Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy Jones Jr. VS. Michael Nunn

Back at Super Middleweight in the early 90s could have been a great fight. Nunn had talent that could nearly rival Jones imo, but that TKO loss to James Toney sent his career in a downspiral imo along with his mentality. Remember he was beating Toney handily until that point. Would he have the same fate against Jones or could he have given him problems? Id pick Jones by late TKO.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy Jones Jr. VS. Michael Nunn

I don't seeing this being a problem for Jones at all... He was faster than Nunn, and he hit harder than Toney. Also Nunn wasn't IMO totally dominating Toney the way some people see it... he was having a hard time finding Toney while Jones was doing it easier. Also Toney was hitting Nunn way more than he hit Jones even in the early rounds he was able to counter Nunn... IMO JOnes ko's Nunn in 7. At least if its before he went to LHW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a great great fight if you put Nunn of 1988 who fought Tate vs. Jones who fought Toney. I would have to go with Jones since he had the power, but Nunn was southpaw. Great fight. Nunn was like Curry.. If you take one or two years of their career they were almost unbeatable. then they fell apart.. Almost like one small thing goes wrong and that sort of get their rhythm off just a little, and that is all it took for a hole to get in their defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    I don't seeing this being a problem for Jones at all... He was faster than Nunn, and he hit harder than Toney. Also Nunn wasn't IMO totally dominating Toney the way some people see it... he was having a hard time finding Toney while Jones was doing it easier. Also Toney was hitting Nunn way more than he hit Jones even in the early rounds he was able to counter Nunn... IMO JOnes ko's Nunn in 7. At least if its before he went to LHW.
    Yeah...as much as I like Nunn he would get "nunn" love from RJJ! RJJ KO's Nunn via Toney.
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as much as I think Roy had the goods of any great fighter he just didn't fight the cream of the crop the way he should have. Even fighting an old Tommy Hearns and then Michael Nunn. Those names on his resume would have helped.. Do I think he would have beaten Tommy in 1996?? who knows. Tommy still had the jab. Now I think Jones would beat a 48 year old Hearns, but Tommy really has no reason to be near a ring now except to watch fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nunn was a very good amatuer.
    jones by ko.....not tko

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pre-drugs Nunn was a beast.

He was as good of a fighter as you could possibly ask for and he had all the tools to be around for a long time but drugs did him in. Very fast, amazing reflexes, excellent defense, footwork and he was a southpaw and a smart fighter with legit power. I'd take a P4P Nunn to beat a young RJ by decision.

But once he got into drugs, he lost to Toney and obviously he couldn't retire. Sad sad story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Jones Jr would be too awkward even for the brilliantly skilled Nunn.

I see a late TKO for Jones Jr.

The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jones jr. 9 rd.tko over nunn
    jones jr. would eat nunn alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy would probably beat Nunn. Although the Nunn of 1988 and 1989 was pretty good. Nunn and Roy had good speed. Nunn southpaw and Jones power. But Jones delivery with punches was faster than Nunn who sort of pitty patted. Jones by decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It isn't that Nunn was not a good fighter he was, but Jones was great. There is no way to say he wasn't.. Jones was such a fast puncher with power and he was dominant. Nunn just did not have the whole tolls of Jones. I do think that Nunn of 1989 would have been a good matchup with Jones, but Jones pulls it out with a unanimous or split decision.

ICB Guest

Nunn was great fighter he would of caused problems for Jones but Jones still would of won imo he has bit more than Nunn in nearly every department.

Thread Information