Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: My thoughts on the british heavyweight scene + brit heavyweight prospects

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default My thoughts on the british heavyweight scene + brit heavyweight prospects

OK so the deal is in the UK we have totally disorgranized merry-go-round of a heavyweight scene. The result of the fight between Danny Williams and Scott Gammer confirms that Britain has 4 decent-ish Heavyweights; Audley Harrison, Michael Sprott, Danny Williams and Matt Skelton. With the exception of Skelton - Harrison, they've all fought each other with varying results. The problem is that these men are getting old, and even though they've eventually fought each other no man has really established themselves and come out on top of the pile. They're all world top 50 heavyweights but none of them have managed to get into serious contention for a world title, despite what Matt Skelton has been told. I dont have much hope of any of these men winning a world title, but here's how I see their chances.

Out of this group of fighters the man who has the strongest claim to being a true prospect is Matt Skelton. After a career in kickboxing he turned pro late at age 35, and despite a lack of finesse bludgeoned his way into contention for the british title. He beat Michael Sprott in an upset to claim the british title and defended it three times. Before his loss to Danny Williams he was looking like he might go places, but despite clearly out-boxing danny in the rematch he has lost a lot of momentum. He's now 40 years old and hasn't fought in 8 months. He is in danger of letting his career slip away from him through inactivity. He could give the likes of Shannon Briggs and Oleg Maskeav, men who less than a few years ago were seen as journeymen, a hard 12 rounds but that speaks volumes about the lack of talent at the top of the heavyweight division. Maybe he should fight some older US guys, try and raise interest in a PROPER world title attempt and beat someone like Oliver McCall or Hasim Rahman. That'd be the best course for him now.

Danny Williams has also once again defied science and logic by regaining the british title a 2nd time by beating Scott Gammer. Danny holds the record for most british heavyweight title fights I think. There are reports that he weighed 228lbs for this fight but I find that impossible to believe. I've not seen the fight but it underlines how these 4 men are still on top in the domestic heavyweight scene. Scott Gammer's time may still come, but at the moment. Despite being obliterated by Audley Harrison and Vitali Klitschko he's still up there. He's had an amazing career, out of all of these men there is no doubt about who has achieved the most. The victory over Mike Tyson was a special moment in a career that could've been better if he'd have kept in shape. He has wins over all 3 other guys, and losses to them aswell. Right now, despite his victory over Gammer, I don't think he's got too much more to give. Danny's been in more wars than Germany and I hope he enjoys retirement. All the kipling cakes you eat.

Michael Sprott is the best kept secret britain has at heavyweight, and I was not as surprised as many when he KO'd Audley Harrison. Michael Sprott is the youngest of these guys at 32, but he's arguably fought the best and most varied opposition of all these guys. His 30-10 records has some quality names on it right from the start, including Corrie Sanders and splitting two fights with Timo Hoffman. He lost to Danny Williams on short notice the first time they fought, but after stringing together some great wins he got a rematch. He was clearly outboxing Williams until he got knocked out by a contemptously shady punch. There was a third fight to settle things which he won, but in fairness Danny didnt seem like he wanted to fight that night. Very odd behaviour. After being upset by Matt Skelton he made a smart move and went on the European circuit, where he was very impressive, beating a handful of undefeated German prospects. In the Harrison fight he was struggling to cope with Harrison at first, but he took his chance and really levelled Harrison. He's not known as a puncher but he's got a decent right hand. Coz of his 6ft size he'll never be a world beater, but he's a smart boxer and I think he'd comfortably go 12 rounds with all but the very best of the heavyweights out there. Might spring an upset against Skelton too.

That brings us to Audley Harrison. you have to save the most ridiculous for last. The 2000 Olympic Super-Heavyweight Gold medallist has spectacularly underperformed as a pro. Despite scaling the pinnacle of amatuer boxing he has achieved the least of these guys. This is made worse by the fact that of all these guys Harrison is the one who has the most talent and who should've gone on to be world class. To cut a long story short when he turned pro the whole scene looked ace. Danny was a real prospect, Sprott was coming into the picture, Herbie Hide as coming back and Matt Skelton was just turning pro too. If he'd have been aggressive and made those fights, he could've been massive. If he'd have taken Danny Williams and Michael Sprott in his first 10 fights can you imagine how massive he'd have been? Its tragic. We should've had a golden age, but Audley decided he wanted 10 shitty fights and Frank Warren froze him out coz he refused to sign up with him. If he'd have had tough fights early on, test his chin and heart, who knows how far he could've gone?! At times he's shown his talent. He just destroyed Danny Williams in their rematch, and when he is one his game he is a damn good fighter. But he appears to have no heart and no will to get hurt. He showed me that in his fights with Guinn and Williams. That showed me all I need to know. He tried to make another go at it with the Williams rematch and Sprott fight, and fair play to him for trying, but being aggressive and letting his hands go just totally backfired in that fight. Maybe his chin is why he was so timid previous to that? He has the talent to win world titles but its not looking likely.

So, its not looking good for British heavyweight propescts. All these guys are getting old and in about 3 years they'll be comfortably retired. So who is going to be in the british heavyweight mix then? Who are the prospects who will take over the division? Scott Gammer is a front-runner, he's not old and he was just unlucky coz Danny Williams was up for their fight. There's David Dolan, who I remember watching when he was an amatuer, is he any good? There's a young northern irish lad called Scot Belshaw who's signed up with Frank Maloney and he's 6ft7 and 240lbs, what bout him? I just wonder if there's anyone remotely promising on the horizon we can get behind once this generation goes away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My thoughts on the british heavyweight scene + brit heavyweight prospects

May I add David Haye, hasnt fought at heavyweight yet so its hard to judge how much he could do but hes grown into the weight naturally without having to bulk up so as long as he can take a couple on the chin from the bigger guys I reckon he stands a real chance up with the heavies. I think hed clear up the domestic scene with ease but he doesnt even seem worried about that hes looking straight at European and then world level fights. He's our best chance right now.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My thoughts on the british heavyweight scene + brit heavyweight prospects

Yeah I agree, beer

Haye has the class, whether or not he can cut it physically is another matter...but I think he'll do well, especially against the current crop of plodders.

Forget Gammer. Still can't work out what people saw/see in him?

Ive heard/read Maloney waffling about Belshaw being the "next big thing"...which means he'll get sparked by a journeyman in the not to distant future.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haye can punch, but technicaly hes not very good.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information