Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Overrated/Underrated

Just bored, so who's overrated, who's underrated. Doesn't even have to be fighters really, could be trainers, announcers, whatever.

Overrated

HBO
    Paul Williams--fight somebody
    Miranda's win over Gibbs--Miranda's good but Gibbs was brought in cause he was chinny as hell
    Jorge Arce in a P4P sense--he doesn't fight nearly good enough opposition to be P4P, not even close

Underrated

Showtime
    Floyd Mayweather as an exciting fighter--Sure Baldomir and Castillo 2 were snoozers, but he's not the runner that some people make him out to be
    Jose Luis Castillo--How this guy is not on everybody's top five P4P is beyond me
    James Toney--He started at 160 and just outboxed a 250 pound Sam Peter, yet you almost never see him on P4P lists
    Joel Casamayor-I don't think he is, but you could make a case he's undefeated against very good opposition
    Ignacio Beristain-horrible manager, but a great trainer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Overrated/Underrated

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    Just bored, so who's overrated, who's underrated. Doesn't even have to be fighters really, could be trainers, announcers, whatever.

Overrated

HBO
    Miranda's win over Gibbs--Miranda's good but Gibbs was brought in cause he was chinny as hell
    Jorge Arce in a P4P sense--he doesn't fight nearly good enough opposition to be P4P, not even close

Underrated

Showtime
    Floyd Mayweather as an exciting fighter--Sure Baldomir and Castillo 2 were snoozers, but he's not the runner that some people make him out to be
    Jose Luis Castillo--How this guy is not on everybody's top five P4P is beyond me
    James Toney--He started at 160 and just outboxed a 250 pound Sam Peter, yet you almost never see him on P4P lists
    Joel Casamayor-I don't think he is, but you could make a case he's undefeated against very good opposition

I wouldnt say that Toney is underated, most people respect him hugely as a boxer just really dislike his personality. I pretty much agree with the rest of this list. btw good topic!

Joe Calzaghe needs on the overated list until he steps up his opponents.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan

Overrated

HBO

Underrated

Showtime

I wouldnt say that Toney is underated, most people respect him hugely as a boxer just really dislike his personality. I pretty much agree with the rest of this list. btw good topic!

CC and Calzaghe does deserve to be on the overrated list.

I guess what I mean with Toney is that he doesn't get as much respect as some of his peers. Imagine if Hopkins moved all the way up and outboxed Peter. People would be fawning over him and discussing his place among the alltime greats, where you don't hear quite the same thing with Toney.

People are going to disagree with this but I think Diego Corrales' chin is underrated. He gets knocked down a lot, he gets hit a lot in general, but except for the second Castillo fight he's never been totally out of it. Sure he was knocked down a lot versus Floyd and Casamayor but he was never out on his feet or even that groggy. And the knockdowns against Castillo in the first fight, he wasn't out on his feet by any means, and he took Freitas' shots well. He doesn't have the greatest chin of all time, but its not as glass as some people make it out to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh yeah and your boy Ouma is underated! I do think Taylor clearly beat him, but Ouma showed he was a TOP boxer that night, and pushed the action on to a class boxer.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think Collazo's a bit underrated. Beat Rivera, and, in some people's opinion beat Hatton.

Felix Sturm might be a bit underrated now cause he does have some skills and could surprise somebody. Chin is suspect though.

Valero to me is overrated.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins is overrated to hell on this board, you mention his name in any negetive way and log on the next day with 20 more sad clicks.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    Less than a year ago he "stepped up" and ruined the supposed best fighter in the world at 168.

Hopkins is overrated
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

El Kabong Guest

Hopkins is ok now, he was overrated until he started fighting top tier guys like Trinidad, Taylor, De la Hoya, etc.

Floyd Mayweather Jr is overrated he's nowhere near "The greatest boxer ever" as he described himself.

Diego Corrales is overrated he can't beat Casamayor and he's too fucking tall to not fight on the outside....why fight JLC on the inside? Why not BOX?

El Kabong Guest

For underrated fighters my list is as follows

Calvin Brock, he gave Wladimir Klitschko a good hard fight and showed well at the Mecca of boxing

Zahir Raheem, he's a good tough fighter willing to take risks to further his career

Jorge Barrios, he's a tough mofo and I'd like to see him go at it with JLC or Chico or even Hatton

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle

Calvin Brock, he gave Wladimir Klitschko a good hard fight and showed well at the Mecca of boxing

Zahir Raheem, he's a good tough fighter willing to take risks to further his career

Jorge Barrios, he's a tough mofo and I'd like to see him go at it with JLC or Chico or even Hatton
    I'm not sure if Raheem is underrated, but if he is one of the reasons is he fights like once every two years.

El Kabong Guest

well that's not his fault it's his promoter's fault they didn't get him the fights

Mikkel Kessler is overrated....he hasn't fought ANYONE dangerous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    Hopkins is overrated to hell on this board, you mention his name in any negetive way and log on the next day with 20 more sad clicks.
    CC for you cause that is exactly right.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd Mayweather Jr is overrated he's nowhere near "The greatest boxer ever" as he described himself.
    You are right about it being him, for the most part I don't think fans overrate him, there are exceptions though. I believe it is more a case of his own mind overrating himself, and people saying he isn't the greatest are mostly arguing with Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Raheem take risks?? Wow, are we watching the same fighter?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Collazo looks like he was extremely underrated.

Roy Jones possibly overrated on here. Don't get me wrong skills wise he was top notch, but he falls into the same category as joe clazaghe for me.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Thread Information