Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ass kicked in sparring

So it was my fourth sprring session last night and the so called 'non-existant' right hook landed on the side of my head 3 times. Every time it hit my vision would all go white for a second (that normal?) and I was on the defensive for the rest of the rounds.
    Ive fought guys that throw lots of straight punches and have learnt to defend against them but this guy was doing lots of hooks and I just couldnt see em coming.

At the end of the fight he said I should lower my guard so that I can see the hooks coming and can dodge them. Makes sense but then I would be eating all the straight shots.

I feel like crap mentally now and have lost all my confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: a** kicked in sparring

Jeez! - if I allowed myself to feel demoralized every time I got my a** kicked in sparring I'd never ever continue with the sport but I've been sparring better fighters than myself for several years now.

I have never ever met anyone who didn't get their a** kicked a lot when they began and even the best fighters I know (and really admire, respect want to be etc etc) all have off days occasionally.

The up side of this humbling sport is you can enjoy the little victories more. When I spar I might not be 'beating' my opponent but if i manage to block something I usually struggle with or land something I couldn't get i smile about it for at least a week!

Chances are since it's only your fourth sparring session they may have felt you did OK in the first three sessions and decided to up it a little.

My thoughts on the right hook would be that if he's able to hit you with it he is getting in very, very close to you. Maybe work on your distancing and movement to keep him away more. Don't get caught on the ropes.

It's hard to comment on the guard without seeing how you hold it and mine is not perfect so I will leave that question for someone else.

If you like what you are doing don't feel demoralized by this one experience - it happens to absolutely everyone especially when your coach feels like you are ready for a new challenge - which is a compliment really!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry - tried to edit that about 10 times to make it shorter and simpler but it didn't work - I waffled on a bit too much and maybe should leave some of the technical advice to the coaches!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Voodoo-Dude it was ur 4th sparring session...U took a beating u were hurt and mentally upset, Yet u go home log on to a boxing forum and ask questions on how to improve....Have you any idea how many people have quit because of what u have expierienced? U have jus showed ur will and heart to all of us...I only nineteen but iv been boxing since iwas 9...i stick to the principle that when a hook is thrown the opponent is then open to YOUR jab and straight right....Use your initiative take charge and never be afraid to go forward....And yeah those white lights are normal

Thread Information