrison to fight no-bodies? Ray Mercer called Tyson out continually and would have been another huge $$$ fight and yet no fight...

Getting back on point...There was never anything signed between Tyson and Morrison, NEVER...I don't doubt that Morrison thought he was getting a shot at Mike one day but until something is signed its hoping...Listen to fighters in any class they always talk of promises made and "we"re gonna fight this guy and that"...but the fact is there was plenty of chances for Tyson to beat on the " fragile" (Tyson's words) Tommy Morrison but he chose to fight slobs instead...Just look read the facts and stop believing everything you see/hear on the TV...remember Tyson also promised Holyfield several times early in their career and nothing happened....Finally when something did get signed Tyson went away...

El Kabong Guest

Your wrong! Ruddock wasn't just a SLUGGER he was a decent boxer with a good jab, look at his early fights setting up that hybrid left-hook-uppercut with a real good jab, he was boxing Bone crusher Smith's ears off, I'm not saying he was Willie Pep or Ray Robinson, but he wasn't some wild swinging slugger. His brutal K.O. of Michael Dokes was scary, Dokes looked like he was dead, slumped against the ropes motionless. Ruddock later in his career tried to depend on his power, rather than set the pace with his jab and counter punch. As for Foreman ducking Shavers in his comeback, you better get your facts straight, Shavers retired after 1983, Foreman didn't comeback until 1987, Shavers made a brief comeback in 1995( I guess he saw all the sucess and money Foreman was having and decided to give it a try) He won a decision over a nobody then got sparked in the 1st rd by Brian Yates who was knocked out by just about everyone he fought. So that pretty much tells you how a Foreman -Shavers fight would have ended. Foreman would have destroyed Shavers in there primes. I gotta school you too Lyle? And yes I think Tyson ducked Foreman in the early ninties, they were even selling TYSON VS FORMAN T-shirts on Broad an Snyder in South Philly the summer of 1990, there was way too much money to be made by them fighting each other for it not to come off,....so Tyson had to be SCARED, it just don't make any sense for the fight not to happen.
    VS Mike Tyson did Rudduck try to box?

Either way Foreman didn't want to fight Shavers....I think he would have beat Shavers because Earnie could give it but he couldn't take it and George could.

I said Tyson was scared of George...I don't know who you're trying to disagree with there?

Show me a fighter who wasn't scared of Foreman....hell even Holyfield got checked and had to box more and that was vs a 40 some year old Foreman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Either way Foreman didn't want to fight Shavers....I think he would have beat Shavers because Earnie could give it but he couldn't take it and George could.

I said Tyson was scared of George...I don't know who you're trying to disagree with there?

Show me a fighter who wasn't scared of Foreman....hell even Holyfield got checked and had to box more and that was vs a 40 some year old Foreman
    You said it...not me, that Foreman ducked Shavers in his comeback and that never happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You said it...not me, that Foreman ducked Shavers in his comeback and that never happened.
    In his comeback Foreman only avoided "boxers" because he knew he would not be able to chase a good one down...Big George would only take fights with fighters he thought would try and trade with him and not "stick and move" guys...as for avoiding the "Acorn" during the comeback that is possible only from the respect that George would have nothing to gain from that fight as Sharvers was only known to hardcore boxing fans and Ernie did pose a real danger in his punching power...Remember George did take a chance with Gerry Cooney who was a huge hitter because it put Foreman back on the national stage, a fight with Ernie would have generated little interest from the media..If it would have meant a title shot, George would have certainly taken a fight with Shavers as Ernie is/was custom made for Big George...

El Kabong Guest

OK atomic bull here you go....make sure you watch the whole thing

[youtube=425,350]lynaz2PB-Co[/youtube]

ICB Guest

OK atomic bull here you go....make sure you watch the whole thing

[youtube=425,350]lynaz2PB-Co[/youtube]
    nice enjoyed that cc

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cant believe he's a doorman at Yates?!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

El Kabong Guest

....So the video proves I am right?

I'm expecting an apology

I'll wait all day if I have to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

....So the video proves I am right?

I'm expecting an apology

OKAY, So the video claims BOTH!!! Foreman and Frazier refused to fight Earnie, do you really believe that?.....I don't, ...then the claim that in the 90's both Tyson and Foreman were afraid to get in the ring with Shavers...give me a break. Like I posted earlier, Shavers didn't fight after 1983 but once in 1987, then returned to the ring in 1995 to win 1 and got starched in the 1st rd by a nobody named Brian Yates whose record was unbelievably BAD!! So why would Foreman and Tyson be afraid. Remember that Ron Stander knocked out a prime Shavers. Just like the clip that I seen saying that in 1970 Foreman was in L.A. and sparred with Jerry Quarry and SUPPOSEDLY Quarry beat Foreman around the ring, and that Foreman never wanted to fight Quarry,....avoided him like the plague. And think about this....when Quarry and Shavers met in Dec of 73 the winner was to get Foreman next, so Quarry wins with a 1st rd K.O. and never gets the shot, ...why I don't know, but I really don't think Foreman was scared of Quarry. Jerry had a heart of a lion, but he also had paper thin skin and would have stood in front of Foreman and it would have been just a matter of time before Jerry's skin or Chin would have given out. But a good clip about Shavers anyway I enjoyed it, but was it me or was Shavers hard to understand at the first few minutes of the clip? Anyway Lyle I'll give you a cc

I'll wait all day if I have to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle, great vid cc...I think what's being forgotten here is that George was not a dumb fighter (yes even when young)...If Ernie had a title or would have produced a huge payday then a fight would have happened...But there was no real reason for a fight like this to take place other than to prove who was better and George's ego wasn't that big...The only person that had anything to gain was Shavers, thus you could say he was avoided by George...but I prefer to think that it was just that the right moment never came for a fight between them...

Thread Information