Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Recovery from a broken hand

Hi Everyone!

I recently broke the fifth metacaprel in my right hand, otherwise known as the boxers fracture. A friend referred me to this site for advice as i'm now living in a non-english speaking country, Korea to be precise, and i haven't a clue how to start my recovery. I'm having physical therapy which consists of placing my hand in parafin wax, then having an ultrasound over my finger, then having electric pulses across the same section. The guy who usually translates for our school is away for two months which makes things really difficult as i can't ask the simplest of questions like what i should be doing at home, how long before i can start lifting in a gym again, why am i putting my hand in wax!!! etc, etc.

So, i thought i would come here to see if anyone has had a similar injury, and ask for some advice or tips as it is greatly needed and appreciated!!

Cheers in advance guys!
    dean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Recovery from a broken hand

I had the same injury about 25 yrs ago. It happened during a karate breaking demo (the boards weren't the only thing that broke). Anyway I went to the Dr. the next day, he took an x-ray and then put this sort of metal finger over my little finger and then taped up my hand so that it was immobilized. I wore this for 6 weeks and then got the go ahead to start to resume normal activity. I just took it real easy at first and never had any problems with it since then. I don't remember if the Dr. suggested any strengthening exercises and I know there was no mention of physical therapy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Canvasback
    I had the same injury about 25 yrs ago. It happened during a karate breaking demo (the boards weren't the only thing that broke). Anyway I went to the Dr. the next day, he took an x-ray and then put this sort of metal finger over my little finger and then taped up my hand so that it was immobilized. I wore this for 6 weeks and then got the go ahead to start to resume normal activity. I just took it real easy at first and never had any problems with it since then. I don't remember if the Dr. suggested any strengthening exercises and I know there was no mention of physical therapy.
    yeah...and that is about it....the bone is now stronger at the break point....which just means it will break above or below the break if it was to happen again......Not to mention the early onset of arthritis....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by deancrawford
    Hi Everyone!

I recently broke the fifth metacaprel in my right hand, otherwise known as the boxers fracture. A friend referred me to this site for advice as i'm now living in a non-english speaking country, Korea to be precise, and i haven't a clue how to start my recovery. I'm having physical therapy which consists of placing my hand in parafin wax, then having an ultrasound over my finger, then having electric pulses across the same section. The guy who usually translates for our school is away for two months which makes things really difficult as i can't ask the simplest of questions like what i should be doing at home, how long before i can start lifting in a gym again, why am i putting my hand in wax!!! etc, etc.

So, i thought i would come here to see if anyone has had a similar injury, and ask for some advice or tips as it is greatly needed and appreciated!!

Cheers in advance guys!
    dean.
    Been about 20 years since I had my break...

Got it from fighting, it was bad enough I had to have surgery.

But, without surgery.....I would suggest that you start your therapy now by just working your fingers...Simple movements, nothing strenuous. Then goto working a soft ball...after a few days of this you will feel the difference. Depending on your age and the severity of the break, you need to be careful until you know for sure that the bone is fully healed...

To tell you the truth,

I bowled at the local bowling alley when I went from my cast to a brace, it helped out alot with my hand strength and made recovery alot faster for me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dean, just to add a bit more to boxing coaches suggestions.

Early natural movement's good - watch out for over inwards rotation when you flex your little finger. Buy climber's putty to strengthen grip. Work your index, ring and little fingers together (3 finger grip - without your pointing finger).
    Test your little finger's strength by comparing with the other one - keeping them straight press down on the nail. You'll probably find that the injured one can't stay straight and feels weaker. Get a small pliable elastic band and link up the thumb and little finger then straighten to full extension (opposite of a grip).

Let me know how you get on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Bigragu, what your saying is that if you break any bone in your body, it will heal back stronger?

Thread Information