Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony offered a million plus to fight Williams!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tony offered a million plus to fight Williams!!!

It's on boxingtalk. Wow, I can't believe that Tony won't take this fight for a million.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Tony offered a million plus to fight Williams!!!

....I wouldn't either, he figures he could make more fighting the winner of De la Hoya-Mayweather Jr......I mean don't you see the $$$$ following that big fight

Margarito COULD fight Paul Williams a VERY dangerous and powerful fighter

OR

Margarito could fight a safer Luis Collazo or Joel Julio

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's not even looking for anyone in Collazo or Julio's league. Collazo is tied up anyways. And he's going after Cotto.

How long before I read a Million Dollar Chicken article?

El Kabong Guest

Cotto is gonna whip Tony's ass!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ....I wouldn't either, he figures he could make more fighting the winner of De la Hoya-Mayweather Jr......I mean don't you see the $$$$ following that big fight

OR

IMO, Tony is going about this all wrong.

Tony isn't being realistic about the Cotto-Margarito fight. How much money do you think Tony is gonna make for the Cotto fight Now that he will have to drop his belt, Cotto will be the champion, Cotto is the draw, Cotto will get the most money. By the way, Cotto only made a million for the Quintana fight. That was his first million dollar fight. It's not like the fighters have been making a ton of money. Tony hasn't even sniffed a million dollar payday in his career and Arum ain't gonna just give him three million when Tony's been making less than half a million for fights. Both fighter's are new to PPV also. It's not like just because Cotto and Margarito are fighting each other the pot for the fighters jumps to ten million. Margarito is still largely unknown and that's his fault because he's been so inactive.

IMO, Tony shouldn't listen to Arum. He needs to remember that Arum is hoping that Cotto becomes the next Felix Trinidad. If Tony doesn't have a belt and Cotto is the draw, what room does Tony have to negotiate Tony should fight Williams on HBO before the Cotto fight to build his reputation up with the public, take the million bucks for the fight, and if he wins then he's got a huge quality win on a HBO broadcast and he's still champion. That automatically makes the Cotto fight a lot bigger than it would be because the general public would have just seen both fighters defend their belts on the same card, Margarito enhances his status because he just beat a guy most perceive to be the future of the division and the fight would be champion versus champion. That means that Margarito and Cotto would probably do a 50-50 split on a much bigger pot.

BTW, if Floyd beats ODLH, he's got much bigger fights than Tony even if Tony beats Cotto, he's got Mosley and Hatton just waiting around to make a megafight. If Oscar beats Floyd, he can take on Winky in a megafight, fight Mosley a third time, or try again to get a Trinidad rematch. Tony should get the money while it's right in front of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006

OR

IMO, Tony is going about this all wrong.

Tony isn't being realistic about the Cotto-Margarito fight. How much money do you think Tony is gonna make for the Cotto fight Now that he will have to drop his belt, Cotto will be the champion, Cotto is the draw, Cotto will get the most money. By the way, Cotto only made a million for the Quintana fight. That was his first million dollar fight. It's not like the fighters have been making a ton of money. Tony hasn't even sniffed a million dollar payday in his career and Arum ain't gonna just give him three million when Tony's been making less than half a million for fights. Both fighter's are new to PPV also. It's not like just because Cotto and Margarito are fighting each other the pot for the fighters jumps to ten million. Margarito is still largely unknown and that's his fault because he's been so inactive.

IMO, Tony shouldn't listen to Arum. He needs to remember that Arum is hoping that Cotto becomes the next Felix Trinidad. If Tony doesn't have a belt and Cotto is the draw, what room does Tony have to negotiate Tony should fight Williams on HBO before the Cotto fight to build his reputation up with the public, take the million bucks for the fight, and if he wins then he's got a huge quality win on a HBO broadcast and he's still champion. That automatically makes the Cotto fight a lot bigger than it would be because the general public would have just seen both fighters defend their belts on the same card, Margarito enhances his status because he just beat a guy most perceive to be the future of the division and the fight would be champion versus champion. That means that Margarito and Cotto would probably do a 50-50 split on a much bigger pot.

BTW, if Floyd beats ODLH, he's got much bigger fights than Tony even if Tony beats Cotto, he's got Mosley and Hatton just waiting around to make a megafight. If Oscar beats Floyd, he can take on Winky in a megafight, fight Mosley a third time, or try again to get a Trinidad rematch. Tony should get the money while it's right in front of him.
    RE: comment on the bold above..

what if he lose to Williams ? who is Williams at this point time ?? and we both know that Williams would more then likely beat Tony down something fierce. a loss to Cotto might not be as damning as a loss to Williams, at this point? either way I don't see Tony beating either guy.. he is just too slow , methodical and predictable.

excellent post mate ! lots of good points there ! . #121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

come on guy's, its bob arum who matchmakes for both cotto and tony, you seriously dont think bob will let tony fight williams before his summer showdown with his 2 champions, its not the fighter who you blame its his managment. i dont agree with this though because id fancy tony to ko williams very easily.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another example of a career destroyed by Arum and inactivity, that's all I see here.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Another example of a career destroyed by Arum and inactivity, that's all I see here.
    hmmm maybe, not if he can beat cotto though and i think he has morew than a 50-50 chance of doing so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OR

Margarito could fight a safer MORE DANGEROUS Luis Collazo or Joel Julio
    I fixed your typo Lyle
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

margarito is a buster and wish him and everybody else would stop riding the cintron fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'The Boxer'
    margarito is a buster and wish him and everybody else would stop riding the cintron fight.
    maybe so but if he gets the job done against cotto then theres o doubt its true what the majority of knowledgable boxing fans know, that he's the best fighter in the 147 division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tommygunn
    Quote Originally Posted by 'The Boxer'
    maybe so but if he gets the job done against cotto then theres o doubt its true what the majority of knowledgable boxing fans know, that he's the best fighter in the 147 division.
    he ain't the best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tommygunn
    come on guy's, its bob arum who matchmakes for both cotto and tony, you seriously dont think bob will let tony fight williams before his summer showdown with his 2 champions, its not the fighter who you blame its his managment. i dont agree with this though because id fancy tony to ko williams very easily.
    This is exactly what I'm saying, Tony isn't even the recognized champion at 147 right now, he's just a beltholder. By the time the Cotto fight rolls around, he won't even have a belt. It will be Cotto the champ vs a tough contender. Not champion versus champion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony and any of his fans that are defending this nonsense are huge hypocrites.

So it was such a "chicken" move for PBF to turn down a fight against Margarito in order to fight for THE SAME MONEY against THE LINEAR WELTER WEIGHT CHAMPION when he had a $15 MILLION FIGHT AGAINST OSCAR waiting for him next,

but it's totally legit for Tony to turn down a fight against Williams, for far more money than he's ever made in his career, in order to fight a "tune up" for WAY LESS MONEY against a NO-NAME CHUMP when he has a fight AGAINST COTTO FOR NOT MUCH MORE MONEY THAN HE'D GET VS. WILLIAMS waiting for him next??

Could a Margarito fan please make these two things consistent for me?

Thread Information