Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defending only 'The ring' belt, does it still count?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Defending only 'The ring' belt, does it still count?

If you own only the ring belt, does that count as a title defense in the same way the WBC, BA BO and IBF? not just from a fans point of view but official record wise?

Like Joe louis is has the most title defenses of 25, if say a fighter, i dunno defended the wbc or ibf what ever, 23 times, but was forced to make pointless mandatories so vacated and only held the ring belt, made 3 more title defenses (26) would that count? would he then be known as the fighter who made the most defenses?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Defending only 'The ring' belt, does it still count?

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    If you own only the ring belt, does that count as a title defense in the same way the WBC, BA BO and IBF? not just from a fans point of view but official record wise?

Like Joe louis is has the most title defenses of 25, if say a fighter, i dunno defended the wbc or ibf what ever, 23 times, but was forced to make pointless mandatories so vacated and only held the ring belt, made 3 more title defenses (26) would that count? would he then be known as the fighter who made the most defenses?

Possibly if he held the Ring belt simutanuosly as the other(s). The only problem is that not a lot of people consider the Ring belt legitimate. For instance on boxrec.com there is never any mention of the Ring belt being defended or fought for.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

alot of boxing fans condiser the ring belt holder the real champ. IMO thats just another belt that adds to the confusion and the problem of having too many belt holders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to answer your question. you would defend the ring belt just like any other title. you would fight the rings mandatory challengers. the difference between the ring and the alphbet soup titles is that ring magazine doen't sanction fights. there rules have nothing to do with the boxing commision or any else. there just a magazine that says who they feel the champ is and who they think the champ should fight in order to keep there title.

basicly there just another santioning body without the fees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, Ring belt defenses would count. In America at least. ESPN uses the Rings title and rankings as there official ratings on Friday Night Fights.

I think the ring belt is equal to having all the alpabet belts unified.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Isn't the Ring title elected? I was under the impression that there is a board that elects who the champion of each division is.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only way to become the Ring Champ is to beat the ring champ. IF a title is vacant the #1 and #2 must fight to determine the true champion. THe Ring Champion is usually the same as the linieal champ.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC 128 Lance. I like the Ring. I wish the alphabet bodies can just go away and an independent authority could govern the rankings much the same way The Ring does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lance Uppercut
    The only way to become the Ring Champ is to beat the ring champ. IF a title is vacant the #1 and #2 must fight to determine the true champion. THe Ring Champion is usually the same as the linieal champ.
    They have changed it to where the 3rd rated contender can fight the #1 contender for it, either way the #1 has to fight the #2 or 3 for a vacant title or you have to beat the fighter that holds the belt or move weight classes.

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Isn't the Ring title elected? I was under the impression that there is a board that elects who the champion of each division is.
    I dont know about in the past but I know now that they do not do that. If you ever look at the rankings a lot of the lower weight classes dont have a champion, due to that fact the #1 contender hasnt fought the #2 or 3 contender.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    They have changed it to where the 3rd rated contender can fight the #1 contender for it, either way the #1 has to fight the #2 or 3 for a vacant title or you have to beat the fighter that holds the belt or move weight classes.

I dont know about in the past but I know now that they do not do that. If you ever look at the rankings a lot of the lower weight classes dont have a champion, due to that fact the #1 contender hasnt fought the #2 or 3 contender.
    Was only untill calzaghe beat lacy that the ring had a champion at SMw for the first time ever, so u do have to fight a certain ranked fighter to get it

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was only untill calzaghe beat lacy that the ring had a champion at SMw for the first time ever, so u do have to fight a certain ranked fighter to get it
    To become the Ring champ you have to beat the Ring Champ. Or if the title is vacant face the 1 or 2 ranked contender. And to hold on to the belt you have to face the 1 or 2 ranked challenger within a certain timeframe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat

To become the Ring champ you have to beat the Ring Champ. Or if the title is vacant face the 1 or 2 ranked contender. And to hold on to the belt you have to face the 1 or 2 ranked challenger within a certain timeframe.
    This is the link to the Rings ratings and championship policy:
    http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ratings2.html

This is what it says:

Fighters recognized as champions by The Ring are rated at the top of their division, with the top 10 contenders listed below.

Championship vacancies can be filled by winning a box-off between The Ring’s number-one and number-two contenders, or, in certain instances, a box-off between our number-one and number-three contenders.

The only three occasions when a fighter will lose his championship status are when he retires, moves to another weight division, or is defeated in a championship bout.

The Ring Ratings are compiled by the magazine’s editorial board, with the participation of The Ring Ratings Panel of boxing journalists from around the world. Click here for a complete panelist listing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is what it says:

Fighters recognized as champions by The Ring are rated at the top of their division, with the top 10 contenders listed below.

Championship vacancies can be filled by winning a box-off between The Ring’s number-one and number-two contenders, or, in certain instances, a box-off between our number-one and number-three contenders.

The only three occasions when a fighter will lose his championship status are when he retires, moves to another weight division, or is defeated in a championship bout.

The Ring Ratings are compiled by the magazine’s editorial board, with the participation of The Ring Ratings Panel of boxing journalists from around the world. Click here for a complete panelist listing.

So do I understand correctly that the panel votes on the rankings 1-10 (not including the champ)?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is what it says:

So do I understand correctly that the panel votes on the rankings 1-10 (not including the champ)?
    Appears to be that way, the only difference is that they dont say that you have to fight so and so to keep their belt. Once you get it you fight whomever you please. I believe they do the top ten lists so incase the belt becomse vacant they already have fighters in place, instead of scrambling around to come up with a list at the last minute.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn I never knew that. So a fighter has never been stripped of the belt because he didn't fight a top challenger? I could have sworn that was the case....that should be changed....

Thread Information