Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could change one rule....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If you could change one rule....

What rule would you change? I mean rules within the fight itself, so don't say "I'd combine the divisions," or "I wish there were only one belt."
    I mean rules that a ref actually rules on during a fight.

So for example, one rule that drives me nuts is how when a fighter loses the mouthpiece, the ref takes it to his corner, has it rinsed off, then puts it back in.
    This drives me crazy, because it kills tons of time, kills the flow, and gives a break to the guy who lost his mouthpiece.
    I know it's dirty to pick something off the floor and just stick it back in your mouth, but these are fighters, they're sweating and bleeding all over each other. They can put a mouthpiece back in without rinsing it.

For example, I thought Corrales gained a huge unfair advantage vs. Castillo by spitting out his mouthpiece twice. He got tons of extra time to recover. The ref should have been able to simply pick the mouthpiece up and shove it back in place.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If you could change one rule....

I agree. I think that if you lose a mouthpiece you should have to fight the round without it or take a knockdown/point deduction to get it put back in.

I would also consider having a set ring size so that top tier guys didn't have an unfair advantage because of their fighting style.

"If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

SigmaMu Guest

I hate fighters who come in with trunks that are too long.
    Some of these guys are wearing them as neck ties.
    The shorts should be like the ones they wore back in 70's and 80's
    There should be only one type of trunk not to long and not to short.
    I know you know what I mean. It's hard to tell a low blow sometimes when these guys are wearing shorts that are to long and too high and then they are even more confusing because the elastic band where the Everlast Logo goes is sometimes 8 to 10".

I don't like the ads painted on the ring. They are slippery sometimes.

Those stupid ads on the floor that are made of foam and are triangle shapes should also be removed from the sides of the ring. I have seen people slip on them.

Phuk a 24' ring.

Eeeeew. The mouth piece? That's a tough one. Have you ever smelled a boxing ring mat? They stink something horrible especially these special event ones which are roled up and stored and I don't think they clean them and they put them back in storage.
    Peoples spit, sweat and blood is all on this. However I do know where you are coming from because Chico was saved by this. There should be a rule here somewhere in which the corner has a spare one ready at all times and the ref has to run and get it. If the corner takes too long/stalls, maybe a point deduction or even lose the fight. Or better yet just let the fighter fight with out until the next round.

Everyone should have to wear Reyes gloves

I wish there was a way to get rid of excessive holding and grabbing.
    No holding unless you are hurt. This would make fights and not boring dances.

Allow pushing if holding and grabbing is allowed.

Allow back hands.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good discussion all around you all. I like the shorts idea and understand the nastiness of a boxing ring.....but a cool discussion. CC's all around
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    I would also consider having a set ring size so that top tier guys didn't have an unfair advantage because of their fighting style.
    I like the idea of a standardized ring size. It would give fighters one less thing to negotiate over and it might speed up the process of getting guys to agree on a fight.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Standing 8 count I think it's pretty much useless and meaningless wether hes out on his feet or hes not if so then stop the bout if not then let it continue.....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know I have always been amazed at the time they stop fights in sometimes. Like some guys fighting off the ropes take many unanswered shots but are allowed to continue because they are fine.
    While other guys are stopped. I guess the ref usually knows what fighting styles promenent guys have (like Toney) and if they aren't at the top probably couldnt take alot of unanswered shots.

But yeah the standing 8 is silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually like the standing 8 count. I think it takes a bit of pressure off the Ref . I believe that some referees wait to long because they just don't know what to do ! Its takes the pressure of stopping a fight too early, as well as the pressure of stopping a fight to late out of the equation ! and makes for a safer over all match .

The mouth piece needs to be washed off the first time . the second time a point needs to be deducted.

Excessive holding needs to be dealt with as with any flagrant foul.. a warning for the first time.. points taken away there after.. if your tired and fatigued in a match , you should have trained harder simple as that. Fatigue is what’s known as a personal problem.

Just my opinions.. CC all around..in 24 for everyone that didnt get one,,! nice thread sweetpea !

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont quite agree with the standing 8. But there are plenty of good and bad examples of the staning 8 count being used so its hard to argue. My opinion is if a ref is hovering dangerously near and he's body language is intrusive, you better start fighting back.

I also think a standard ring size is a good idea. Something that can be good for all types of fighters.

I wont say its a rule that needs changing but id like to see how fighters cope over 15 rounds these days. I think the Refs/ trainers and ringside doctors are a tad more saftey minded than they used to be. Plus if anything, you'd expect the fighters to a lot fitter these days. Obviously being dog tired is one reason why you get hit so much.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if u headbutt ur disqualified 1st time

dirty and uncalled for, you dont train 20 years with ur fists only to use ur head
    I'm the real pretty boy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

holding, needs to be stopped, getting worse and worse IMo, some refs are very fast on it and are in trying to stop it as it is happening! but even then it still recks the fight if they hold more than twice a round take a fucking point imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with the holding thing , but i don't agree with the guy who said "only holding when hurt" , I don't think you should be able to hold ever.

Also I agree with the trunks being too long so the belt line is very high. Take a look at Lennox Lewis vs Holyfield I , Lewis has the trunks so stupidly high ,
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem with the mouth peice isn't the runle but the ref's that enforce it...

They are supposed to wait untill there is a complete lull in the action....

EG-Fighters keep holding each other or one is just chasing the other around with no results....These refs seem to always stop the action or when only one guy is on the attack....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 3 knockdown rule because alot of fighters have lost because of this rule with flash knockdowns when not even really hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OPEN SCORING.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Thread Information