All I gotta say is

Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anyone see Rashad Evans fight??

I agree...his performace was, overall, extremely lackluster :P

In full disclosure, I've hated Rashad since day one. He was a mediocre fighter at best that always seemed to win on TUF when his opponents really should have beaten him. I felt Imes actually won their fight, except that he got knocked down a few times (knocked down, not out and not hurt, and last time I checked, knock downs don't count in the UFC per se[in the boxing sense]). However, I was very impressed in his fight with Lambert.

Now....he just plain old sucked in this fight. His striking was piss poor (all desperation shots). His defense was terrible. He was taken down at will, and had no defense on the ground. Definate kudos to him for standing back up, though, without taking too much damage.

I don't honestly believe either fighter was gassing too hard to make that much of a difference. Maybe I'm being a Monday morning quarterback, but Rashad's high kick was horribly telegraphed. It definately landed cleanly, but outside of the knee beforehand, his stand up was terrible. Salmon had none of his games, and was far more effective with his strikes. Rashad landed a knee and a high kick, nothing else worth mentioning.

So kudos to Rashad for the win, and his attempting to strike. But attempting to strike doesn't mean that you CAN strike. Any idiot will land a high kick every now and then. Until Rashad is able to effectively and efficiently land his strikes, I won't be hopping on his bandwagon. The guy still has TONS of potential, but this fight proved, to me at least, that he still has a lot of work to do.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D
    I agree...his performace was, overall, extremely lackluster :P

In full disclosure, I've hated Rashad since day one. He was a mediocre fighter at best that always seemed to win on TUF when his opponents really should have beaten him. I felt Imes actually won their fight, except that he got knocked down a few times (knocked down, not out and not hurt, and last time I checked, knock downs don't count in the UFC per se[in the boxing sense]). However, I was very impressed in his fight with Lambert.

Now....he just plain old sucked in this fight. His striking was piss poor (all desperation shots). His defense was terrible. He was taken down at will, and had no defense on the ground. Definate kudos to him for standing back up, though, without taking too much damage.

I don't honestly believe either fighter was gassing too hard to make that much of a difference. Maybe I'm being a Monday morning quarterback, but Rashad's high kick was horribly telegraphed. It definately landed cleanly, but outside of the knee beforehand, his stand up was terrible. Salmon had none of his games, and was far more effective with his strikes. Rashad landed a knee and a high kick, nothing else worth mentioning.

So kudos to Rashad for the win, and his attempting to strike. But attempting to strike doesn't mean that you CAN strike. Any idiot will land a high kick every now and then. Until Rashad is able to effectively and efficiently land his strikes, I won't be hopping on his bandwagon. The guy still has TONS of potential, but this fight proved, to me at least, that he still has a lot of work to do.
    Take apart the weaknesses and I could probably do the same thing to discredit any win in the UFC.

Can you do it without being biased?

He impressed me on that fight. He wasn't the Rashad Evans that I saw on TUF he was a lot better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's look at it and let the people that see this(before youtube removes it) an opinion

[youtube=425,350]01N3-bY_BYY[/youtube]

Here's the shot

[youtube=425,350]ahk3YEQ2LD0[/youtube]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

beautiful kick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually missed that fight, thanks for posting it man have CC on . I have been following Evans since he was on TUF2 I actually wanted him to win from the first episode I of that season because he was the underdog. When I first saw him I was like "this guy is fighting in the HW division" he should drops some pounds and move down to LH. Needless to say he did end up winning maybe not in dramatic fashion but he did get the W. I think he has allot of potential but like one of the other poster he still needs allot of work. I hope he keeps winning though and gets better with each fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I was trying to be biased, I wouldn't have said I've always hated him.

I can't honestly see how anyone can think he was having a GOOD fight before the knockout. The first round was EASILY Salmon's. All Rashad did was stand up from takedowns a few times, but wasn't really able to PREVENT the takedown. Not good when one of his strengths has always been cited as his "superior wrestling." He was also clearly outstruck in the first round, and inflicted no damage whatsoever. He definately won the second, even before the kick, but the kick and previous knee were his only real accomplishments in that fight.

