Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Judges?

Just a quick query you you all out there. What does it take to become a judge in boxing? I often wonder this when I've seen some amazing decisions, Lewis vs Holyfield and some Ottke decisions spring to mind.
    How is it possible for a woman to judge a fight? No I'm not being sexist, just that I don't see how anyone who has never fought before can judge a boxing match, so I guess it also goes for those male judges who have never even stepped inside a ring.
    I mentioned this to one of my friends who isn't into boxing and he thought that it made sense in that they just awarded points depending on who they thought won the round.
    But anyone here who has been unfortunate enough to speak about boxing to those who don't have a clue will realize that there is so much more going in in a fight than can be seen by the "layman". ie those who start booing and hollering after 2 minutes of a fight because both boxers arn't killing each other.
    This is even stranger because boxing is a skill and an art and needs to be judged by a knowing eye!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Judges?

Quote Originally Posted by sanj16
    Just a quick query you you all out there. What does it take to become a judge in boxing? I often wonder this when I've seen some amazing decisions, Lewis vs Holyfield and some Ottke decisions spring to mind.
    How is it possible for a woman to judge a fight? No I'm not being sexist, just that I don't see how anyone who has never fought before can judge a boxing match, so I guess it also goes for those male judges who have never even stepped inside a ring.
    I mentioned this to one of my friends who isn't into boxing and he thought that it made sense in that they just awarded points depending on who they thought won the round.
    But anyone here who has been unfortunate enough to speak about boxing to those who don't have a clue will realize that there is so much more going in in a fight than can be seen by the "layman". ie those who start booing and hollering after 2 minutes of a fight because both boxers arn't killing each other.
    This is even stranger because boxing is a skill and an art and needs to be judged by a knowing eye!!!
    from what I've heard the judges have to go through testing to become certified....they actually watch fights and score them and then get graded on how the did with the scoring.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No wonder we have so many amazing decisions, esp in Germany!!!

SigmaMu Guest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    I think this site below has one of the most comprehensive list of articles regarding that matter:

http://www.secondsout.com/Ringside/maven.cfm

Great site if you can manage to get around it. Has some gem topics/articles scatterd thru out.
    Thanx for the info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    I think this site below has one of the most comprehensive list of articles regarding that matter:

http://www.secondsout.com/Ringside/maven.cfm

Great site if you can manage to get around it. Has some gem topics/articles scatterd thru out.
    cool site.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also The new Ring Magizine(extra) has an article about becoming a ref or a judge. Its the last article in the magizine. I think it is written by the Fight doctor.

Thread Information