Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cus D'Amato Peek a boo style

Hi, I'm trying to practice the peek a boo style to enhance my defense. I'm 5'11 and weigh 185 pounds. I never understood the leg positioning for this stance...It would help a lot if you guys explained it to me. Also, what are some pro's and con's for this style? Comments are welcome!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cus D'Amato Peek a boo style

All styles have succeses what you dont here about are the failures. People with good foot movement are the ones that are usually the successfull ones. H2o Ice solid slow moving when hit brakes, Water flows at speed when hit reforms, Air what you hit when you miss but can become a Hurricane. Which one do you fancy.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

try it and see if it works for you. I try things all the time.... some work, some don't. Everyone develops their own unique style over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're gonna try the Peek-A-Boo, I'd suggest having massive Tyson-like forearms to throw up in front of your head, and a punch that scares people enough to make them want to box you from a distance.

I know it worked for Patterson too. But that was a different era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went through a stage feeling out what styles i was comfortable using..
    Peek a boo certainly wasnt for me.. It works ok when going for a left hook.. But if i over did it that i would come down and bang my head on people's knee's and hips..
    To be honest i wouldnt ever advise taking up other peoples styles or trying to model yourself around something else..Do what works for you.. Then worry about it looking good..
    And if it looks like another person's style..Fair play to you..If not then theres nowt wrong with bieng unique.. lol
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I generally keep both gloves on my cheeks at the same time, kinda like when tyson would come out from after giving a guy a standing 8. if I don't do it that way, my jab sucks and I drop my hand after I throw it. for some reason the only time I bring it straight back is when I START it from my cheek. This way also allows me to get inside easier since if I get hit it's only glove. Then I can work the body, which is my strenght. Bodty shots are my bread and butter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The real idea behind that stance is in slipping punches and countering. If you stand in this squared up manner but aren't using slips as your primary way to defend against punches then you are going to be hit a great deal. Just blocking shots on your gloves will still deliver a good amount of force despite the fact you blocked it. I would recommend watching Julio Cesar Chavez more than any of the D'amato fighters. As far as this particular style goes Chavez was, in my mind, the most effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that's true, but playing d's advocate, you can't get in the habit of being a stationary target REGARDLES of your style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt this will work for you. You have enough height to use your range. If your tight, you invite your friend in. Why? Only if you want to work on the inside.

Old Town Boxing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dont copy styles to the letter it restricts all reason and thought which is dangerous to evolousionary process. My uncle Albert told me that, and I trust my uncle Albert.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My dad used to say of hall of fame baseball player Rod Carew, he had a different batting stance for every pitcher he faced. It was an exaggeration, yes, but it made a clear point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right i was thinking the other night about this topic...
    And im assuming due to the d'amato named topic its the tyson roll and lunge kinda style you mean...
    But i was under the impression the peekaboo style was the very awkward and careful defensive style that alot of fighters have...
    I remember a fighter called sugar boy malinga who they used to say had a peekaboo defensive style..
    As in hands held very high and up all the time and would throw strait shots and hands strait back up..
    Much like a sort of winky wright kindof thing.. But without winky's rather long arms?
    Anyone know of what im talking bout? lol
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Dont copy styles to the letter it restricts all reason and thought which is dangerous to evolousionary process. My uncle Albert told me that, and I trust my uncle Albert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    True that...
    Pretty much if you cant put scraps words to meaning it means you cant copy styles exactly because you have to adapt to whats good for you and you can't grow with your own style if its not yours in the first place i guess.. But cc for getting me thinking scrap!!
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Imitating to me doesnt give the same results as originating. You dont start with the same pscyhe so you wont finish with it, I am that , This is that , You are that

Thread Information