Anybody can see Rashad has pretty amazing potential, but don't let that fool you into thinking that he's already anything more than a mediocre fighter. He's definately a potential FUTURE champion, but right now, he has a LOT of work to do.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D
    If I was trying to be biased, I wouldn't have said I've always hated him.

I can't honestly see how anyone can think he was having a GOOD fight before the knockout. The first round was EASILY Salmon's. All Rashad did was stand up from takedowns a few times, but wasn't really able to PREVENT the takedown. Not good when one of his strengths has always been cited as his "superior wrestling." He was also clearly outstruck in the first round, and inflicted no damage whatsoever. He definately won the second, even before the kick, but the kick and previous knee were his only real accomplishments in that fight.

Anybody can see Rashad has pretty amazing potential, but don't let that fool you into thinking that he's already anything more than a mediocre fighter. He's definately a potential FUTURE champion, but right now, he has a LOT of work to do.
    And you could say Rashad is a slow starter. HE lost the first but by the second he had the person figured out and was winning the second easily and finished it with a knockout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could say that, but I don't honestly think that was this case this time. Granted, Rashad definately IS a slow starter, but he's also a slow middle and slow finisher. All his strikes were pretty much "desperation" moves that are either hit and win, or miss and lose. Unfortunately, Salmon wasn't able to take advantage of the missed kicks like he should have.

Basically, it looked to me like Rashad learned some new tricks, and thought he was Ramon Dekkars or something. He found out quickly he wasn't, but kept it up. He then managed to land a relatively sloppy kick (hands WAY down, almost seemed off balance, and it was pretty telegraphed. But it did land cleaner than all hell) against a tired opponent.

So as I've been saying, he's definately improved, but he definately has a LOT more improving to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes u are definitly right about the telegraghed right hands and kicks he through like 5 straight rights in a row. chuck lidell would have counter punched and knocked him out

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the 1st time I see Rashad fight I can't say I'm impressed cause I'm not he looked OK but I saw nothing special....
    I agree I could see his right hand coming a mile away....

Not only that but Salomon started breathing heavily within 3 min. of the 1st round and IMO looked tired....

Looking at that kick as I mentioned it before MMA has to make some type of rule where once a fighter falls like this and lands out cold, fighters should NOT be allowed to continue to hit/attack now it might not need a new rule possibly just remind the ref's. to jump in there as soon as possible or follow the action VERY closely so that fighters don't take unecessary punches. Too many times I've seen fighters out cold and they still absorb up to 5 or maybe 6 punches that they did not need to take....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meh...Yes and no. Problem with that is that you run into a situation where a guy gets knocked DOWN by a punch/kick, and the ref stops the fight, even though the guy was fine. Either that, or the guy knocks the other fighter down, and doesn't pursue. The fight ISN'T called, and the hurt fighter has time to recover because the other fighter isn't allowed to follow through. For anyone who saw it on the undercard, Petz v Morgan is an EXCELLENT example of this. Petz REPEATEDLY knocked Morgan on his ass, but didn't follow through with strikes, because he (presumably) thought the fight was over. It was never called. Instead, he wound up getting a 10-7 round, and pretty much the most lopsided decision in the history of the UFC.

You can only do so much to protect these fighters. I see nothing wrong with hitting a downed fighter. You keep fighting until the ref stops you. It's like in all other sports....play to the whistle. The ref's do the best they can to step in, but if they take even just one second to step in, that could EASILY be two or three punches landed on an out opponent. I guess sometimes you just have to leave it to the discretion of the fighter on whether or not to follow through on a knockdown. Sometimes they make the wrong choice and beat on a guy who is already out, sometimes they make the wrong choice and allow a merely stunned fighter to recover, and sometimes they make the right call and the fight is ended without further injury.

Thread Information