Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparred at the end of my workout...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sparred at the end of my workout...

WRONG!

Felt like crap, was slow, hand were down, lazy feet, you name it. As a result, a guy with practically no boxing skills whatsoever landed shots that never would have landed otherwise. I did almost nothing in there.. no bobbing and weaving, no counters, pawed my jab, ducked away instead of shelling up... ziltch. I sucked. The only thing that happened was I was getting pissed off and then almost floored him with a right hand, sent him back a good 5 feet. And this is after I just said that guys who hit inexperienced guys hard in sparring are pricks.

Spar when you're fresh. It's better for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sparred at the end of my workout...

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    WRONG!

Felt like crap, was slow, hand were down, lazy feet, you name it. As a result, a guy with practically no boxing skills whatsoever landed shots that never would have landed otherwise. I did almost nothing in there.. no bobbing and weaving, no counters, pawed my jab, ducked away instead of shelling up... ziltch. I sucked. The only thing that happened was I was getting pissed off and then almost floored him with a right hand, sent him back a good 5 feet. And this is after I just said that guys who hit inexperienced guys hard in sparring are pricks.

I feel you brother ~ nothing worse then a flat outing...I’m glad you stayed with it. ! however its really the best time to work on things, when your tired and don’t want to .. make it a habit to overcome .. that’s will be one of your biggest attributes in the fight game. ... I use that pissed off feeling your talking about and turn it into raw determination factor.. for instance on a nice sunny day I usually run 4 miles. on a rainy cold day.. sleet , snow I run 6 miles. why because it pisses me off and I aint going to let it keep me grounded.. so go that extra mile literally,, just to mentally overcome the negatives. your saying to yourself .. that aint going to hold me back ! and that type of habit comes in handy when its round 7 and your eyes are shut and your fighting on feeling alone with no visual sight of your opponent. ! the ring doctor " how many fingers do I got up" my corner man whisper in my ear 4... I say 4 ! LMFAO !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc my man. I'll keep that in mind!

the worst part though is the effect on your confidence. The guy sucked yet I got hit. I must suck too. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

YOU PRICK! .... And I quote "i hear of these stories and just think what a prick. the guys that run the gym should match you up accordingly. for example, if I was going with a kid smaller and not as experienced, I would work OFF him."

YOU PRICK! (just messin with ya man )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no, you're right! I deserved that. In my own defense though, this guy was at least 60lb heavier than me... a big fat guy with no skills but a decent jab and power he was coing at me a lot harder than I was at him. Finally I had enough and started trying to land some back. But really, I was exhausted and lazy. I shouldn't have gone in.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im on the fence with this, also with it happening to me. I beleive your survival mode stops you from working to hard if you expect this to happen. Youre to busy looking to see how hard the other guys are training ,to make sure youve got that bit more in the tank than them. I think its called common sense I sparred with a top Heavy for 18 month and wanted every edge I could get ,you can bet your last dollar I did.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that's true, but I'll bet that if I was in there with a guy I knew was better than me I would have been much sharper and got my second wind. I took the guy very lightly and was very slow and lazy.

didn't know you were a heavyweight. I tend to think all old men are little.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good one as well, so behave yourself

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    WRONG!

LOL years (MANY YEARS) ago when I first started in boxing there was this a** in the gym who always acted like he was trying to help us younger guy's...and he would always wait untill we were just about done with a full workout then come spar with us...Then take our F'IN heads off....He had us convinced all the big time fighters spar after their workouts .....He was a HW to boot and at the time I was about 150 or so and only 13?.......Kevin Pompey was at the time just getting ready to break into the pro's....He saw what was happening and gave the guy a taste of his own medicine

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love it cant stand bullys they are bottle jobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like to think outside the box, or ring as we say in the gym. I always wonder why coaches do what they do. I would also put the beginner in with an advanced in this situation. I would do this to benefit both fighters perhaps. Both had to push the limits and both left the ring thinking. Good coaching.

OldTownBoxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i disagree that its bad because that way the intensity is ten times harder and it teches u to dig deep now u may lose the sparring match but it will help u when u compete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good arguments both sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    i disagree that its bad because that way the intensity is ten times harder and it teches u to dig deep now u may lose the sparring match but it will help u when u compete

That intensity is something from the inside it is mental not physical...Sparring is not a match...It is not meant to be won or lost. It is meant to develope your craft. Fine tune your skills and work on mistakes...if you egt your ass kicked while doing it shows you what needs to be worked on....to prevent it from happening again...If you are not at your best while doing it then you cheat yourself..You don't know how much of it was you or how much was the fact you were tired?....When was the last time you saw a world champion fight twice in one night so he could prove to the world he was the best champion?...Thats just silly talk....Any trainer or manager that tells you sparring should be done after working out is an idiot who knows nothing....
    I'll let you in on something....There have been thousands of fighters or should I say potential fighters who have has those sparring matches in the gym trying to win....You end up leaving your best in the gym...You end up taking the abuse in the gym that wears you out..Leaving you at your second best in the ring when it counts...Just because you have head gear on doesn't mean your not absorbing shots

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Quote Originally Posted by the phenom

That intensity is something from the inside it is mental not physical...Sparring is not a match...It is not meant to be won or lost. It is meant to develope your craft. Fine tune your skills and work on mistakes...if you egt your a** kicked while doing it shows you what needs to be worked on....to prevent it from happening again...If you are not at your best while doing it then you cheat yourself..You don't know how much of it was you or how much was the fact you were tired?....When was the last time you saw a world champion fight twice in one night so he could prove to the world he was the best champion?...Thats just silly talk....Any trainer or manager that tells you sparring should be done after working out is an idiot who knows nothing....
    I'll let you in on something....There have been thousands of fighters or should I say potential fighters who have has those sparring matches in the gym trying to win....You end up leaving your best in the gym...You end up taking the abuse in the gym that wears you out..Leaving you at your second best in the ring when it counts...Just because you have head gear on doesn't mean your not absorbing shots

i understand u still mad about my wife comment but to me that was jus all in good fun so ima keep this prefesional ........ its true u need to tune ur skills and practice i didnt say spar after practice always . but once in a while its good for u just so you kow how you prefrom when ur tired so ur nt surpised if u do get into a hard fight

Thread Information